• May 09, 2024, 04:42:09 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Legalizing an Electric motorcycle in Ontario.  (Read 666 times)

PeterJay

• View Profile
Legalizing an Electric motorcycle in Ontario.
« on: June 16, 2023, 07:39:53 AM »

Hi,
I live in Ontario, and after 74 years of Gas powered 'bikes, I would like to try electric before hanging up my helmet.So far,other than Zeros and Livewires, Ontario seems to have little to offer, except eBikes with pedals, and I am not ready for that...yet. I like the look of the Super Soco CPX,available in BC and Quebec, not Ontario. Has any one had experience of importing these scooters (or similar), and actually managing to licence and insure them in Ontario.If so I would appreciate hearing from you. Thanks
Peter

Demoni

• Global Moderator
  • Energica Service Manager
    • View Profile
    • Energica
Re: Legalizing an Electric motorcycle in Ontario.
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2023, 02:52:35 PM »

You can import a motorcycle from the USA if it is on the approved list (linked below).
https://www.tc.gc.ca/motorvehiclesafety/safevehicles/importation/usa/vafus/list2/Section8_0.htm
Each manufacture on that list went through the process of submitting documentation proving their bikes conform to the standards required for Canadian vehicles. Not sure if there are other laws related to lower power 2 wheel vehicles?

Super Soco looks to have dealers in Canada. That would save you from having to import a bike from the states. Looks like there is a bit of additional paperwork needed to register a vehicle in Ontario purchased from another province.
https://www.ontario.ca/page/register-out-province-vehicle-ontario

PeterJay

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2023, 06:28:07 AM »

Hi, Demoni
Thank you for your prompt and very helpful reply to my inquiry.
The links will help me through the procedure.
I will now have to locate an insurance company familiar with electric vehicles, as a number I have approached have not been very helpful.

Thanks again for your help.
PeterJay

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2023, 11:34:32 AM »

PeterJay.  I don't know if they operate in Canada or not but Progressive is one company that will insure E bikes.  I had to use them, as recommended by my regular INS co to insure my bike.

the rates are not too horrible.  im upper 50's have a very good track record insurance wise but well, prices of stuff are going up and I have my full coverage / no BS replacement of entire bike / medical /liability to 500k etc etc for about 580 USD a year.

No I did not shop around, I was just looking to get insurance and figured that if my regular ins co  USAA recommended them, they can't be that bad.

Give them a try, it might help.
Aaron

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2023, 06:35:02 PM »

I have used Progressive since 2010 to insure me for $250K/$500K liability-only insurance. First to insure my Electric Motorsport GPR-S. That first year my premium was only $5 for the entire year  :o . However, the premium for that insurance has gone up steadily every year and is now $125 a year to insure my Zero S. While not bad, that is $20 more than they charge me for my BMW R12RS.  ???
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2023, 07:15:08 PM »

If you have any sort of medical on that it goes up a LOT, especially medical for others.
It don't take much for them to total a bike, here's your 30k, thats no biggie for them, what worries them more is
waah my pussy hurts, Im suing for 500k,  or in todays pathetic I want a free ride because Im special world.  50M.
If you are in ANY way at fault on an E bike, some schmeckel lawyer is going to say, oh E bike, so he's a rich child, lets see how much he is worth so we can grab it for denting your double wide with his rich boy toy.  This unfortunately as we see drives rates way up.

Aaron

marcthompson

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2023, 04:55:08 PM »

Hi,
I live in Ontario, and after 74 years of Gas powered 'bikes, I would like to try electric before hanging up my helmet.So far,other than Zeros and Livewires, Ontario seems to have little to offer, except eBikes with pedals, and I am not ready for that...yet. I like the look of the Super Soco CPX,available in BC and Quebec, not Ontario. Has any one had experience of importing these scooters (or similar), and actually managing to licence and insure them in Ontario.If so I would appreciate hearing from you. Thanks
Peter

Hey PeterJay,

Great to hear you're considering an electric bike! For your switch from gas to electric, besides Super Soco, do check out Zen, Elby, and Biktrix. I've got a Zen e-bike myself and love their service. A buddy of mine swears by his Elby too. They all offer different styles and features, so you might find something that fits your needs. Good luck with the insurance hunt – Progressive is a solid choice for e-bikes.
Pages: [1]