• May 05, 2024, 06:51:03 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Energica Eva 107 vs Zero SR  (Read 4618 times)

buki67

• View Profile
Re: Energica Eva 107 vs Zero SR
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2018, 07:16:49 AM »

Ultrarnr,

Multistrada is a very strong bike in every sense (comfort,power,brakes,etc) but EVA
is a different animal, very smooth power delivery and strong ANYTIME you want it. Definitely pulling stronger then multi and probably any other similar motorcycle.
I have ridden motorcycles for a long time but nothing compares to EVA, yes it's 620 lbs but is easily manageable when you are moving, suspension is hard and on the sporty side, but I need some time on the bike to set it up. So far I felt a lot of weight on my hands in the original handlebars position, but after installing 2'' Rox risers it's much better for me. This motorcycle is not meant to be my daily ride: it's much different then anything else but I am learning more about it every day. I like the technology and challenge behind it, and this is probably the future of transportation (necessity or pure pleasure) and I don't want to be late.[/size]
And as far as I know any dealers that I go to have no interest or never even heard of Energica.
2018 Eva 107  2017 Zero FXS  2016 Honda cb500x
2015 BMW R 1200 RT   2013 DUCATI MTS 1200 Pikes peak  2012 Motoguzzi griso 1200

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2018, 07:53:44 PM »

I just finished reading the April issue of the UK publication Bike. At the back of the magazine they have a summary of all of the motorcycles that they have tested in recent years and here is what they have to say about the 2017 Eva:

Price: 27,999 pounds; Top Speed: 125 mph; Power: 107bhp; Range: 60 miles per charge; Comments: Great acceleration, ace response, great quality. But pricey and charging points are still rare. Rating: 6/10; Tested: Oct 2017.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

hubert

• '14 Zero S, nuke charged
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2018, 11:44:53 PM »

" charging points are still rare"

This is a typical smoky vehicle driver/rider statement. Very effective at deterring people from buying EV's. No matter the number of wheels. For MB even more than for cars, the main charging point is at home. And this point is not really rare, usually available every day, or night!
2014 Zero S
Velomobile "Quest"
Mitsubishi i-MiEV

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2018, 12:17:13 AM »

nothing compares to EVA, yes it's 620 lbs but is easily manageable when you are moving.
holy crap! I understand a bike feeling weightless when moving, but I did not know it weighted THAT MUCH.

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2018, 12:43:51 AM »

" charging points are still rare"

This is a typical smoky vehicle driver/rider statement. Very effective at deterring people from buying EV's. No matter the number of wheels. For MB even more than for cars, the main charging point is at home. And this point is not really rare, usually available every day, or night!

I agree that the statement is very effective at deterring people from buying EVs. Unfortunately it is a true statement here in the UK.

I also agree that the main charging point will be at home for motorcycles. That's true for all EVs, but even more so for electric motorcycles that are only really suitable for commuting at the moment.

I've been through the cycle of owning both an electric motorcycle and a car. I've still got the motorcycle but I ditched the car. There are a lot of charging points, but nowhere near enough. This is especially true for rapid chargers, which is what the Eva relies on to make up for its lack of range.

Through bitter experience, I've found that it isn't enough to have one option at each stopping point. There needs to be another option within a mile, just in case option 1 isn't available for whatever reason.  People don't mind waiting for a couple of minutes for a petrol pump to become free. Well, they do mind, but they'll tolerate it. If they can drive to another petrol station within a couple of minutes they'll do that instead of waiting.  I have to say that it's the lack of charging infrastructure and its poor quality that is holding EV adoption up here in the UK.

If I was wealthy enough, I'd have a Zero SR and an Energica Eva or Eco. I'm sure I'd also have a couple of ICE bikes in the stable too. I'm not though and most people aren't either. They can afford to own one bike, maybe two.  That one bike has to do it all; be fun, do the commute and be capable of longer trips when the opportunity presents itself.  Yes, I'm talking about my own circumstances here, but I'm sure they're not that dissimilar to many others'.

The best all-round bike I've owned was the Fazer 1000. It's in my profile photo. It did it all.  I had to make some big compromises when I bought a Zero, but I've kept it for over two years because it's the best bike for commuting and that's most of my riding.

I would dearly love to buy an Eva. Failing that, I would dearly love to buy an SR with the new charge tank. It's just the cost of it all. Bum.

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2018, 02:12:28 AM »

I just finished reading the April issue of the UK publication Bike. At the back of the magazine they have a summary of all of the motorcycles that they have tested in recent years and here is what they have to say about the 2017 Eva:

Price: 27,999 pounds; Top Speed: 125 mph; Power: 107bhp; Range: 60 miles per charge; Comments: Great acceleration, ace response, great quality. But pricey and charging points are still rare. Rating: 6/10; Tested: Oct 2017.

A lot cheaper in California.  Clean air cap and trade subsidy, I hear.

our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2018, 03:56:11 AM »

While I was riding my Zero today, I saw a very green Eva in the wild.  The rider was turning right from Linda Mar Blvd. on two northbound Highway 1 in Pacifica, CA.  The time was exactly 11 am PDT.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 04:56:26 AM by Richard230 »
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

SBK74

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2018, 02:10:48 PM »

Hi, I am Sjerp, living in the Netherlands. Very nice review! I own an Energica EsseEsse9 since April 17th, which I ordered early December. I have done 600+ miles in a week and before I got the Esse, my dealer lent me a 2017 Eva for a month, on which I did 1900 miles. I have tested a 2017 Zero SR for two days commuting, just as a BMW C-evolutiuon a year earlier. Before electric, I have been driving a BMW 1150RS for 8 years.

I almost ordered a 2018 Zero SR with charge tank and luggage kit but decided to visit the Energica dealer (who also sells Zero) to compare the deal. I then learned that the Eva was actually not that much more expensive* and had CCS charging (3x faster than Zero with new charge tank), a total game changer. After the two days test, I was convinced, not so strange though, as a BMW driver.

I underline the power consumtion difference: I have the impression that the Zero is a bit more economical, probably a combination of drive train efficiency and overall aerodynamics (Eva is also wider). With the Eva staying below 10kW/100 km is a challenge. For my commute (38 miles) not a problem at all. With 60-80mph travel, I always arrive at work with 40-48% battery left. With heavy traffic, I can manage 50%.

On the first meters, I have the impression that the Eva 80kW acceleration is a match with the Zero SR. The Eva has a more delicate launch. At mid-speed Eva pulls much harder.

Again, very good review of the Eva 107. If there are questions regarding the EsseEsse9, I'm happy to open a topic.

*Edit: end of 2017 my dealer started lowering 2017 Eva prices. In EU, now a 2017 Eva is cheaper than a 2018 SR with Charge tank.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 02:26:20 PM by SBK74 »
2018-2022  EsseEsse9
2022-         2021 Ribelle RS

ultrarnr

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2018, 02:09:20 PM »

SBK74,

Congratulations on the Esse! Have you tried CCS charging yet? What regen setting do you use?

deklund

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2018, 10:27:54 PM »

Ultranr,

I also have a Zero, a 2017 DSR. I've been happy with all aspects except the chassis which rides poorly to me.  I have experimented with suspension adjustments as has the dealer a couple of times, but what I find is that small bumps seem to make the chassis vibrate for a period. This can be especially annoying if I'm on the freeway and I hit a series of expansion joints or other bumps at a particular rate. If the pavement is bump free, the ride and handling are fine, but if the chassis gets going... not so good. I have never felt this happen on my other bikes. My conclusion is that it has something to do with frame stiffness or lack of it. 

Enter the Energica Eva, I just picked it up, but the ride and performance feel similar to one of my previous bikes a BMW K12RS.  The ride is slightly firm, but feels very controlled and familiar.  Hopefully the range will not give me too much trouble since twisting the throttle (is that what we still call it) is fun well beyond where the Zero tapers off. 

Question to you and other US based owners, who are you buying insurance from?

D

SBK74

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2018, 01:35:38 AM »

SBK74,

Congratulations on the Esse! Have you tried CCS charging yet? What regen setting do you use?

Thanks, yes, I have tried CCS charging, works well. The biggest Dutch fast charging operator (FastNed) offers 'autocharge'; the charger recognizes the vehicle after plugging in and starts charging automatically. Must say that CCS charging is only for my (weekend) trips, but allows me to stick with one bike. For regen I always use medium or strong. The blinking brake light is also great to keep traffic at safe distance. I already had a 'Oh sh*t' moment, that I had switched it off (to zip a right pocket), and before a corner anticipating on the regen to be active...
2018-2022  EsseEsse9
2022-         2021 Ribelle RS

ultrarnr

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2018, 06:50:40 AM »

D,

I have my insurance through Progressive, have had them for a few years now, no problems. Agree with the throttle fun. The Zero launches hard but tapers at the upper levels, the Eva pulls hard all the way.

I played with regen settings a bit but now keep it on strong. When I switch to my KTM I have to remember that rolling off the throttle does not slow the bike down and that I have to use the brakes! So easy to get used to accelerating and braking through the use of the throttle. I did ride my Zero last week and it was like there is no regen at all once you are used to the Eva.

Gilly

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2018, 12:35:40 AM »

Hi all,

I’m currently running a Zero SR in the U.K. Seriously thinking on upgrading to an EVA but I’m really struggling to find an insurance company willing to cover the EVA. I didn’t experience too much trouble with the Zero. Any suggestions from other Energica U.K owners on which insurance companies offer cover?

Many thanks in advance for any help.

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2018, 12:08:46 AM »

Hi all,

I’m currently running a Zero SR in the U.K. Seriously thinking on upgrading to an EVA but I’m really struggling to find an insurance company willing to cover the EVA. I didn’t experience too much trouble with the Zero. Any suggestions from other Energica U.K owners on which insurance companies offer cover?

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Welcome Gilly. Try Wicked Quotes.

What model year SR do you have?

Gilly

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2018, 02:48:40 AM »

Hi Ultrarnr,

Thanks for the reply, I’ve tried Wicked Quotes, it was a no to the EVA. I insured the Zero with Wicked for one year but I’m currently with Carole Nash. I’m still in discussions with Carole Nash to see if they would cover the EVA, they’re first response was no.

The Zero SR is a 2015 withPower Tank. I am very happy with the SR but the temptation of CCS charging and the bigger physical size of the EVA are getting very hard to resist!
Pages: 1 [2] 3