• May 05, 2024, 06:12:38 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Going from a Zero SR to an SS9+  (Read 1865 times)

heroto

• View Profile
Re: Going from a Zero SR to an SS9+
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2021, 08:33:12 AM »

Just 2c worth here.

Who buys electrics? Riders with means, and commuters. Commuters value storage. Zero 1, Energica 0.8 (passing score), HD 0 (fail, but still love my LW for what it is, not what it is not).

Owned an S and later an SR/F, later modified the SR/F with the risers and lower pegs.

Later still acquired an SS9+. The step up in ridability, range and comfort, and quality was significant for me. Now I never think twice about a 100 mile ride. Another big plus for Energica is better suspension for rough rural roads. If your roads are smooth this may not matter.
The charging differences might be an issue. Zero has no L3 DFC charging but OTOH Zero has faster level 2 charging - YMMV, depends on where you ride and your goals. Slow L2 charging is an issue for Energica in my environs in the southern Appalachians.

Again just IMO, both the HD and Energica are better than the Zero in terms of build quality, brakes, and feel (subjective sorry), with the big exception of Zero's superior luggage options, especially compared to HD's nil options, HD got that wrong.
(So why do I have a LW? I do like this one trick HD pony. It's a blast to ride and of course aesthetics are in the eye of the beholder, I like the look.)

« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 08:48:57 AM by heroto »

princec

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2021, 02:54:34 PM »

I agree 100% about the Zero's ride quality (brakes seem fine though). I am now thinking about ways to make it handle properly. Seems to me that 2 grand on suspension isn't a big ask on a 20k bike but then I'd be wondering why I didn't go for the Energica in the first place (ah yes... weight)

Cas :)

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2021, 07:50:56 PM »

I agree 100% about the Zero's ride quality (brakes seem fine though). I am now thinking about ways to make it handle properly. Seems to me that 2 grand on suspension isn't a big ask on a 20k bike but then I'd be wondering why I didn't go for the Energica in the first place (ah yes... weight)

I believe that Zero's suspension components are relatively premium items. If not the top of Showa's line, pretty close to it. So it just may be the tuning of the shocks that were specified by Zero while being tested on the roads in the Santa Cruz Mountains that surround the factory. Plus, they have to be designed to support the maximum weight of the bike when fully loaded. Perhaps the springing and dampening can be altered by a suspension shop at much less of a cost than buying pricey premium components like Ohlins shocks.   ???
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

princec

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2021, 08:12:37 PM »

Just said in another thread but a good value solution might be to take the whole bike to Maxton and have them sort it out thoroughly. Zero's stuff looks ok but it's definitely not as nice as Maxton's stuff, and I suspect by the time I've had the forks apart and the shock rebuilt the actual cost of Maxton parts won't really be much bigger than if I just had the springs replaced in the OEM units.

Besides... shiny purple :)

Pages: 1 [2]