• May 09, 2024, 07:29:34 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Demo Ride - Impressions  (Read 2225 times)

bergercurtis

• Motorcycle junkie, new to EV
    • View Profile
Re: Demo Ride - Impressions
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2019, 10:37:01 PM »

When it comes to the SR/F though, with the bike already being much heavier I think an upgraded main battery is more important at this point. We need to move past 14.4kwh for the main battery. Lightning is supposedly squeezing 20kwh into their bike, Zero should be doing the same for 2020. If there was a 20kwh SR/F I'd most likely be riding one home.

Yeah, I wonder where the weight is. The carbon comes in around 485lbs with a 20kW battery. Either the carbon fiber really does a ton of weight reduction or they are really skimping elsewhere. The SR/F doesn't seem to have to much for excess weight.
-Curtis
2020 Zero SR/F Premium Seabright Blue
Licensed Zero Dealer in Colorado Springs

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2019, 11:02:00 PM »

Or the Strike's numbers are made up because it doesn't exist.

bergercurtis

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2019, 11:52:41 PM »

Or the Strike's numbers are made up because it doesn't exist.

Yeah I'm wondering where even a prototype is. I've been checking for any summer 2019 updates (since they were set to release about now) and can't find anything yet. Apparently they are taking deposits or orders though, so I'm curious as to what exactly is happening.
-Curtis

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2019, 12:57:41 AM »

There's an Open House in 2 days about an hour and a half north of me. From what I can glean they will be scheduling demo rides at this event. That is to say there will not be demo rides at the event, but this event will be used to schedule demos in the future.

I saw the Strike in person on July 4th at Corbin's. No one rode it; they pushed it around to maneuver it. I spoke with a Lightning employee who wandered over to our booth. Very nice guy. I asked him the operating voltage of the Strike, and he said, "About 150V"
"So how does that work with CCS needing 200V minimum?" I asked
"Uh. You'd have to ask Richard" he stuttered and hurried off.

Bill822

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2019, 05:33:48 AM »

... That is to say there will not be demo rides at the event, but this event will be used to schedule demos in the future. ...

After paying a deposit I'm sure. This company just doesn't smell right. quite some time back I tried to order an LS218 and couldn't get them to get back to me. Then they came out with these specs that just don't add up (see weight vs. battery). Remember Zero's power tank adds less than 3kWhr but weighs 45 pounds.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2019, 05:46:57 AM »

So the LS218 is only vaporcycleware?

Specs sound a bit too good, IMO also.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2019, 06:07:04 AM »

You're both correct. That chart claims that for 30 lbs more you can get:

+ 10kWh battery capacity
+ 3.3kW AC charging
+ CCS charge controller on a bike that operates at 150V but needs minimum 200V to use CCS

Anyone going to the Open House?

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2019, 06:16:20 AM »

Here are the specs for the LS-218 as of 2014. 
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

flattetyre

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2019, 07:53:35 AM »

The LS218 definitely exists. It ran Pikes Peak and you can buy one yourself if you're rich. It's also an extremely dangerous and hard to ride bike. The only thing it has in common with a SR/F is 2 wheels and electrons.

Bill822

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2019, 08:01:39 AM »

Anyone going to the Open House?

I wish I could. Would be interesting to try to get a squint at some components, see what grade stuff they are using, see if it looks realistic.
FWIW, I hope what they say is true. I hope they deliver bikes. I just can't have confidence in that with what we've seen so far.
What I do know is that false promises undermine the whole industry.

flattetyre

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2019, 08:29:00 AM »

After paying a deposit I'm sure. This company just doesn't smell right. quite some time back I tried to order an LS218 and couldn't get them to get back to me. Then they came out with these specs that just don't add up (see weight vs. battery).

How hard did you inquire about the bike? Emails get lost, phone calls can be missed and not returned, and most people who inquire probably are not serious. It's true that the company's behavior doesn't look great.

Also re the battery weight my understanding was that the higher capacity models also had further weight reduction from lighter components. Is that not true?

Bill822

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2019, 09:19:14 AM »

...higher capacity models also had further weight reduction from lighter components. Is that not true?

The "Carbon" version has carbon fiber bodywork and maybe some other bits. Custom carbon parts engineered and manufactured to actually save weight, not just looks, cost as much as they are asking for the whole bike. That's OK since a 20kWhr battery, 90kW motor, and high power controller also cost as much as they are asking for the whole bike. Since weight savings with carbon are a low benefit to cost option it only makes sense once you have done everything else. The numbers on these things just don't add up.

I watched the same thing happen with the Elio Motors fiasco. Somebody got some quotes, looked up some parts in a wholesale catalog, and decided they could build a car for cheap. I'm speculating here, giving the benefit of the doubt. I think most people start out wanting to be honest and do something great. Details just tend to get in the way. Engineering is hard. Manufacturing is hard.

flattetyre

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2019, 09:46:26 AM »

I calculate ~$7K for battery and motor + controller in volume assuming they use canned cells.

bergercurtis

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2019, 10:16:28 AM »

I calculate ~$7K for battery and motor + controller in volume assuming they use canned cells.

Now plus Ohlins, Brembo, carbon fiber, swingarm, frame, fairings... R&D, staff and two facilities paid for, assembled and QA tested ready to warranty made in small quantities- that's a hell of a deal at $20k. Almost like a backwards early adoption (I dream for XRP) cost.
-Curtis

flattetyre

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2019, 12:23:03 AM »

I want to believe!!!  ;D
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4