• May 08, 2024, 06:55:02 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: News from ChargePoint  (Read 1574 times)

DonTom

• View Profile
News from ChargePoint
« on: August 13, 2023, 04:19:35 AM »

See here.

I am using a free CP right now.

-Don-  Truckee, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
Re: News from ChargePoint
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2023, 05:48:25 PM »

There is a Chargepoint station by a Jersey Mike's that hasn't shown up in their app in MONTHS.  Strangely, the app on my phone still activates it, and I can charge my SR while having lunch.  I cannot monitor the charge from the app because it doesn't seem to recognize the station even though I was able to unlock it and initiate a charging session.  But this is my FAVORITE part:  Supposedly, it has a ridiculously high pricing rate (compared to others in the area), but I've NEVER seen it show up on my credit card.  Really really strange.  Hey, as long as it works I'm good!  At least the article above explains what MIGHT be going on.

https://www.plugshare.com/location/98738
« Last Edit: August 13, 2023, 05:51:55 PM by JaimeC »
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2023, 08:39:11 PM »

There is a Chargepoint station by a Jersey Mike's that hasn't shown up in their app in MONTHS.  Strangely, the app on my phone still activates it, and I can charge my SR while having lunch.  I cannot monitor the charge from the app because it doesn't seem to recognize the station even though I was able to unlock it and initiate a charging session.  But this is my FAVORITE part:  Supposedly, it has a ridiculously high pricing rate (compared to others in the area), but I've NEVER seen it show up on my credit card.  Really really strange.  Hey, as long as it works I'm good!  At least the article above explains what MIGHT be going on.

https://www.plugshare.com/location/98738
I wonder why "$3 + $0.29/kWh on one of the two stations, one is free!" at the same location.  Could you be using the free one?

-Don-  Reno, NV

1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2023, 12:22:40 AM »

Actually, the "free" one was out of order.  I went to that one first but the cable wouldn't unlock with my app.  Happened the last two times.  It LOOKS like it's working, but you can't get the cable unlocked.  Really really weird.  My friend thinks the stations were maintained by the "Anthony's Coal-Fired Pizza" restaurant that used to be in that little strip mall.  The restaurant closed and a veterinarian took over the spot.  Just wonder how long it'll take Chargepoint to remember they have stations there!
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2023, 04:06:37 AM »

Actually, the "free" one was out of order.  I went to that one first but the cable wouldn't unlock with my app.  Happened the last two times.  It LOOKS like it's working, but you can't get the cable unlocked.  Really really weird.  My friend thinks the stations were maintained by the "Anthony's Coal-Fired Pizza" restaurant that used to be in that little strip mall.  The restaurant closed and a veterinarian took over the spot.  Just wonder how long it'll take Chargepoint to remember they have stations there!
Do you have a ChargePoint Card? I have several of them and I have NEVER used the app at a CP.  I have only used apps on EA CCS, and only then when their credit cards readers do not work. I try to avoid turning on my cell phone for anything at all, until I really must.

CPs are normally owned by the property owner, which has not been working out as well as CP hoped it would. That is why there are countless old CPs all over that have not worked for years and most likely will never be repaired. No way to make any money on them when they once need to be repaired. But from the article, CP may be trying to change the way they do things.

The CCS charging business is a tough one. Often, they will need one charge after the other to make any profit and a lot of them get very little use, since most people only charge at home.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2023, 05:15:04 AM »

I've had a couple of those RFID cards, but they eventually broke off of my keychain so I don't bother any more.  I always have the phone with me (I'm either using it for navigation, listening to music as I ride, or have the Zero app running as a dashboard extension) so it's just easier.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2023, 06:23:48 AM »

I've had a couple of those RFID cards, but they eventually broke off of my keychain so I don't bother any more.  I always have the phone with me (I'm either using it for navigation, listening to music as I ride, or have the Zero app running as a dashboard extension) so it's just easier.
I have had that happen also, so I now keep the cards at several other places, such as in the charge door of my Zero DSR/X as well as in my wallet and other places. I have around six of the CP cards as that is what I use the most. I have a RFID card for every type of charger possible that I could possibly use, EV-Connect, EV-GO, Greenlots/Shell Recharge, Blink.

I use a GPS for navigation and music, with a directory for charge stations, which I often add to. Before a long ride, I always check Plugshare for where I am going.

-Don-  Reno, NV
« Last Edit: August 14, 2023, 09:35:14 AM by DonTom »
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2023, 08:57:18 AM »

Getting off-topic here but... I like using Google's Navigator because it routes around traffic, and can be set for "Electric Motors" and "Efficient Routing," neither of which my GPS can handle.  It can also point out nearby charging stations though I find Plugshare to be more accurate in that department.  Once it was supposed to be directing me to a J1772 site only for me to discover it was CCS-only.  Now, I double-check Google with Plugshare.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2023, 09:43:14 AM »

Getting off-topic here but... I like using Google's Navigator because it routes around traffic, and can be set for "Electric Motors" and "Efficient Routing," neither of which my GPS can handle.  It can also point out nearby charging stations though I find Plugshare to be more accurate in that department.  Once it was supposed to be directing me to a J1772 site only for me to discover it was CCS-only.  Now, I double-check Google with Plugshare.
I have a separate directory for AC stations and for DC charging. I also check Plugshare before a trip to make sure they are all working in route.

Seems we do not have to be concerned any more with the old version FW with Chargepoints. I think every one of them has been upgraded by now to the .22 that works with Energicas--perhaps CP is now the most reliable of them all for CCS on Energicas. They work for me every time on the first try. 15 seconds for initialization and then the charge starts every time.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Motoproponent

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2023, 03:58:53 AM »

I have around six of the CP cards as that is what I use the most. I have a RFID card for every type of charger possible that I could possibly use, EV-Connect, EV-GO, Greenlots/Shell Recharge, Blink.

-Don-  Reno, NV

I ordered some of those adhesive metal rings that are for mag safe accessories. I stuck one inside the frunk and have all the RFID cards in a magsafe wallet that just lives in there. pretty convenient.

further off topic, I just ordered a Blink card as I may be crossing paths with a Blink charger in the coming days. When I was responding to the "enter your vehicle" prompt I found that they don't have Energica as an option in the drop down, but they did have Zero, because of course, and also Brammo and Lightning.
"Life is a deathbound train"

2024 Energica Experia
@motoproponent on Youtube

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2023, 09:25:55 AM »

I ordered some of those adhesive metal rings that are for mag safe accessories. I stuck one inside the frunk and have all the RFID cards in a magsafe wallet that just lives in there. pretty convenient.

further off topic, I just ordered a Blink card as I may be crossing paths with a Blink charger in the coming days. When I was responding to the "enter your vehicle" prompt I found that they don't have Energica as an option in the drop down, but they did have Zero, because of course, and also Brammo and Lightning.
What type of Blink Charger? I assumed a DC fast charger until you mentioned Zero.

But I have used Blink AC J-plugs countless times, and they always work for me. Only a couple in this area, but I used many of them in AZ and Florida during my RV trips with my Zero DS. Blink is more common in other states than in CA & NV.

The only Blink I know of around here is this one. But it's in nice location in the CA mountains.

-Don-  Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2023, 03:06:38 PM »

Why are you getting the RFID cards?  Most the chargers I have seen here, you just fire up your app and hold the phone near the charger and it does it's thing, no card needed.

Personally, I do NOT need another card to fatten up the wallet more and be another item to lose, I kind of like the phone thingie.

Aaron

Motoproponent

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2023, 11:54:13 PM »

Sometimes I find myself in the boonies or in the parking garage basement with no cell signal. The RFID cards work reliably when there is no cell signal. Plus some networks, like the Shell Recharge, can be a real PITA to use the tap to pay or phone based app.
"Life is a deathbound train"

2024 Energica Experia
@motoproponent on Youtube

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2023, 07:40:49 AM »

The cell phone does not have to be on the internet or have service I don't believe,  it is using short range RF to communicate to the charger directly hence the tapping to it.  The charger is probably hardwired to the internet then, otherwise how would it know the card is valid etc etc? If they DID have it that way it'd probably be smart for them to set it up to be a hot spot for close phones so if you did need internet, you'd pipe it thru the charger.

The shell app not working well, now THAT I can understand.   Hmm I might want to invest in some damned cards then and keep them in a card holder strapped under the seat or something.

just speculation.

aaron

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2023, 07:57:23 AM »

The RFID cards work reliably
They aways work and only take a fraction of a second to use. I often activate a charger when somebody is at the next one still trying to use their cell to activate theirs.

I hate using Electrify America chargers because they do not have a RFID card available. They are my last choice to charge because of it. But if their CC readers work, it's then NBD.

-Don-  Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X