• May 09, 2024, 06:07:34 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Keep in mind, days getting shorter!  (Read 429 times)

jotjotde

• View Profile
Keep in mind, days getting shorter!
« on: October 09, 2023, 02:11:44 PM »

A few days ago I was involved in a severe accident when my bike buddy failed to give way to two other bikers who came out of the low standing evening sun.
Though the other biker tried to sverve around, both bikes collided nearly head on.

Fortunately there were no fatalities, but both riders sustained mutliple fractures and one of them was in critical condition for several days with the possibility of loosing his smashed right leg.
Kneeing besides my injured buddy holding her hand while she was in pain and wating for the ambulances to arrive is nothing I want to experience again. And you don't want this either, I can assure you.

So please have in mind that in the morning and evening the low standing sun might impair your vision or keep others from seeing you approaching!

Be safe, everyone!

Richard230

• View Profile
Re: Keep in mind, days getting shorter!
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2023, 07:38:22 PM »

Wow, that had to be a really tough experience. I agree that riding at this time of year just after sunup can be really dangerous as you can be blinded by the sun under some circumstances. It might be a good time to sleep in a little later before going for a Sunday ride.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Fran K

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2023, 07:46:22 PM »

Times change,   Maybe 20 years ago the American Motorcyclist Association (AMA) was advocating for the use of the word motorcyclist in place of biker.  To me biker denotes a culture where stompings and who deserves a stomping and the system of this kind of justice is something I don't evens try and understand.  Biker in other circles means bicyclist.

What sort of polycarbonate was the motorcyclist looking through that failed to yeild the right of way.  I have riden off road almost exclucively for the last 20 years, Have a few lumps here and there but not like the street riding folks that fail to keep both rubber tires properly pointing downward.  I mention this as yesterday I drove home with the electric motorcycle on the back of a pick up and scrubbed the inside of the winshield upon having vision problems relating to the sun.  Motorcycling is not economical, A new winshield for the pick up was $300,  I think that might get you 10 polycarconate visor things for a helmet.  My street bike pretty much dictates a full face helmet and clear visor to have acceptable wind noise.

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2023, 07:55:40 AM »

Let's not forget those very humid mornings as well where the dewpoint can make your helmet flash fog too.  THAT is not fun either, and wiping don't always help much.

I find that when the sun is right in my face, by tilting my head down and kind of squinting and looking slightly upwards towards the top of my helmet will help a lot with the glare.

Aaron
Pages: [1]