• May 07, 2024, 12:16:31 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Zero DS in the trunk of a toyota Matrix?  (Read 1755 times)

Doctorbass

• Battery tech
    • View Profile
    • Endless-sphere.com
Zero DS in the trunk of a toyota Matrix?
« on: February 23, 2012, 06:49:07 AM »

I will get my DS  s in the US and i'll  make a little trip from Quebec, Canada to the US to get it.

I just wonder if you think that it can enter in a 2005 Toyota Matrix?   ??? or if i'll have to fid another car or truck?

My GF have the Matrix and i think that the room seem ok if i uncrate it and  just kleep what is inside ?

The Matrix have 53.2 cu ft of storage

Is the front wheel  and handle bar easy to remove?

or miraculously, does the normal zero crate can enter in that trunk ?

Doc
Zero Drag racing bike: 12.2s 1/4 mile and 7.3s 1/8 mile

T w i t t e r  :     http://twitter.com/DocbassMelancon

craigq

• View Profile
Re: Zero DS in the trunk of a toyota Matrix?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 07:09:46 AM »

There's a couple of Zero dealers in Quebec, one near Montreal, one near Sherbrooke, one near Trois-Rivieres. Have you tried those first ? I can't remember if you want new or used, but they might have 2011's at a reduced price...
bikeless

manlytom

• View Profile
    • Fans of Zero MC for Australia - pls support
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 07:40:44 AM »

Hi the Zero is a motorbike. So reasonable large. More like a 250 bike. If still in crate someone might be able to advise on measurements?
T
Tom
bikes: Kreidler RMC, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VT600, Zero 2010S, Harley XL1200 roadster, Zero 2011S -- all of them sold, Zero 2014S -- sadly written off, HD Livewire 2020
http://www.facebook.com/ZeroElectricMoto

Harlan

• View Profile
    • Hollywood Electrics
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 07:49:42 AM »

I would be very surprised if you could squeeze a Zero into the trunk of that car.  I would suggest a motorcycle trailer or hitch hauler.
Harlan Flagg
Hollywood Electrics
http://www.hollywoodelectrics.com

Doctorbass

• Battery tech
    • View Profile
    • Endless-sphere.com
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 10:06:50 AM »

There's a couple of Zero dealers in Quebec, one near Montreal, one near Sherbrooke, one near Trois-Rivieres. Have you tried those first ? I can't remember if you want new or used, but they might have 2011's at a reduced price...

The deal i have is in the US

Doc

Doctorbass

• Battery tech
    • View Profile
    • Endless-sphere.com
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 10:08:30 AM »

I would be very surprised if you could squeeze a Zero into the trunk of that car.  I would suggest a motorcycle trailer or hitch hauler.

OK.. hmmm... and are the wheel easy to remove?.. I mean i can squeeze two electric DH mtb in that trunk.. each weight 100 pounds... and it look really similar lengh than the zero?

ANYONE WITH THE DIMENSION OF THE ZERO CRATE?

DOc

Biff

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 10:35:44 AM »

I think if you take off the front wheel / fender you should be able to do it, maybe remove the rear.  My friend managed to fit an S into the trunk of his Porsche 944.

The cool thing is you can lay it on its side without worrying about gas leaking out.

dkw12002

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 11:06:29 AM »

I put a 24 in. e-bicycle in the back of my Prius but not a 26 in. bike, so I doubt you could fit the Zero in your car, plus it's heavy and you could hurt yourself and scratch up your car.

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 12:29:23 PM »

Yeah. You'd probably have help loading it at the dealer, but if you had to remove it at the border crossing it could be difficult.

I think it would fit fine if you removed the front wheel, but it'd be tight and awkward with the wheel in place.

Zero dimensions are probably around 80" x 36" x 40" if you want to measure. Crate is likely significantly larger.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

craigq

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2012, 04:01:12 PM »

The deal i have is in the US

Doc

Did you verify with Transport Canada/Registrar of Imported Vehicles that you can legally import a Zero from the US ? I don't see it in their list of admissible vehicles (although they do state their list *might* no be up-to-date): http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/safevehicles/importation/usa/vafus/list2/Section8_0.htm
bikeless

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2012, 09:34:49 PM »

When my Electric Motorsport GPR-S expired I gave it to my daughter for her husband to try to resurrect it in his spare time (no luck so far). Since it would not make it under its own power to their home, she drove over in her Subaru station wagon, we took the tank and wheels off, removed some of the batteries, managed to stuff the bike into her wagon and even got the hatch closed.  Where there is a will, and a set of wrenches, there is a way.   ;D

Or you could just buy one of these.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Brammofan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2012, 09:47:32 PM »

I rented a motorcycle trailer from U-Haul and it was about $40 a day... maybe less.  Of course, I already had a hitch receiver on my Honda Pilot. 

The point that craigq makes about importing the vehicle is a very valid one if you want to license it.  Definitely something that you should consider, assuming you haven't already.
2010 Brammo Enertia

oobflyer

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2012, 11:45:24 PM »

When I picked up my Zero S last month the store had several more still in crates in front of the store. I didn't measure, but I stood next to one of the crates. I would estimate that the crate measures:

1.5 x 1 x 2 meters (4 1/2 x 3 x 6 feet).

I don't think it would fit in the car... but the dealer will un-crate it and set it up for you - maybe they know about trailer rentals.

Alternatively - why don't you take a few days to ride it home? You could charge overnite at a motel on the way home    :)
2021 Energica Ribelle, 2015 Zero SR, 2012 Zero ZF9, 2007 Vectrix VX-1 Li+, 2012 Nissan Leaf, 2018 Nissan Leaf, 2020 Nissan Leaf, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2023 Tesla Model Y

nick5446

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2012, 12:58:52 AM »

Not gonna happen. If you extensively disassembled it you could get it in there with help from 2-3 people, but I can assure you you would damage the interior of the car. They're not as light as they used to be!

The crates are approx 6'Lx4'Tx2.5'W

Try getting a hitch carrier or borrowing a pickup truck.

manlytom

• View Profile
    • Fans of Zero MC for Australia - pls support
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2012, 08:32:34 AM »

guess better ride it - or is it that far ? charge & ride

or get one of these ebikes:
http://www.boxxcorp.com/brochure/boxx

btw I got my 2011 S direct from US to Australia and it seems we are having trouble with registration. Guess I might have similar problems. From my Harley I know that the VIN is different for domestic (US) and export markets. Is that the case with Zero? if so, anyone knows ?
T
Tom
bikes: Kreidler RMC, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VT600, Zero 2010S, Harley XL1200 roadster, Zero 2011S -- all of them sold, Zero 2014S -- sadly written off, HD Livewire 2020
http://www.facebook.com/ZeroElectricMoto
Pages: [1]