• May 06, 2024, 07:08:52 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13

Author Topic: The SR/S 2.24.2020  (Read 7109 times)

Richard230

• View Profile
Re: The SR/S 2.24.2020
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2020, 04:47:36 AM »

My money is on the "S" model having a quarter-fairing.  I think Zero is too cheap to develop a full half-fairing, much less something more enveloping.

I always suspected that the "F" was just designating the naked version of the bike with a fancier model to come later - once the demand for the F model had been satisfied. It is just a marketing thing.   ;)

It is also interesting that Zero didn't introduce the new model at a big motorcycle show, instead of likely via the internet.  But like I said, the company tends to pinch pennies and the internet is a lot cheaper than renting floor space at a big show.    :-\
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

wavelet

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2020, 06:06:29 AM »

My money is on the "S" model having a quarter-fairing.  I think Zero is too cheap to develop a full half-fairing, much less something more enveloping.

I always suspected that the "F" was just designating the naked version of the bike with a fancier model to come later - once the demand for the F model had been satisfied. It is just a marketing thing.   ;)

It is also interesting that Zero didn't introduce the new model at a big motorcycle show, instead of likely via the internet.  But like I said, the company tends to pinch pennies and the internet is a lot cheaper than renting floor space at a big show.    :-\
I also expect the SR/S to have a half- or quarter-fairing, what you'd want for better weather protection and/or sport-touring. Hopefully it'll also provide 20% more highway range.
I seriously doubt we'll be seeing any completely new platform from Zero in the next 2-3 years (as in, >200V) -- I really don't think they have the resources to develop one.

For a low-volume manufacturer, where it's difficult to amortize platform development, using the same platform to develop more variants makes a lot more sense, just like Zero made the DSR out of the DS.
Ducati survived for many years basically doing exactly this, where every engine type/displacement was used in 3-4 models at least.

As to what the later development this year could be, I could see Zero offering optional battery modules for longer range. The SR/F's GVWR means the frame can take it.
Terry Hershner started a thread on it a few years back, here, which makes for interesting re-reading.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 06:19:55 AM by wavelet »

Causemoi

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2020, 08:23:16 AM »

So SR/S = Street-Racer-Slow? :P  ???

Maybe SR/First, SR/Second?

This is what I was going to say by you beat me to it, Shayan!

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2020, 09:20:22 AM »

Street-Racer-FrickinTimeTheyAddedCruiseControl
The SR/F doesn't have a cruise control? I assumed it did. My Energica has a cruise control that works very well, I use it often.

I guess Zero needs to add a reverse as well. They have some catching up to do on their top of the line bike.

BTW, this thread is the first time I heard about the SR/S.  Seems Zero isn't saying much about it.

-Don-  Auburn, CA
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 11:02:44 AM by DonTom »
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

jbtx

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2020, 10:13:53 AM »

Well since I just put my deposit down and ordered the SRF, now I’m wondering if I should wait a month and see what the options are  :o

shayan

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2020, 11:50:52 AM »

I expect it to be atleast a half fairing too and not a quarter fairing. I would not think Zero at this point would want to do anything that just enhances the aesthetics. So a quarter fairing would not be a good add-on in terms of value. A half fairing should however give a pretty good boost in range. If they can combine this with their traditional battery pack + power tank upgrade (totaling maybe 20kWh), close to 150 miles freeway range should be realistic.

BTW, this thread is the first time I heard about the SR/S.  Seems Zero isn't saying much about it.

-Don-  Auburn, CA

Like someone mentioned on this thread (and in another previous thread), there was one mention of this back in EICMA 2019 and of course there were those spy shots. Even for the SR/F Zero started off with a teaser. Pretty much how Tesla does it, all on social media and their website with hardly any other marketing.

So SR/S = Street-Racer-Slow? :P  ???

Maybe SR/First, SR/Second?

This is what I was going to say by you beat me to it, Shayan!
Haha, these are nothing but guesses. I'm not sure who knows exactly what the naming convention starting with SR/F is :)
-Shayan

2020 Zero SR/F standard + ChargeTank

daniels1216

• Zero Motorcycle SR/S premium
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2020, 12:04:40 PM »

The SR/F doesn't have a cruise control? I assumed it did. My Energica has a cruise control that works very well, I use it often.

I guess Zero needs to add a reverse as well. They have some catching up to do on their top of the line bike.

-Don-  Auburn, CA

the zero sr/f does have a nice cruise control  button.

My guess is the S behind the SR is used as a symbol for a twisty road the bike will be fun on. (not like the others aren't fun)
10 year daily motorcycle rider, lifelong B.M.X. rider, and lifelong academic advocating for smart transportation in California

vinceherman

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2020, 06:18:06 PM »

The SR/F doesn't have a cruise control? I assumed it did.
It does.
I (half jokingly) say that this feature is what tipped the scales and I finally decided to buy a Zero.

ben.m

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2020, 07:08:14 PM »

Zero spoke about the SR/F, they originally said the name was for StReet Fighter ;)

So i guess that new one must be a StReet Sucker... :/

Hansi

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2020, 10:05:55 PM »

Hopefully something with 1C or faster charging capabilities :)
Norway
Opel Ampera-e ordered 16.09.16, delivered 08.06.17    Tesla Model 3 reserved 01.04.16
2013 Nissan Leaf Tekna     2011 Mitsubishi i-MiEV

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2020, 12:53:32 AM »

NOT going to happen.  Not on the SR/F platform.  You're looking for a totally NEW architecture with a different battery and BMS at the very minimum.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2020, 01:22:59 AM »

NOT going to happen.  Not on the SR/F platform.  You're looking for a totally NEW architecture with a different battery and BMS at the very minimum.
I don't see any reason why Zero cannot have a totally redesigned bike with CCS charging and everything required.  I think they realize they will be left behind if they don't keep up with the technology available today. Yeah, it will be a major expense at first, but if they do it correctly, they will sell like hotcakes.

They can still sell their other cheaper bikes with the 116 volt  battery at the same time.

I expect there will be some major changes soon,  especially since Energica is now claiming to have the longest range electric motorcycle as well as the fastest charging on any  Electric motorcycle.  Perhaps the two most important things on an electric motorcycle.

-Don-  Auburn, CA

1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

KuRi

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2020, 01:31:02 AM »

It looks like a sport bike, does it?
ZERO DSR 2020 - TOURING SEAT - TREKKER 52

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2020, 01:37:41 AM »

1C CCS charging is possible via two means that Terry has discussed before (one requires pack re-engineering, but the other is a simplified switching power supply, since DC-DC stepdown is producable). Whether or what option is chosen to implement it depends a lot on engineering risks, priorities, and overall cost, I'm sure.

Whether we get CCS charging in excess of 1C probably depends more on Farasis' ability to consider Zero's protections on the battery so that the warranty can be retained. Basically, the safeguards in hardware and firmware have to be proven, which might already be implemented, but someone has to review it at a corporate level or such, because two different companies re-negotiating liability has to be fraught with money concerns.

Mind you, I've heard things from various people (or raised ideas in front of people and watched their noncomfirmatory reactions) and am piecing together a picture I think is plausible.

I for one would not mind just having a single switching power supply that grants me access to 1C charging reliably and without risk to my warranty. I've gotten there with DigiNow equipment, but the component complexity and risks were literally causing me problems, and a 1C rate on a modern machine with 18kWh onboard is really nice (I had 16kWh with my 2016 DSR+PT).

If the SRS fairing yields even a 15% improvement at highway speeds, it will be worth it even before CCS just by making the battery capacity 15% more effective on the road. I won't rehash this, but aerodynamics plus charging are the two curves to make inroads on, and a faired SRS is a big part of that. Basically, if I'm going to make a travel machine, a faired bike is what I'd start with to augment.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

shayan

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2020, 05:12:14 AM »

a 6kW chargetank and ~1C CCS charging would work great in a combo with an aerodynamic package. Even a 90-100 miles usable freeway range would be great with 1C charging. This would mean we only charge to ~80% and discharge to ~20% and get about 90-100 miles of freeway range. And that portion of the battery could possibly be charged in ~30 mins with 1C rates.
Would the DC-DC stepdown approach be configurable to any battery capacity 1C rates? Like ZF14.4, ZF13.0 and various combinations of PT's?
This would be a more scalable solution to retrofit existing battery pack as well.
-Shayan

2020 Zero SR/F standard + ChargeTank
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13