• May 05, 2024, 02:36:49 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: SRF/ S drive belts.  (Read 798 times)

RZ

• View Profile
SRF/ S drive belts.
« on: December 21, 2023, 05:46:29 PM »

Im wondering how many SRF/ SRS owners have had problems with drive belts, especially belts breaking? 

princec

• View Profile
Re: SRF/ S drive belts.
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2023, 08:44:44 PM »

Well, yes ;) 2x in 15000 miles. Both times belts were otherwise almost pristine, and snapped without warning on smooth roads under light or no load.

Cas :)

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2023, 10:46:46 PM »

Cas, did you contact Gates about them? That sounds like they were faulty and I imagine they'd be interested in inspecting them.

princec

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2023, 11:01:12 PM »

No, more trouble than it's worth tbh. The second belt that snapped didn't look faulty at all. They could just as easily claim it was overtight or a stone got in or whatever. Doesn't really matter; they should never snap, end of. They're just not wide enough and not well enough protected.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2023, 11:08:13 PM »

No, more trouble than it's worth tbh. The second belt that snapped didn't look faulty at all. They could just as easily claim it was overtight or a stone got in or whatever. Doesn't really matter; they should never snap, end of. They're just not wide enough and not well enough protected.

I think I heard something in this forum about the SR/F & S having a bad batch of belts. If that's the case, the new one should last a lot longer.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

princec

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2023, 12:29:18 AM »

Well, the first new belt I got was from NYA in 2021, can't see how it could have been from the same batch as the one fitted to my 2020. For the first time Davant actually let me down on this front ... the belt currently fitted that they claimed was "brand new" was dirty, is cracked, and slightly worn inside - clearly a 2nd hand belt. I have no idea what they were thinking when they sold me a 2nd hand belt for £220 and tried to pass it off as new. When I complained they suggested I send it back for a refund at which point I did the equivalent of a mic drop. I'll buy another brand new belt from elsewhere and keep theirs as a spare. But I'm not letting them touch it again.

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2023, 01:18:29 AM »

But couldn't the belt bought in 2021 be from the same batch as the one that came on your bike? I don't believe the belts are inadequate for the bike, people have put them under much greater stress than you just riding calmly without them snapping. Chances are you even put the belt under more load than the situation in which it snapped and it was fine. If they weren't up to the task then they'd be failing every time under peak load and no one would ever be able to go full throttle on their SR/F/S's.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2023, 01:48:46 AM »

But couldn't the belt bought in 2021 be from the same batch as the one that came on your bike? I don't believe the belts are inadequate for the bike, people have put them under much greater stress than you just riding calmly without them snapping. Chances are you even put the belt under more load than the situation in which it snapped and it was fine. If they weren't up to the task then they'd be failing every time under peak load and no one would ever be able to go full throttle on their SR/F/S's.
Read the 4th message here from SwampNut.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

princec

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2023, 05:35:50 PM »

If there was indeed a faulty batch I'd be expecting it replaced FOC. However, at this stage, it's all anecdotal, and my second belt was manufactured 2 years later than the original belt. And the third belt exhibits that cracking all around the outside of it that I'm pretty sure it shouldn't.

2020_SRS_Commuter

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2023, 09:04:25 AM »

I have a 2020 SRS bought new. It currently has 48k miles on it, and it's on the second belt. The first I replaced at 27k miles.

I accelerate hard often, frequently at full power, and usually carry about 50 lbs of luggage, and I weigh 200 lbs. I check the tension every month or so and keep it in the 60-70hz range.

When the first belt was near its end, it often made a rubbing noise for a little when a ride first started. Now at 48k the second belt is also doing it. I suspect this is caused by small cracks that form in the valleys between the belt notches as they age.

electrictwowheeler

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2024, 12:45:30 PM »

I have a 2020 SR/S with 38,000 miles. The original belt got a hole punched in the middle by a small rock after riding about 10 miles on a muddy gravel logging road. I kept going to avoid backtracking 30 miles. The road turned back to pavement and I thought I had gotten away with it but on inspection later I saw the damage. It didn't break. That was at 4,000 miles. Then at about 25,000 miles I rode on fresh Chip Seal and rocks were flying furiously so turned around but the belt snapped before I got back to clean pavement. I had the old damaged belt as a get home spare and just rolled that on without loosening the rear axle nut and rode home. You only need to remove the inner fender and disconnect the inline connector to the rear tail light and remove a couple of wire ties. The third belt is still on there. My feeling is that the belts are strong enough but easily damaged by road hazards. The belt will not stretch so it snaps if anything hard gets under it. Avoid gravel !!
2020 SR/S Premium
2007 Vectrix Lithium Conversion

SkyYeti

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2024, 03:05:03 AM »

I've had two SR/F's - on the first one I had the belt snap on the motorway - about 4000 miles on the clock - I whacked open the throttle and *ping* off it popped.
It was my fault, the belt had been squealing and making funny noises for a few weeks. I should have tightened it but it was the first belt-drive bike I'd ever owned and just wasn't aware it was a warning sign. I'd assumed it was damp/dusty or something.
Pretty poor by me to be honest.
After that I've been very careful, check the tension once a month and the 2nd belt (8000 miles when I handed it back) was fine.
My latest SR/F, 5500 miles on it currently - checking tension once a month - no issues or anything so far.
Not massive mileage I know, but i do ride through UK winter, so it's cold, wet, damp, and salty, for a good few months every year which i'm sure doesn't help the life of a belt.
2022 Zero SR/F Premium

RZ

• View Profile
SRF/ S drive belts.
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2024, 08:51:22 PM »

Thanks to all those who have added their comments. With the exception of Princec there has been less negative feedback than I had anticipated.

With the reported improvements in battery tech and weatherproofing and the prices of ex demonstrator/ pre reg bikes here in the UK I'm closer
than ever to purchasing an SRS. 

I think buying an electric motorcycle is a bit of a leap of faith so I have only one remaining serious concern, especially since several UK dealers appear
to have dropped out of the Zero network: will Zero remain in the UK market?

regards
R
Pages: [1]