• May 07, 2024, 02:37:30 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: Zero 2014 Model Speculations  (Read 13592 times)

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
Re: Zero 2014 Model Speculations
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2013, 03:30:16 PM »

You are probably right Grindz, I don't think a new model year of bike has been released without 'suspension tweaks' in the history of commercial motorcycle sales.  If Honda can't do a full overhaul on a model they always go with a different colour scheme and suspension tweaks.

jazclrint

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2013, 03:50:29 AM »

Could the Zero SR or Type-R rumor be more about an TTXGP eSS homologated customer race bike for next year, ala Brammo TTX?  If they came with Size 6 controllers and were for "Track use only" (and there were enough made) that would make the Size 6 controller legal for certain and maintain the advantage Zeros have over the Brammos in that class for next year.

Doctorbass

• Battery tech
    • View Profile
    • Endless-sphere.com
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2013, 04:03:08 AM »

also since the Zero new 2013 have an empty " gas tank" this might the occasion for them to use that free room to add some usefull stuff inside, like powerfull cahrger or adding more kWh of  battery...

Doc
Zero Drag racing bike: 12.2s 1/4 mile and 7.3s 1/8 mile

T w i t t e r  :     http://twitter.com/DocbassMelancon

grindz145

• Rollin on E-
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2013, 05:00:25 AM »

Size 6 seems very likely to me too.

benswing

• 2016 Zero SR Cross Country Biker, www.Benswing.com
    • View Profile
    • Follow my electric motorcycle adventures on Facebook
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2013, 08:48:55 AM »

Here's my shot in the dark about what may actually happen:
Minor adjustments to style
Slight upgrade to battery (if any)
Same motors
Possibly size 6 option

After riding across the country, here's what I'd like to see:
Larger onboard charger w/ J1772 connector
Aerodynamic body options (2) - 1 like Terry's and 1 that is aerodynamic but less odd.  Preferably easily removable.
Slightly higher footpegs (mine scrape occasionally)
Standard ChaDeMo

On the tour I definitely would have preferred a more upright seating position, but don't need that for daily driving. 
First to 48 states all electric!
 - Long Range Electric Biker - https://www.facebook.com/BenRidesElectric/
 - Video/photo/articles about 4 corners tour: http://www.benswing.com
 - Crossed the USA in 2013 on a 2012 Zero S with the Ride the Future Tour, see the movie at https://vimeo.com/169002549

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2013, 03:14:39 PM »

I can't understand why they don't use the Sevcon for AC-DC rectification, it is designed to do it at high power.  If they replaced the current charger with a box to step down to battery voltage you could charge at up to 6.6KW with probably less weight than the current setup.  Its a no brainer to me.

DesignerDan

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2013, 06:52:37 PM »

I can't understand why they don't use the Sevcon for AC-DC rectification, it is designed to do it at high power.  If they replaced the current charger with a box to step down to battery voltage you could charge at up to 6.6KW with probably less weight than the current setup.  Its a no brainer to me.

The mission R electric motorcycle claims to use the motor controller in reverse to "charge the battery with no addition charging equipment"

grindz145

• Rollin on E-
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2013, 07:46:15 PM »

Where did you find this info NoiseBoy?  I don't think the Sevcon controller itself is setup to do this as is. Are you sure the FETs can handle universal voltages? Even still, the inductance of the motor windings has to be just so, otherwise the ripple current will be impossible to manage. I was blown away when I found out that Mission was pulling this off, but it's not trivial to turn the controller into a charger. I do hope you're right though!

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2013, 03:24:52 PM »

The Sevcon is definitely capable of doing it but it would take some clever programming to allow for the voltage ranges as you say, you would still need to step the AC down to below ~110V which isnt difficult.  You could always switch in additional inductance when charging. it would still be lighter than carrying a standalone 6KW charger.

IIRC the Sevcon can handle up to 25% of its rated current in Regen so even allowing for duty cycle restraints it would handle 5KW no problem.  Controller based charging is the future of EV's imo.  Far more practical than DC chargers like Chademo.

BSDThw

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2013, 01:07:08 AM »

Maybe not a speculation but a wish,

Zero should take care that the bikes are available. I know we had the bikes at Intermot in Köln in October 2012 but it took to long till you could actually test-ride a bike here and if you get something like the FX/XU battery problem, it is a disaster too.
It is not long ago since I could test ride the bike for the first time - and Bike Season is nearly over - your bike will loos value when the new version come out - so why order a new one now?

If Zero don't take more care of things like this people will act with reserve to order next time.

I know it is very hard to develop in time and have tested ...

But Zero has done really good and be the market leader in my opinion no need to push things to the limit; So don't do too much/big steps try to get the bugs out and be on time.
Air Drag Sucks - 2012 Zero DS ZF9 - 2013 Zero FX ZF5.7

kingcharles

• 1st Empulse E1 owner in NL
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2013, 02:44:06 AM »

In Europe Zero is doing a lot better job than Brammo. Bikes that were presented at Intermot are actually available today.
I am still waiting for the Brammo Empulse to arrive, even though I could sit on it already at the same intermot! I already squeezed an extra year out of my Vectrix battery but am now close to buying a Zero.
Once you go EV, gas is history!

Doctorbass

• Battery tech
    • View Profile
    • Endless-sphere.com
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2013, 11:42:17 AM »

If they want to go higher power they will need to change the controller model.
Some already tweaked their zero with the Size 6  660A Sevcon controller and got about 73hp at the wheel wich is awsome.

Apparently Sevcon have  also a 150V Size 6 desing but their PDF is mentionning "NOT AVAILLABLE YET contact us"

This might be a great opportunity for Zero to get these and double power of the 2013 wich would be like 660A and let say 36s ( 150V)

meaning a 99kW model ( 133hp ) !!! :twisted:

Doc
Zero Drag racing bike: 12.2s 1/4 mile and 7.3s 1/8 mile

T w i t t e r  :     http://twitter.com/DocbassMelancon

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2013, 03:25:57 PM »

They aren't going to design a new motor just months after finishing their new one Doc.  Carry on dreaming though!

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2013, 06:17:12 PM »

I don't know that the current motor can't handle 150V. However, it's certainly true that the stock motor requires significant additional cooling with the Sevcon Size 6 in a race environment.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

grindz145

• Rollin on E-
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2013, 06:36:51 PM »

Since Brammo and Zero are using the Sevcon controllers, it doesn't surprise me that they would be developing something larger. However, at this point I would be surprised if someone isn't already planning to use that thing.

I would also be surprised if Zero wasn't already working on another larger motor, but I would be it's unlikely that we would see it this year.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9