• May 04, 2024, 02:09:44 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Brake Pads Alternatives to OEM  (Read 5176 times)

Kocho

• View Profile
Re: Brake Pads Alternatives to OEM
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2016, 06:49:05 AM »

A quick follow-up. I just installed the EBC pads on the rear of my '15 SR and they are absolutely quiet! No squeaking, no grinding noises whatsoever. Did a short test run and they seem to stop well too ;) Will have to ride them a few hundred miles to see if anything changes - I expect the stopping power to increase some after they set to the disks.

I will buy the fronts too, of the same type. My front brake is not terrible, but it is not quiet either. Plus I don't like the feel of it - just like the OEM rear pads, it feels harsh and abrasive, vs. the extremely smooth and absolutely quiet engagement on the EBC pads.

I do expect this type of EBC pads to wear quicker than stock, but I'd go for quiet over noisy any day.

The rear brakes on my '15 SR are terribly noisy. I'm fairly certain it is the material of the pads that's the culprit. Looking at the EBC catalogue, it seems the rear pads for '15 SR are FA213 (organic), FA213V (semi sintered), and FA213HH (sintered):

http://ebcbrakes.com/Assets/ecatalogues/2016_USA_Motorcycle_Catalogue/USA_Motorcycle_Catalogue_2016.html#p=30

I decided to give the organic FA213 pads a try, because organic pads are supposed to be the quietest and most gentle on the rotors (don't last as long and don't "bite" as strong as sintered, but have better "feel" supposedly):

http://smile.amazon.com/EBC-Brakes-FA213-Disc-Brake/dp/B006BVHD4I/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1463278781&sr=8-2&keywords=ebc+brake+pads+fa213

Amazon says they do not fit the Zero, but I trust the EBC catalogue to be correct. Hope they fit and work better than stock. Will let you know how they turn out once I get them in a week or two and install them. For under $25 delivered, I think they are worth a try.

Feel free to reply with similar information, including parts numbers and sourcing, if you have other alternatives.

EDIT: photo attached of the retail package with the EBC FA213 pads that I received. I still have not installed them, so I can't confirm fit and performance yet. You can't tell from the attached photo, but they seem to have some copper-looking bits in them (that look silver-ish on the photo). No metal shims are included with these pads (and there are none on the bike either in the rear, only in the front).
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 09:57:44 AM by Kocho »
'15 Zero SR

Manzanita

• 2014 Zero S Woodland, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2016, 12:39:48 PM »

Maybe you've seen my previous posts on the issues I've had with organic pads on my Zero S, but if not, just to warn you: I replaced my front OEM pads for organic pads to overcome the abrupt bite of the OEM front brakes (ridiculous!) and it did give it a more gradual feel. But one morning on my commute down the hill they overheated under 'normal' riding and I ended up heading into a steep downhill hairpin with maybe 30% of the normal stopping power and almost crashed. Organic pads in front for a Zero S/SR in any sort of spirited riding is definitely pushing the limits, since it is a 400 pound bike with a single disc in front. Importantly, they didn't give me a gradual warning that they were about to give out. One moment they were fine, the next I had pushed them over the edge and they barely worked. I have since switched those out to the Renthal BP-102 pads, and they definitely seem to have a more gradual bite. Be careful! 

Kocho

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2016, 05:52:20 PM »

Thanks, I've seen that thread. I'll  need to test them I suppose. I do not expect to be in a situation like when you overheated, but who knows... What brand of pads did you use that gave you the fade?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 09:59:29 AM by Kocho »
'15 Zero SR

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2016, 10:06:49 PM »

I have struggled to figured out correct information over model years into some tables for brake pad replacement. In any case, please review and carefully update the following if you have a direct confirmation:

http://zeromanual.com/index.php/Unofficial_Service_Manual#Brakes
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Manzanita

• 2014 Zero S Woodland, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2016, 08:24:56 PM »

Thanks, I've seen that thread. I'll  need to test them I suppose. I do not expect to be in a situation like when you overheated, but who knows... What brand of pads did you use that gave you the fade?
I believe they were "Moose Racing" pads.

Kocho

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2016, 09:08:24 PM »

One would expect "racing" pads to be more resistant... But having only a single disk in the front on a heavy-ish bike probably stresses them too much. I'll have my EBC pads on hopefully later this week on the front too and will try some lively riding to see how they handle. We don't have large downhills where I live, and if it turns I'm overheating the brakes in "normal" riding, then I probably shouldn't be riding that way ;)

I'm very happy with the rear EBC pads so far - really smooth and totally quiet.

'15 Zero SR

avernon82

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2016, 11:18:04 PM »

I just installed replacement front brake pads for the '16 FX. FA181 pads from ebc fit the J Juan brakes on the FX.

I put the Kevlar pads on, no more squealing. Also reduced braking performance without as much bite. Not sure if I'm going to go back. Good $25 experiment though.

Kocho

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2016, 06:27:00 PM »

It's been some time since I installed the rear EBC organic pads. They still work well, almost totally quiet at the end of a stop where the OEM ones were squealing.

Yesterday I installed the front pads too. The installation process is the same as on the rear - remove one retaining clip from the end of the bolt, undo the 1 bolt, slip out the old pads, move the shims to the new pads, slip in the new pads in, put the bolt and clip back on and done. 10 minutes job.

The fronts, I'm not so sure what is going on - they make this weird noise when stopping, as if I hear each little hole on the disk as it passes under the pads, it's like "chrrrr" kind of noise. I only rode a few miles yesterday with a dozen stops or so, so I'll give them some more time before I decide if I will go back and put the OEM pads back in. It is not very loud and won't be heard with full face helmet at speed, but I don't think I've heard that sound from the OEM pads.

The EBC pads are quieter in the front too at the end of the stop, eliminating the loud squeal my OEM ones had, but I can still feel/hear the same type of lack of smoothness that bothered me with the OEM front brakes.

The EBC front pads actually seem to have more bite than the OEM. Not a huge difference, bit I actually expected less bite from organic pads, not more.

The back metal plate on the EBC pads is painted black, the OEM is unpainted and looks like it might have some copper in it. Which one will dissipate heat better or is sturdier? Who knows... The EBC pads have one slot in the middle, the OEM have 2 slots (creating 2 vs. 3 sections on each pad respectively). The EBC thus have slightly larger surface area in contact with the rotor than OEM, maybe that's why they have a bit more bite.

Additionally, I feel the front fork vibrate I think just as much if not more than with the OEM pads when braking. It might be normal for the Zero, since I've felt it on other demo bikes too. Not sure if it is a function of the rotor being drilled or just the nature of the fork design... It is not smooth as the rear brakes that are working on a solid swing arm - the front is just a long fork that is bound to bend and rebound in a fore-aft direction under braking forces, causing these vibrations.   

One would expect "racing" pads to be more resistant... But having only a single disk in the front on a heavy-ish bike probably stresses them too much. I'll have my EBC pads on hopefully later this week on the front too and will try some lively riding to see how they handle. We don't have large downhills where I live, and if it turns I'm overheating the brakes in "normal" riding, then I probably shouldn't be riding that way ;)

I'm very happy with the rear EBC pads so far - really smooth and totally quiet.

'15 Zero SR

clay.leihy

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2016, 08:13:20 AM »

My 15 FX had a howling noise just as I came to a stop, from the front. Anti squeal stuff on the pads was no help at all. Picked up a pair of EBC FA181X pads, carbon graphite, and all noise is gone. Also, I prefer the feel of these, smooth and no longer grabby.

Clay
DoD #2160,6
2015 FX ZF6.5  😁
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 08:55:35 AM by clay.leihy »
Clay
DoD #2160,6

clay.leihy

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2016, 08:14:46 AM »

(ignore this post done in error can't get rid of)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 08:23:16 AM by clay.leihy »
Clay
DoD #2160,6

avernon82

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2016, 11:21:57 PM »

yup, those are the ones I put on. Generally happy with them, I like the bite of the old pads though. Was willing to do almost anything to get rid of that horrible sound!

Fivespeed302

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2016, 06:31:59 PM »

I have struggled to figured out correct information over model years into some tables for brake pad replacement. In any case, please review and carefully update the following if you have a direct confirmation:

http://zeromanual.com/index.php/Unofficial_Service_Manual#Brakes

I don't know how I missed out on the unofficial manual, but it is now in my favorites.  Thanks!
2015 Zero SR
2009 Yamaha R1

pacificcricket

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2016, 09:35:56 PM »

Kocho

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2016, 11:23:16 PM »

How do they work for you? Quiet? Do they stop well? I'm not entirely happy with the front EBC pads (100% happy with the rears). The fronts make less squealing noises than the OEM pads, I think stop just as good if not better, but make some other quieter noises that I don't remember hearing before and that I don't particularly like. Maybe I'll swap my old pads back in to compare...
'15 Zero SR

pacificcricket

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2016, 11:30:41 PM »

Mine work pretty good. No excessive squealing noises, but sometimes it feels like they're grinding or something like that. Not sure what's that about.
Pages: 1 [2] 3