• May 09, 2024, 06:03:40 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: New guy intro.....  (Read 454 times)

Brit64

• View Profile
New guy intro.....
« on: December 07, 2023, 06:54:40 AM »

Hi, everyone, new here and to electric motorcycles.  Just bought a 2023 Zero DSR 14.4 from "On Any Moto" in Tucson.
I am an old biker, having owned many, who just rides round town here in Tucson and climbs nearby mountains plus very polite desert off-roading.  My DSR is a dream with it's smooth power and regenerative braking.  None to in love with the ergonomics and hoping to find some solutions of the forum.  Hope to be of help and gain knowledge too. 

DonTom

• View Profile
Re: New guy intro.....
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2023, 09:20:23 AM »

Hi, everyone, new here and to electric motorcycles.  Just bought a 2023 Zero DSR 14.4 from "On Any Moto" in Tucson. I am an old biker, having owned many, who just rides round town here in Tucson and climbs nearby mountains plus very polite desert off-roading.  My DSR is a dream with it's smooth power and regenerative braking.  None to in love with the ergonomics and hoping to find some solutions of the forum.  Hope to be of help and gain knowledge too.
Welcome!

I have been inside "On Any Moto" in Tucson a few times myself. I am fairly often in Tucson during my RV trips. I was in Tucson last less than two weeks ago, but I was then on the way to Gila Bend. I always take my Zero DS with me on my RV trips. In Tucson, I normally stay around six miles south of the Desert Museaum, at the Western Way next to Tucson Estates.

I know it was 80° F. in Tucson today, so this is probably the very peak of the Tucson riding season.

One of the nice things about electrics is no engine heat on hot days. But I want to mention if you ride in the temp extremes, expect charging problems when above 100° or below around 35° F. The Zero battery is comfy when we are, but at extreme temps the BMS will prevent the bike from charging to protect the expensive battery. So if you're going far in the summer there in Tucson, expect charging problems. It will not charge at all until the battery cools off. But you can leave the charge station running and even though it will not start to charge, it will start when left connected after the battery cools off a bit, so you can leave it connected to a J-1772 and let the charge start when the battery cools off. But it can take a long time, as even the charging will warm it up more and can turn the charging off again. A very long process. One I learnt the hard way.

You will get advance warning while riding. You will notice no regen as you ride when too hot. That means the BMS will not let the battery charge until cools off.

I was stuck in Carson City a couple of years ago with my 2017 Zero SR.  I couldn't charge before nighttime when it cooled off.

It was 102° F. that day, which could be considered cool for Tucson during the middle of a summer day.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2023, 10:21:42 PM »

Welcome Brit, hope you enjoy your new bike.

The electrics are fun and getting more versitile every day. 
There are a lot of knowledgeable people in the forums so please feel free to ask any questions you may have, I am sure that someone will have an answer for you.

Aaron

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2023, 02:32:10 AM »

If you're standing up when riding off road, or just like to stretch your legs and back, then some bar risers are essential unless you have arms long enough to rival a chimp (the downside of adapting a street frame for a "dual sport"). I've got 2 inches plus a little bit because I replaced my bars for ones with a little bit more rise and width, more than that and you'll need to replace the front brake hose for a longer one. There also exist some lowering pegs for certain model years of the RMZ250 that have the same fitment as the Zeros, but good luck finding a pair.

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2023, 06:33:03 AM »

Just goto the Harley store and get a pair of ape hangers, that should fix it ! 

Aaron
Pages: [1]