• May 05, 2024, 02:07:35 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Dropped my Zero DS again... couple of questions  (Read 3191 times)

teddillard

« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 04:35:46 PM by teddillard »

pacificcricket

• View Profile
Re: Dropped my Zero DS again... couple of questions
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2015, 03:26:10 PM »

I'd save the money on crash bars and consider investing in a rider safety course, to be brutally honest.  ;)

Virtually every forum on the Internet has a person like you. I have 11 years and over 100 thousand miles of riding (commuting) experience. Last year I broke riding for 3 weeks total, when the streets froze up.  If you never fly, you will never be in an airplane crash.

teddillard

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2015, 05:10:36 AM »

ooooooOOOO!  Eleven whole years?  Maybe in the next eleven or so you'll learn how to not lock up the front wheel. 

(...how was I supposed to pass up that line?  Hell, I even re-activated my account just to do it.)

I was actually trying to be helpful, but since you're being a dick, let me just say I've been riding for over 45 years, and other than dirt riding, I've never.  NEVER.  dumped a bike from locking up the front wheel. 

Good luck on your flying and crashing.  For me, riding was a lot more fun once I learned how to do it, y'know, back in 1970.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 05:12:41 AM by teddillard »

pacificcricket

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2015, 06:43:14 AM »

ooooooOOOO!  Eleven whole years?  Maybe in the next eleven or so you'll learn how to not lock up the front wheel. 

(...how was I supposed to pass up that line?  Hell, I even re-activated my account just to do it.)

I was actually trying to be helpful, but since you're being a dick, let me just say I've been riding for over 45 years, and other than dirt riding, I've never.  NEVER.  dumped a bike from locking up the front wheel. 

Good luck on your flying and crashing.  For me, riding was a lot more fun once I learned how to do it, y'know, back in 1970.

You were not helpful, and your communication style doesn't fit your age. Please don't ever reply to my posts.

teddillard

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2015, 04:57:45 PM »

Yeah, well, you don't get to make that call.  You can, however, block me if you don't want to read what I have to say. You may not be aware of that since you've only been on the group for what, a few days? 

Since John hasn't gotten around to deleting my account yet, (pretty much fed up with conversations like this one, and just don't have the time or patience for it), I'll add some advice that maybe some other riders might appreciate.  To wit:

Dual sport tires are pretty far from anything you should use for general-purpose street riding, especially in the wet (which, frankly, I can't believe even needs stating).  The snow and ice?  Not much works, short of studs, which work amazing on ice and snow, but not so much on dry road.  Good street tires are by far the best choice, (I'm not sure if you can get those fancay newfangled hydrophilic tires for bikes, but for a daily commuter they'd be the balls) for any conditions where you simply have to ride, no matter what.  You may think you're an expert on snow and ice over there in the Pacific Northwest, but I'm under the impression that we get a shit-ton more of that weather here in Boston than you do.

Regardless of whatever tires you're using, not knowing EXACTLY how much tread you have on them is just stupid.  Does this statement offend you?  I could care less.  I check my tires on my daily ride every time I charge, or gas up (on my ICE bike), plus look at them when I lube and check the chain.  ...a few decades of habit which I had to teach myself.

Though roadracing and canyon slamming are going to demand heavy use of the front brake, and almost no use of the rear, general advice is to use both almost evenly, and in wet conditions use the rear heavily.  The trick is to get your reflexes working for you here, and frankly, though I'm loath to admit it, I ride the rear brake a lot.  The front gives you better stopping power, but the rear gives you far more control.  On your lockup with the pedestrian, that should have been a lockup of the rear brake, and hard braking on the front, but not a lockup. 

Though, yes, I'm a traditionalist (read cranky old fuck who yells at kids on his lawn) who loves drum brakes, I'm not stupid enough to argue that ABS braking isn't a good thing.  Only a squid, however, relies on ABS braking instead of learning how to brake, and by "learning" I mean training their response over repeated practice under almost every circumstance.

Rider safety courses are a) fun.  b) good to do for even experience riders periodically.  c) can be street-riding, dirt riding, racing, or several other flavors depending on what you want.  The link I gave above lists several resources for finding one.  Finally, d) It takes you putting your ego back into your pants for a bit to open yourself up to the possibility that you may benefit from a class, but in my 60 years or so, I've almost always found it worth it.  You can always take your ego back out of your pants afterwards.   ::)

Welcome to the forum, and I hope my tone seems appropriate to my age, now, or not.  I hope others here have more patience with you than I do.  Ciao.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 05:11:44 PM by teddillard »

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2015, 06:20:04 PM »

You have never locked the front even on the dirt Ted? That means you aren't pushing hard enough. Do the pensioners wave when they overtake on their mobility scooters?  ;D

I bet you won't really leave. You are like a moth to the flame of controversy.

(P.s. It is a joke before anyone gets upset)

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2015, 06:36:37 PM »

You really have a way with people, Ted.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

teddillard

« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2015, 06:48:55 PM »

Read it again.  No, I'll spare you.  "and other than dirt riding, I've never.  NEVER.  dumped a bike from locking up the front wheel."  :P

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2015, 07:10:00 PM »

Read it again.  No, I'll spare you.  "and other than dirt riding, I've never.  NEVER.  dumped a bike from locking up the front wheel."  :P

Probably even worse being overtaken by a pensioner on the road though.

I'm pretty sure the IRC Teflon Winner tyres would lock up if you just looked at them a bit funny,  so I wouldn't recommend those road tyres.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2015, 09:15:45 PM »

Not wanting to get involved in anything else, I will comment on "dual sport" tires: There are some very good 90% street/10% dirt-type tires on the market.  I have been used all of the name brand dual sport tires on most of my smaller motorcycles (the ones that don't need 180-width sizes) and really like them.  They get much better mileage than the typical street-only tire and I have found that they stick to pavement just as well, if not better than, any pure street type tire, especially on wet roads. However, they are pretty much useless for off-road riding.  For that you need knobs (the bigger the better) and you don't get those with modern "dual sport" tires.

Say, whatever happened to the $15 "European imported" "Trials Universal" tires like Sears Roebuck used to sell for their Puch motorcycles? I had a set of those on my 1965 Yamaha YA-6 when I was stationed in Massachusetts. They worked pretty well in fresh snow - not so well when the snow hardened and became icy, though.  :o
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

teddillard

« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2015, 09:19:05 PM »

Probably even worse being overtaken by a pensioner on the road though. 

I wouldn't know.  You'd have to ask the last guy I passed.   ;D

pacificcricket

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2015, 09:43:23 PM »

I've placed an order with Hollywood Electrics for the crash bars. Thanks everyone for the input!

vinceherman

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2015, 04:18:19 AM »

I've placed an order with Hollywood Electrics for the crash bars. Thanks everyone for the input!

Pics or it didn't happen.
Really, I would like to see before and after on your bike please.

pacificcricket

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2015, 06:06:24 AM »

Pics or it didn't happen.
Really, I would like to see before and after on your bike please.

Haha, looks like it's not meant to be. Here is the pic of the crash bars :

I took off all the fairings, but still no matter how I look at it I don't think these guys can be attached
to my 2014 DS without additional machining. There must be some difference in the frames between those
bikes. I will ask the dealer about it.

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2015, 06:17:19 AM »

What year are those crash bars?

I know the 2013 bars do require machining of the frame to install them ... and I was told this had to be done at a dealer.
All content I have created here http://bit.ly/1NX4KP9
Pages: 1 [2] 3