• May 18, 2024, 02:51:31 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Heated Grips  (Read 3232 times)

Richard230

• View Profile
Re: Heated Grips
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2023, 04:15:33 AM »

I have had good luck with internal-battery-powered gloves. They do a good job of keeping my hands warm on a short ride, but mine only last for about a hour on the highest setting before needing to be recharged. There are a ton of heated gloves for sale on Amazon. Cheap ones for hiking, skiing and snowmobile riding and expensive ones for motorcycle usage.

Heated gloves powered via a 12V system off of an outlet on the bike should work just fine if you don't mind the wiring flapping around a bit.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2023, 09:49:12 AM »

I have had good luck with internal-battery-powered gloves. They do a good job of keeping my hands warm on a short ride, but mine only last for about a hour on the highest setting before needing to be recharged. There are a ton of heated gloves for sale on Amazon. Cheap ones for hiking, skiing and snowmobile riding and expensive ones for motorcycle usage.

Heated gloves powered via a 12V system off of an outlet on the bike should work just fine if you don't mind the wiring flapping around a bit.
I also own both, the battery heated gloves and the ones that need a 12V connection to the bike. I normally use the battery ones and I take spare charged batteries with me. Mine are the SnowDeer motorcycle gloves. I cannot get an hour on the highest settings, perhaps a half hour. But that will get me over the summit where it is the coldest. It is really cold up that way now. A couple of days ago, I rode east on Highway 20 to Cisco Grove. It was VERY cold on my Experia. I used both, the heated grips as well as the gloves on the highest settings. Lots of snow on the ground and possible ice on the roads in some shady areas. I had to be extra careful and slow to avoid the wetter areas.

I wanted to check to see if I could use the CCS  Chargepoints at Cisco Grove. But I couldn't get to them. They are buried in the snow!  So I came back in I-80, tried the CCS ChargePoint in Colfax. It did NOT work. And it's the same type of charger at Cisco Grove so I assume it runs the same FW. But I used the ChargePoint J-1772 there and then had lunch. Cisco Grove also has a J-1772.

Today, I rode my Experia 161 miles. I first went to Forest Hill, then to Georgetown. Then to Plymouth and then back home via Folsom Lake. I did slow AC charge a few minutes in Georgetown and Plymouth (while I had lunch). Both were free charge stations. I put my bike on Plugshare. See here and here.

-Don-  Auburn, CA

1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

joesedroid

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2023, 02:40:27 AM »

Just got my heated grips installed today, easy instructions and work great. Took about 45 mins and I took my time, easier then the Koso's ive done in the past. Its been cold enough in Colorado to use them daily, excited to try them out.
Joe
2023 ss9

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2023, 05:59:35 AM »

They keep the bottoms of your hands toasty, the tops still get frosty.
If you wear gloves you may not feel them too much.
Be careful on the high setting, they can get hot enough to almost burn when you grab them after being on a few minutes.

Otherwise they aren't bad on mildly cool / cold days.

Aaron

wadejesu

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2023, 12:45:02 AM »

Here in Alabama today heat index is 120F, does anybody make cooled grips?

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2023, 01:15:24 AM »

Here in Alabama today heat index is 120F, does anybody make cooled grips?
Connect up one of these to your gloves.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

joesedroid

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2023, 05:00:39 AM »

Just got my heated grips installed today, easy instructions and work great. Took about 45 mins and I took my time, easier then the Koso's ive done in the past. Its been cold enough in Colorado to use them daily, excited to try them out.
Joe
2023 ss9

Well, They seemed to work at first but now they reach a high temp of 65F degrees.
I did notice one thing tho, I had my bike charging for an hour and noticed they were heating while the kickstand was down. Yes the manual/physical grip was on but I thought the bike had to be in "go" mode to make them heat? Anyone else have their grips run when charging?
Joe.

ultrarnr

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2023, 03:00:43 PM »

My bike is charging now and turned the grips on to see if they would heat but so far nothing.

PWM

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2023, 12:25:02 AM »

I thought the bike had to be in "go" mode to make them heat? Anyone else have their grips run when charging?

[/quote]

That's correct and an icon pops up on display when heated grip switch gets activated.

Seems reasonable to assume if heated grips come on during charging the driver/relay output is shorted.
BMW eK75 Conversion (Retired)
Energica EVA Ribelle (Black Frame Matters)

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2023, 12:43:37 AM »

My grips only activate when the bike is in the ready to drive mode.  You can hear the click as the bike activates and at the same time, see the icon for the heaters light up on the display. If I park it or put the kickstand down they go off.

Aaron

wadejesu

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2023, 01:18:41 AM »

Ditto

Demoni

• Global Moderator
  • Energica Service Manager
    • View Profile
    • Energica
« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2023, 10:37:33 AM »

Well, They seemed to work at first but now they reach a high temp of 65F degrees.
I did notice one thing tho, I had my bike charging for an hour and noticed they were heating while the kickstand was down. Yes the manual/physical grip was on but I thought the bike had to be in "go" mode to make them heat? Anyone else have their grips run when charging?
Joe.

I confirm the grips should only be active when the throttle is enabled. When the bike is on but not charging do they still warm up? You might want to double check the wires going into the relay are in the correct locations. Also make sure the harness is plugged into the correct 4 pin connector (labeled J-109a).

When the grips are turned on there should be a icon in the top left of the dash. There are 3 dots below the grip icon indicating what power level is selected, how many of them are solid white?

joesedroid

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2023, 07:16:46 PM »

Thank you for all the input. I will need to check this again. I verified everything (installed them myself) Im pretty good at working on bikes and some electronics but I sure could have missed something. Yes, there is an icon on the top left only when the switch is on. I have it set for the highest due to them never getting real warm. Ive been emailing Energica and they are saying they should be 30ish degrees F warmer than im seeing. So either they are defective or I am.  :)
Joe

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2023, 08:13:22 PM »

jose, you could take a resistance reading across the plug for the grips see what it is reading.  They draw 30 watts?  at 12 volts nominal  that should be 4 or 5 ohms if I did my math right.  also check that the plugs are tight, sometimes when plugging them in one can push one of the pins out the backside and not see it and it does not make contact properly or instead of going into the slot it bends over and goes along the side type thing.  (assuming plugs here)

At low heat it can take a few minutes for you to start feeling it,  at high heat they can be almost too hot to touch bare handed, at least mine are.  Make sure everything is tight, and there is power to them and try again.  65F is not even on it's just room temp unless you are at 20 below zero now :D

aaron

joesedroid

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 24, 2023, 10:23:22 PM »

Ok... update spent 45ish minutes pulling it apart and verifying everything. All correctly wired as per the instructions, still see 65F in a 45F environment. However, this tiny black box that came with the grips that I wired is to hot to hold after running the grips for 20 mins. Hmmm
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4