• May 08, 2024, 02:17:59 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: How will the SR/F do on Pike's Peak? Watch full run here.  (Read 612 times)

Bill822

• View Profile
How will the SR/F do on Pike's Peak? Watch full run here.
« on: July 01, 2019, 01:20:21 PM »

Interview with Cory West and full footage of his run.

Bill822

• View Profile
Re: How will the SR/F do on Pike's Peak? Watch full run here.
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2019, 02:46:52 PM »

The SR/F finished mid-pack racing against heavyweight street bikes. The race was marred by the death of the Carlin Dunne who was riding a Ducati prototype. Link to results: http://livetiming.net/ppihc/

Fran K

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2019, 07:58:30 PM »

I watched the video and when clicking on the watch in youtube it shows 369 views at this time.

The timber line seems to be at around minute 6:30 kind of abrupt not much distorted trees/shrubs before none.

Sure looks dangerous if one did not know a street sweeper had been by lately.  They must do something to remove dirt and dust from the road for this event?

Is this a toll road most of the year like the one on Mt Washington in NH?  Solid double line so might be frustrating if someone slow is in front.

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2019, 08:32:30 PM »

I did that road YEARS ago before it was fully paved to the summit.  AWESOME experience.  I did it on a rented BMW R1150GS.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

Fran K

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2019, 09:17:53 PM »

I did that road YEARS ago before it was fully paved to the summit.  AWESOME experience.  I did it on a rented BMW R1150GS.

Could you elaborate on "fully paved" and "did that road".  There are county maps for certain areas of the country with 6 levels of pavement and most folks would consider the lower ones as dirt.  Did you enter the event or ride the road?

Unrelated to the quoted text.   Kind of amusing Zero as in zero emissions and going on a two week excursion with a helicopter flying around.

alko

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2019, 10:11:27 PM »

I expected better results from the Zero, but I suppose it has some to do with a rookie roder. Sad about the rider who died because he hit a bump in the road on the last corner. At least thats what i read elsewhere.

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2019, 10:33:08 PM »

Could you elaborate on "fully paved" and "did that road".  There are county maps for certain areas of the country with 6 levels of pavement and most folks would consider the lower ones as dirt.  Did you enter the event or ride the road?

I was out in Colorado on business and rented the R1150GS instead of a car.  I arrived on a Saturday so I had Sunday free and since the weather was clear I decided to take a ride up Pikes Peak (as one does).  The road started out paved, but at some point the pavement ended and it was just dirt all the way to the top.  I understand the road is now completely paved from bottom to top.  I don't know about "6 levels of pavement."  Either the road is paved (and I'm not talking about the quality of the paving job or how well it is maintained) or it is not.  I have ridden unpaved roads that were far nicer than the paved roads in and around New York City.  The unpaved portion of the road to the peak was very well maintained.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2019, 09:11:42 PM »

And now this.
https://www.autoblog.com/2019/07/28/pikes-peak-motorcycles-canceled-2020/?yptr=yahoo

Racing is dangerous and all racers know what could happen.  I don't think this is what he would have wanted to happen.  Some guard rails I could see but hopefully it's just one year.

flattetyre

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2019, 01:01:22 AM »

Well that's bullshit. Guy must be rolling in his grave. News flash, a pro who pushes hard enough to fall off pike's peak is an extreme adrenaline junky and they'll just take risks elsewhere when banned from the hillclimb.

Personally I liked Pikes Peak better when it had dirt. It's still USA's most famous hillclimb but goddamn.
Pages: [1]