• May 06, 2024, 08:13:48 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Handlebar switch works great! (Tech updates)  (Read 2865 times)

trikester

• View Profile
Re: Handlebar switch works great! (Tech updates)
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2012, 09:59:14 PM »

I've been riding some since I added the new feature. It works very well - lever pushed forward with index finger = 15% regen braking, lever pulled back with index finger = 25% regen braking (& brake light), lever released = switch returns to off position.

I haven't ha an opportunity do do much dirt riding since the change but I can tell it's going to be great to have the regen choice at my finger tip.

Trikester

lolachampcar

• View Profile
    • LolaChampcar
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2012, 03:41:01 AM »

Boy, wouldn't be nice if someone out there made a nice kit that "Y'd" into the stock harness and gave at least the brake light/big regen function (maybe on the high beam switch)......
Life is too short not to enjoy what you do each day.

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2012, 08:56:07 AM »

Here is a photo of the change I made in the switch extension handle. It's longer now to make it easier for me to use my index finger to actuate it and the curved indent makes it easier for me to keep my finger on it while decelerating.

It is working out very well for me especially riding dirt. Pushing forward with my finger tip gives me 15% regen braking and pulling back gives me 25% regen and the brake light. Letting go returns me to SPORT mode. I have SPORT mode programmed for 0% regen so I can coast shallower slopes.

Trikester

dahlheim

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2012, 11:11:13 AM »

I have SPORT mode programmed for 0% regen so I can coast shallower slopes.

Trikester

how'd you accomplish that?
currently, 12 Zero DS ZF9, 07CRF450X, 03GL1800, 02R1150GS, 01XR650R, 00XR400R, 76GL1000

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2012, 11:55:24 AM »

how'd you accomplish that?

Harlan re-programmed it for me. The bike comes with some lesser levels of regen in SPORT mode. They were listed quite some time ago on this forum, but going by memory (caution here, I'm an old guy) I think it was 10% without the brake light and 15% with brake light. It was bugging me because I had to hold some throttle on just to go downhill on slopes I should have been able to coast.

I guess on the 2013's riders will be able to do all that programming stuff, on the fly, with a smart phone (except I don't own one).

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2012, 07:24:57 PM »

I would actually prefer a little more regen in sport mode as you that same sensation on corner entry as a botched change or false neutral on a gas bike.  I like to feel the bike decelerate with a shut throttle so being able to program it with a phone would be great. Shame I have a 2012!

dahlheim

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2012, 09:16:47 PM »

I would actually prefer a little more regen in sport mode as you that same sensation on corner entry as a botched change or false neutral on a gas bike.  I like to feel the bike decelerate with a shut throttle so being able to program it with a phone would be great. Shame I have a 2012!

i am quite sure i could create a cell phone interface like this, if only i knew where to find the connection specifications and communications protocol for the board involved.  unfortunately, i don't know where else to look for reliable info other than this forum.  i've been avoiding contacting zero, assuming they would not be interested in providing me info to "hack" their bike, but maybe i'll try that next...
currently, 12 Zero DS ZF9, 07CRF450X, 03GL1800, 02R1150GS, 01XR650R, 00XR400R, 76GL1000

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2012, 11:21:39 PM »

Here's a thought for non-smartphone users like me who may get a 2013. I have read that the old, outmoded, horse and buggy, smart phones (meaning last year's or really ancient two year old) phones can be bought for very little now. One counld buy the cheap one and just not sign up for cell service. The wi fi connection should still work to connect you to the bike just like a lap top computer. The problem, however, might be downloading the ZERO app to begin with, since the phone wouldn't have an ISP account either.

If there is a way to load the app into the device, without a carrier contract, then cheap old smart phones could serve as a digital dashboard on a 2013 bike, with no monthly cost. Being older and an outmoded model should also not tempt thieves as much.

Since this is a departure from the thread I started, I'm also going to copy this posting into a new thread so as to get more thoughts on this subject.

Trikester

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2012, 11:25:49 PM »

Yes. You can easily connect an old phone without service to wifi and download the app that way. Note that you can probably use app-capable non-phone devices like a Samsung Galaxy Player or iPod Touch .. or even integrate a small tablet in some way.

Take a look at swappa.com for a gently used android device marketplace.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2012, 12:14:41 AM »

Yes. You can easily connect an old phone without service to wifi and download the app that way. Note that you can probably use app-capable non-phone devices like a Samsung Galaxy Player or iPod Touch .. or even integrate a small tablet in some way.

Thanks for the quick answer. I could see making some sort of "built in" instrument panel for the device where it would be more difficult to steal and it would always stay with the bike, as opposed to a phone that's in general use.

It will be interesting to see more responses and ideas on the new thread I started on this subject.

Trikester

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2012, 12:21:20 AM »

Please post additional comments about the smart phone "dashboard" use to the new thread dedicated to this subject.

Thanks, Trikester
Pages: 1 [2]