• May 15, 2024, 06:33:50 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: San Jose, CA charging station news  (Read 250 times)

Richard230

• View Profile
San Jose, CA charging station news
« on: August 04, 2020, 03:53:03 AM »

If you live in or travel through or past San Jose, CA and points south you might find this article interesting.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

DonTom

• View Profile
Re: San Jose, CA charging station news
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2020, 07:51:37 AM »

If you live in or travel through or past San Jose, CA and points south you might find this article interesting.
Plugshare must show at least a thousand places to charge in San Jose as it is. However,  I realize there are countless EV's in the San Jose area.

When I went to Mtn. View to buy my Energica, I took my Tesla.   Every Supercharger slot was taken, but I lucked out because somebody just left when I got there and there was no line. But that was late at night!

What surprised me the most is the number of charge stations at "San Francisco Outlets", the mall in Livermore, CA. Every type of charger possible, more than I could count, and every one of them being used, regardless if Tesla, CHAdeMO,  CCS or  J-1772. But that was on a busy Saturday.

I don't think the south bay as well as the Livermore area  could ever get enough. And the very expensive property there must add to the problem of getting more charge stations installed in some areas.

So it looks like the new 172 charge stations will be helpful there. But I would like to see more charge stations located outside of the crowded areas.

I wish I could choose where the new 172 charge stations  are being installed! 

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2020, 01:47:19 AM »

I pointed out to Don several times that many of the plugs shown on Plugshare are private, which isn't entirely helpful.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2020, 02:35:17 AM »

I pointed out to Don several times that many of the plugs shown on Plugshare are private, which isn't entirely helpful.-Crissa
And if they are, such is usually mentioned on Plugshare. But if you find one that is NOT mentioned which is private and doesn't says so, then it is YOUR job to check-in on PlugShare and say so. We, the EV users are the ones who make Plugshare the most useful.

In advance, I know which charge station  locations to avoid and not even look at. There are several where things are unclear. Those I go to. An example is how it says "$10.00 to use beach" at King's Beach Rec area. The truth is that it costs $10.00 just to get to the rather useless boat outlet. BTW, I do have the adapters for those with my bike, but I am not going to pay ten bucks to use it with so many other better free charge locations around that area.

So notice my non-charge check-in comment there.  I have been to most of the charge stations around Tahoe. A couple I will get to on my next trip out that way.

It's a hobby of mine to go to charge stations to check them out. It's a great way to have a ride to a new place or whatever. I found some really nice places to charge around Tahoe. My favorite is to use the Tesla Destination Charger behind the Chase Bank in Zephyr Cove, NV. I charge my Zero SR there at above 6KW with my Tesla-Tap. I have also charged my Energica there. A nice Shady place in the trees behind the bank with a picnic table, just a few feet from the Tesla Destination Charger.  I often check up on my emails and forum  messages from there. Many great restaurants within a very short walking distance, just across the street.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X