• May 19, 2024, 12:34:24 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Zero/Energica EU  (Read 1594 times)

centra12

• View Profile
Zero/Energica EU
« on: May 17, 2020, 02:29:52 AM »

Does Zero still have a chance against Enertica with their >20kW battery and CCS?
The annual production of 2020 is completely sold out at Energica!

Zero has never made it

TheRan

• View Profile
Re: Zero/Energica EU
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2020, 02:46:38 AM »

It doesn't really matter who has the best bike when most people aren't buying the best bike.

Hans2183

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2020, 04:16:27 AM »

There are reasons enough to go for Zero instead of Energica. Picking a bike isn't only based on battery capacity and charging speed.

Just a few (not all important to me but some are)

- dealers around (in BE only 1 dealer for Energica that redirects to NL dealership)
- chain vs belt final drive
- no gearbox
- lower weight
- 2 times faster on board charger (3kW vs 6kW for premium zero models)
- looks (personal obviously)
- maintenance costs
- price

+ everything else I just forgot
2021 Energica SS9+ 21.5kWh
--- Belgium ---

valnar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2020, 04:46:50 AM »

Well for one, even if there was an Energica dealer near me, I don't want a bike that weighs almost 600 pounds.  I'm sure Zero could build a 600# bike with a similar battery, if they wanted.
Zero FXS 2020

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2020, 04:53:15 AM »

Yeah, Energica is basically the super-bike while Zero is the reasonable choice ^-^

There's also the rating of the wattage of the motor, which affects licensing and sometimes insurance.
And the rating of the voltage of the system, which affects the legality of who can work on the bike.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

GaryArt1

• Ride with Pride
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2020, 05:36:41 AM »

I never understood the need for someone to come on a Zero forum and bash the bikes comparing it to the brand they prefer.  Look down a couple of makes on the board and you will find Energica's forum.  People on that forum would probably agree with you which is the better bike.  In the meantime, most of us considered the two brands when we were ready to by and went with Zero for a reason(s). 
Currently own: 
2020 Blue Zero SR/F Premium
2005 Suzuki Boulevard C50T

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2020, 06:04:50 AM »

Not going to find an Energica for a reasonable used price, for instance.  Or have as low maintenance costs.  Or be as light and easy to kick around, more newbie friendly.

All electrics with mode select and customization are good for newbies, but a bike that's straight up lighter/less maintenance is going to be the right choice.

Simplified and optimized is what Zero is going for.  The most is what Energica is going for.  Completely different markets.

Take Don for instance:  He rides his Energica over the mountains and when it's the only thing he takes, it takes it.  But when he takes his RV, the Zero is his choice because it takes up less space and is lighter to carry, and has nobbier tires for out in rural camps.  And does his errands on the faster Zero, since in-town it does better for him.  Each does their thing, and even Energica fans may want something the Energica can't offer.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2020, 07:53:26 AM »

Well for one, even if there was an Energica dealer near me, I don't want a bike that weighs almost 600 pounds.
Why is the weight an issue? The Energicags have a reverse as well as a very slow forward. That usually makes the weight less of an non-issue than on lighter bikes.

And even if I dump the Energica, it has to be easier than picking up my Zero, which I discovered was impossible without help.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2020, 08:38:40 AM »

Don, weight matters in far more things than walking the bike.

We've had this conversation.

-Crissa.
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2020, 12:15:34 PM »

Don, weight matters in far more things than walking the bike.

We've had this conversation.

-Crissa.
I just don't see the big deal with the weight otherwise. Even my 1,000 LB Harley does fine in the city. No doubt you have seen such many times yourself. But I certainly wished my Harley  had a reverse, and quite a few times.

I don't ever recall wishing my Energica was lighter. It's just not an issue.

-Don-
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 01:35:41 PM by DonTom »
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

centra12

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2020, 01:17:34 PM »

I have ridden both of them and the only advantage of the Zero is that it is  faster from 0-100km/h and  quieter. But at a starting speed of over 50km/h the Energica is always faster.
Otherwise, there's not much left of the Zero.

- Timing belt that likes to travel and is not cheap
- Good dealer network but what good is that if they have to wait forever for parts. Do they sleep at Zero in the Netherlands?
- Worse manufactured than the Energica
- Only 11KW charging power
- No CCS that is being massively expanded in Europe and favoured by the car industry
- Charging cable must always be carried along
- Poor centre of gravity with 11kW loader
- Same price for less future

Not for nothing else are the 2000 units for 2020 already sold out at Energica

« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 01:19:29 PM by centra12 »

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2020, 04:26:17 PM »

I don't ever recall wishing my Energica was lighter. It's just not an issue.
Says the guy with how many decades of practice on how many bikes and is how much larger than most of us?  C'mon.  You live bikes, of course you don't feel the weight.  Moving with a bike is second-nature to you.

The rest of us are mere mortals.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

princec

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2020, 06:08:17 PM »

I live bikes, and I spent 15 years on fully loaded BMW GSes... and the Energica is still way too heavy for me. I'm not exactly built like a brick privy but I'm not exactly small either. Weight is an issue for most riders. And there's the old maxim that power makes you fast on the straights, but lightness makes you fast everywhere.

Cas :)

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2020, 08:48:53 PM »

Weight is a big issue for me, too. But mostly because of my age and light weight, and the fact that I need to push my bikes backwards uphill into my garage.  Right now my 552 pound BMW boxer is right at my limit for pushing.  However, once I start riding it the weight seems to melt away. The heaviest bike that I have ever owned was my 1991 BMW K100RS, which came in around 620 pounds, or about what an Energica weighs.  Back then, pushing it around was no problem for me, but that wouldn't be the case now.

As a motorcycle, I give the Energica high marks. I think it is better designed and has better chassis components than Zeros. But the weight is a factor for me, along with its greater maintenance needs. Since I use my Zero for general low-cost transportation within a 50-mile radius, it is the better bike for me. If I rode more for fun, at high speeds, on rides where the bike could be recharged at an L3 station - and was younger, I likely would have bought an Energica instead of my latest Zero.  However, I will admit that I only live about 60 miles from the factory and my dealer is just a 20-minute ride away and has over 10 years of selling and servicing Zeros, so that is a big plus for me, too.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

GaryArt1

• Ride with Pride
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2020, 10:45:10 PM »

The one thing I wished the Zeros had was a reverse function.  It really should be a easy issue on electric bikes.  I would think it is more of a software programming thing.  Have a switch to run engine in reverse and have a programmed safety limiter so you can only go a couple mph.  But I am not an engineer so maybe it is harder. I deal backing up without it but it would be nice.  Anytime I find myself complaining about backing it up into my garage I just look at my 650# ICE bike and I don't feel that the Zero is that bad.
Currently own: 
2020 Blue Zero SR/F Premium
2005 Suzuki Boulevard C50T
Pages: [1] 2 3 4