• May 06, 2024, 07:20:41 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Leaving bike charging during winter - how many amps?  (Read 409 times)

MrMogensen

• View Profile
Leaving bike charging during winter - how many amps?
« on: July 10, 2023, 04:07:45 AM »

Finally finished building a 14 m2 orangery in the garden - only few details remain.
Have prepared for a domestic outlet and a few switches for light. Electric cable will be connected between orangery and garage through buried tube.

Wife mentioned that it could be an option to let the motorcycle spend the winter in the a corner of the orangery instead of the garage. If it's suddenly an EV bike then it needs to be plugged in during winter. I know that an Energica AC charges with only 3kW.

Question: How many amps does an Energica at least need for simple wintercharging?

All domestic plugs in my house are only on 10A fuses. Taking power via garage also means sharing domestic power with a few rooms in the house (fridge being one of them). I'd really hate coming home to the fridge being off for hours...
Since it's only 10A fuses I was planning on connecting the orangery to my house via 3G1,5 installation cable (good for up to 13A fuses).
I already have a 11kW/16A home charger (Type 2) for the car so the wintercharging option would only be used in the orangery..

Bonus question: Is that regular 3kW AC charging from 1-phase/16A or maybe 3-phase/5-6A?
MrMogensen / Currently Yamaha FZ6 (since 2008)
I want a Ribelle. Decided to postpone it because we are soon moving to a more expensive house near my work. Bike will then no longer be for commuting but for fun and an add-on to only being a 1 car household.

Specter

• View Profile
Re: Leaving bike charging during winter - how many amps?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2023, 04:25:51 AM »

Lithium batteries DO NOT TRICKLE CHARGE, you will RUIN THEM.
The Energica, if you leave it plugged in, it will look at itself and 'top off' every few hours if it thinks it needs it.  10 amps is more than plenty, if it's just a balancing or topping charge it would only take a few amps at most.  You can also set the max amps it can use, so tell it,stay at 5 or 6 amps and you'll never have to worry about it.

Aaron

EDIT:  The 3.6 kw charger is single phase.  Depending on your plug, you can plug it into 120 or 240 VAC.  It will limit itself to 15 amps on either one.

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2023, 07:38:10 AM »

This 10 amp at 240vac, yes? You're fine. Make sure to use the bike's built-in LPR (Long Period Rest) mode and it'll take care of itself.

MrMogensen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2023, 02:14:12 PM »

Thanks both of you :)

I'll go on with the rest of our project!

Yes - the regular outlets is 10A 240VAC (or in reality 230VAC).

There is a possibility that wife might pull back on her offer cause it's looking nicer than we thought it would  ;D
Anyway the 10A still goes for the garage.

Picture from today (raining so took it from the main house).
Another picture from 2 months back.
I want a Ribelle. Decided to postpone it because we are soon moving to a more expensive house near my work. Bike will then no longer be for commuting but for fun and an add-on to only being a 1 car household.

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2023, 06:24:48 PM »

Even at 115 vac, 10 amps is fine.  For normal charging, just takes twice as long.  For maintenance charging, piece of cake!

Put the bike in long term rest mode as Morgan said but don't just ignore it, go check it once a week at least make sure things are still good, a nest of rats has not decided to multiply under your seat etc etc type thing.  It WILL make a bit of heat, even when Idle, critters like heat and may try to move in.  NOT GOOD, especially since vermin chew on wires.

Aaron

MrMogensen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2023, 06:27:24 PM »

Even at 115 vac, 10 amps is fine.  For normal charging, just takes twice as long.  For maintenance charging, piece of cake!

Put the bike in long term rest mode as Morgan said but don't just ignore it, go check it once a week at least make sure things are still good, a nest of rats has not decided to multiply under your seat etc etc type thing.  It WILL make a bit of heat, even when Idle, critters like heat and may try to move in.  NOT GOOD, especially since vermin chew on wires.

Aaron

In this case the orangery is a way better opton than the garage. It will take those lil' bastards more than a few days to dig themselves in.
During day, with a bit of sun, it should also be a bit warmer than garage.
Pages: [1]