• May 05, 2024, 12:53:35 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Brief First impression of SR/F after ride  (Read 654 times)

SRich

• View Profile
Brief First impression of SR/F after ride
« on: May 14, 2019, 11:34:21 AM »

Yesterday I traveled to my local dealer for a test ride of the 2019 SR/F. I decided to ride my 2013 Honda VFR1200F down to the dealer for a comparison since it is a relatively quick bike compared to my 14.4 Zero S. I love my Zero, it is my daily commuter, but when I feel the need for speed, I hop on the VFR which can move along quite nicely with 170HP on tap.

My first thought after looking at the SR/F before even getting on it, was it is a totaly different level of refinement compared to other Zero's. From pictures I had seen before hand, I wasn't quite sure I liked the look of the steel frame, but once I saw it in person, I really liked the aesthetics. The new motor and battery case in particular are beautiful and the whole bike just comes across as a real work of art.  I really like the full color display with its modern readout.  I also quite liked the look of bike from the front with the led lights.

I'm not going to say much more about features, other than I appreciate the substantial upgrades compared to the previous Zero bikes. I want to focus more on what it was like to ride the SR/F. Once I got on the bike, I became aware of the higher foot peg height relative to the seat height.  I am 6' tall and the space initially felt a little cramped compared to what I was used to, but not uncomfortably so. The seating position feels more sporty than my S, with a little longer stretch to the handlebars and I liked that. After being on the bike for a minute or two I felt completely settled in and comfortable for the duration of the test ride. The seat was very comfortable,  a definite improvement over my S. The battery charge was 100%. I started out in eco mode just to get used to the bike.  In this mode, the SR/F felt at least as fast as my S in sport mode if not slightly faster.  I soon switched to street mode, the acceleration felt on par with previous SR's I have riden in sport mode.  From there I went to sport mode, which was "ludicrously" fast. The torque of the new motor is simply amazing!  Wether from a stand still or at any speed, a twist of the throttle could result in what felt like face warping acceleration. I should note the throttle never had an on/off feel, even in sport mode there was good degree of variation. At one point I was crusing at about 40mph when i gunned the throttle. Immediately the back wheel broke loose, but before it could slide out more than a few inches,  the traction control kicked in and the rear tire hooked with the bike launching forward with almost surreal acceleration. All of this happened before I could ease off the throttle. By the time time I looked down at the display to see how fast I was going , I was doing 90mph.  The traction control seemed to be very effective without negatively interrupting forward thrust. It felt very similar to the seemless traction control on my VFR.  At that point I had the opportunity to put the brakes to the test given I was on city roads. Brake feel and modulation was excellent.  Regarding handling, I didn't have  opportunity to ride anywhere twisty, but the SR/F felt very nimble. I would say more so than my S. It just didn't feel like a heavier bike to me, probably due to the lower center of gravity.   I can sum up my test ride by saying I was thoroughly impressed with the SR/F. It was a much higher level of quality and refinement than the other Zero bikes and I felt worth every penny of the price they are asking for it.  I hope to be able to have one in my garage sometime in the near future.   The only drawback I could find is it made my VFR feel slow  :)  Special thanks to Monarch Power Sports for the test ride.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 08:21:01 PM by SRich »

David S

• View Profile
Re: Brief First impression of SR/F after ride
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2019, 04:45:18 PM »

Thanks for the review, ive been waiting to hear these kinds of reports. Crazy the back tire can still slip out at 40mph, that only ever happens from full launches from 0 on my SR.

GaryArt1

• Ride with Pride
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2019, 06:39:06 PM »

Great real world review.  I had preordered the SR/F on faith and loving the test ride of the SR.  Each of these reviews helps confirm my choice.  From what I seen and heard, there are very few who have walked away from a SR/F test ride disappointed.  My hope is now that I will like the way it rides as much if not more than the SR (which seems a given).  And the reliability of the SR/F will be as good if not better than previous models which only time will tell. 
Currently own: 
2020 Blue Zero SR/F Premium
2005 Suzuki Boulevard C50T

David S

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2019, 08:41:42 PM »

Did the regen breaking feel significantly stronger than the SR?

SRich

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2019, 09:04:21 AM »

That's a great question.  It was a little  stronger than my S, but I don't remember there being any difference in the regen feeling between modes on the SR/F.  There may have been, and I just didn't notice the difference.  From what I remember from the menu you can dial in regen like you do in custom mode on my S, but I am guessing that may apply to all modes on the SR/F. I'm really not sure.

madcow

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2019, 04:21:13 PM »

Did the regen breaking feel significantly stronger than the SR?

To me it certainly did. It also eased in a little instead of the instant kick in on previous models.
Pages: [1]