• May 08, 2024, 02:14:59 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Can it tow?  (Read 773 times)

Alan Stewart

• Electric Transportation Enthusiast
    • View Profile
Can it tow?
« on: October 30, 2023, 08:19:12 PM »

Alan
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR

SwampNut

• View Profile
Re: Can it tow?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2023, 05:43:48 AM »

An electric motor can move a planet given some time.  ICE could, given sufficient gearing.

Curt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2023, 07:10:05 AM »

ICE could, given sufficient gearing.

Definitely, but it might burn a clutch or two.

She should try to tow a TMX-500, a 60 metric ton diesel vehicle that is used to tow 747s and A380s (which are 450 to 550 tons. :) )

SwampNut

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2023, 12:33:03 AM »

ICE could, given sufficient gearing.

Definitely, but it might burn a clutch or two.

Not with sufficient gearing.

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2023, 02:22:56 AM »

I'd wager that even with the lowest practical gearing it might still be a struggle for a lot of gas bikes, the transition from that stationary to rolling phase, without hurting the clutch. You've really got to build up the pressure over a not insignificant amount of time before any forward progress is made. Still I'd like to see it attempted. The slow speed control and instant torque that this demonstrated is one of the things I love about electric bikes, not having to rev away and slip the clutch just to bump up a curb (which I do daily to park my bike) or off road manoeuvring at a sub walking pace or following behind creeping traffic. I've recently gone back to my 125 while my Zero is out of commission and boy does it make me realise how much easier it was.

SwampNut

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2023, 09:52:15 PM »

lowest practical gearing

I wasn't suggesting it would be practical gearing.

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2023, 02:17:29 AM »

By practical I meant physically possible, if we're talking some theoretical 10:200 gearing then might as well imagine a car clutch conversion  or even a bike powered by an 8 litre diesel. I'm imagining if someone took an otherwise stock average litre bike and had the ability to make the smallest and largest sprockets that would fit on the bike, whether it would be enough to pull a truck and still be able to ride home after.

SwampNut

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2023, 02:52:43 AM »

It's physically possible.

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2023, 07:30:39 PM »

Someone finally put the speed at which government works into a mechanical rendition !!

When the last cog makes a revolution, Lightning will celebrate by releasing the first of their Production models to the public !

Why does it have to have a clutch?  Why not use an automatic transmission for the ICE vehicle?  That way you have the steady applied torque and not have to worry about burning clutch plates out.

Aaron

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2023, 07:43:13 PM »

Someone finally put the speed at which government works into a mechanical rendition !!

When the last cog makes a revolution, Lightning will celebrate by releasing the first of their Production models to the public !

Why does it have to have a clutch?  Why not use an automatic transmission for the ICE vehicle?  That way you have the steady applied torque and not have to worry about burning clutch plates out.

Aaron

;D
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

SwampNut

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2023, 07:48:24 PM »

Aaron

;D ;D  And Tesla full self driving will be released!

And the Cyber Truck.

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2023, 06:16:28 AM »

Actually, I think they said the Cyber truck is being released real soon now.
But then again, his power wall was years late, and many many other things...and what even fewer noticed, specs on a LOT of his dream gadgets, quietly lowered in quality / stats etc.  Kind of like a Maxwell Smart storyline.

I wonder if he is going to do an e bike?   The E truck can recharge the E bike for you, right from it's tank.
surprised there isn't someone working on that, you run out of juice I can plug my car into yours, and siphon some trons to your tank.

Aaron

SwampNut

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2023, 07:00:25 AM »

Musk hates motorcycles and said they'd never make one.  Several EVs can provide power to other things.  At a recent EV show there was an F150 charging a Bolt.

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2023, 07:52:12 AM »

I know they have plans to power your house with your EV, but is that a reality yet?  There'd have to be some sort of module to do that, you'd basically have to relay out / decouple the drive motors, and use the inverter to generate your freq/voltage and send it to your mains on demand.    Or they could just add an additional inverter for a lot more money, but now you are letting the high voltage boogieman out of the box where a customer can potentially come into contact, opens up a whole new world of liability.  Have they actually released this yet?  As for grid interactive, I don't see that one happening for a long time either, power companies hate letting others into their power money monopoly.

Cool that you can do car to car right now.  That can alleviate a lot of range anxiety folks may have.  How long before we have hacking and middle of the night electric theft from vehicles.   Drive up on your zero, plug into the neighbors car and siphon out a few KW and drive off!

Hey theres an idea.  next one to do the cross country race, the Cannon ball is it? on an e bike, instead of having to find charging stations that work, just find a place like a starbucks that may have e cars there and see if you can get a charge off one of them.  Portable fill ups!  Arrange with a network of folks and you can stage charging stations all along your route and bust the hell out of the current record!

Aaron

SwampNut

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2023, 08:02:09 AM »

It’s not specifically car to car. It’s an inverter so you can plug in anything, including your house. The F150 can provide 240v 30a power in the bed and 80 amps to the house.
Pages: [1] 2