• May 04, 2024, 09:53:47 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Is 10% Federal Tax Credit Back?  (Read 6665 times)

LeftieBiker

• 42 Years of Motorcycling - 13 years with EVs
    • View Profile
Re: Is 10% Federal Tax Credit Back?
« Reply #75 on: March 04, 2016, 04:50:04 PM »

A demo qualifies as new if it hasn't been registered/titled by the dealer. You have to be the first one to title a vehicle for it to still be "new." I just bought one, and expect to qualify for the credit - on next year's return.
EV Ownership:

2001 Oxygen Lepton
2008 X-Treme XM-3000
2011 ZEV 5000LA
2015 Zero SR
Too many electric bicycles to list, mostly EZIP

acacia1731

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 04, 2016, 07:43:55 PM »

I bought a 2015 FX demo, and was able to claim the credit.  As mentioned by LeftieBiker, I believe the key is that you need to be the first registered owner, which should be the case for most demos purchased from a dealer.
2015 Zero FX (off-road setup), 2013 KTM 250SX, Kuberg Cross Hero, STACYC 16EDrive

pacificcricket

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 05, 2016, 01:13:06 AM »

What really would be helpful, is 2014 buyers on this board sending similar requests to their reps. Rattle up the House of Representatives.
And for even more bonus points, if Zero could contact 2014 owners suggesting that same action.

Got contacted by the legislative assistant to my congresswoman. Assistant left me a voicemail, claiming they tried to amend the bill to include 2014,
but they couldn't get it in. That's way too abstract and doesn't really answer the question. I followed up with them again via e-mail, this time
directly. But looks like I'm getting somewhere :D

pacificcricket

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 15, 2016, 07:31:24 AM »

Alright folks, I've got the answer from Congress :) Get ready for this...

the bill did not have a hearing and when these types of bills are brought to the floor the whole tax package is discussed, not usually why pieces of provisions are or are not in the bill. Therefore, there is not a congressional record of why thousands of tax provision are not in a tax package.

That's from the legislative assistant to the congresswoman Suzanne Bonamici. Basically they just screwed us without any particular reason,
and nobody in Congress questioned it, as they had some "bigger fish to fry." I've started some informal conversations with legal people
I know, will see if something can be made out of it.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 15, 2016, 08:08:11 PM »

The story that I heard on the internet was that a Republican in the House was trying to screw an Oregon Senator by deleting the electric motorcycle credit provision, which would affect Oregon-built (at the time) Brammo. The story came out as a news article sometime around November 2014, as I recall, just as the budget proposal for the upcoming year was being finalized. Fun and games in Congress.

Here is a quote from the 2014 article:

As the House prepared to vote on a bill to extend dozens of tax credits for 2014, one missing credit raised eyebrows.

The omitted break for electric motorcycles would have benefited manufacturers like Brammo Inc., a company based in Ashland, Ore., the home state of Senate Finance Chairman Ron Wyden, CQ Roll Call’s Alan Ota reported (subscription).

House Ways and Means Chairman Dave Camp, R-Mich., said the omission was accidental, the result of late scrambling to put together a new package. It was not, he said, a jab at Wyden for not backing an earlier deal that House Republicans tried to build with Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid of Nevada, Ota reported.

“It was an oversight. We can’t get the score and everything together,” Camp said. “You can’t just turn on a dime.”
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 08:21:38 PM by Richard230 »
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

pacificcricket

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 15, 2016, 11:04:49 PM »

That could be the case with the expired incentive, but my question was over the new renewed incentive that did not retroactively extend to 2014.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 16, 2016, 04:37:47 AM »

That could be the case with the expired incentive, but my question was over the new renewed incentive that did not retroactively extend to 2014.

Well, you could argue that the same game is still in play and now that Victory is selling electric motorcycles that are made in Wisconsin (I think), the electric motorcycle credit is now appropriate.   ::) The way politics are going lately, I can believe just about any type of backstabbing.  :(  I don't think Republicans like Oregon all that much.   ::)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]