• May 15, 2024, 12:19:41 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: 2009 Zero X - Battery only 14 volts, replace bike or battery?  (Read 1750 times)

electrc109

• View Profile
2009 Zero X - Battery only 14 volts, replace bike or battery?
« on: November 12, 2012, 10:35:50 PM »

Okay, so I left my bike with a friend with whom I thought would take care of it.  I live in Hawaii and moved to the mainland for a year. 

My charger gives me the triangle error light when I plug my battery in.  Zero has not been very helpful.

SO, I am betting that I need to replace the battery.  Considering the bike is 3 years old, and technology has improved quite a bit.  I might part out the bike and get a new one.  This won't be immediate since I don't have much money to speak of. 

Are there any bikes out there that have batteries that don't have to live on their charger?

Even when I am around my bike, I still struggle with keeping it on the charger. 

Harlan

• View Profile
    • Hollywood Electrics
Re: 2009 Zero X - Battery only 14 volts, replace bike or battery?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 11:44:47 PM »

You can try to jump start the battery with a slow trickle charge.   It would be best to pull apart the pack and monitor the individual cell voltages.

The 2012 and newer Zeros don't discharge anywhere near as much as the older models.  My understanding is they can sit off the charger for several years without damaging the batteries.
Harlan Flagg
Hollywood Electrics
http://www.hollywoodelectrics.com

electrc109

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 12:27:34 AM »

This battery was a replacement from mid 2011, brand new design from them.

Harlan

• View Profile
    • Hollywood Electrics
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 02:45:40 AM »

It still uses the old style cylindricals and BMS.  Hook up a power supply, something above 48V.  I'd start with a little current, maybe only a couple hundred milliamps, and keep an eye on it to make sure all the cells are coming up evenly before raising the current.  Once you get the voltage up, you should be able to plug in the DeltaQ and have it take over from there.
Harlan Flagg
Hollywood Electrics

electrc109

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 10:14:03 PM »

Oh boy, I don't know where I'm going to find a 48v charger over here.  I live on Kauai, a rural Hawaiian island.  Maybe a golf cart battery charger?

Harlan

• View Profile
    • Hollywood Electrics
Re: Re: 2009 Zero X - Battery only 14 volts, replace bike or battery?
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 10:45:15 PM »

The safest thing to do is to dismantle the battery pack and individually charge the cells while carefully monitoring them. If you're not comfortable doing that, it may be best to leave it be and buy a new pack.
Harlan Flagg
Hollywood Electrics

Doctorbass

• Battery tech
    • View Profile
    • Endless-sphere.com
Re: Re: 2009 Zero X - Battery only 14 volts, replace bike or battery?
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2012, 12:53:34 PM »

The safest thing to do is to dismantle the battery pack and individually charge the cells while carefully monitoring them. If you're not comfortable doing that, it may be best to leave it be and buy a new pack.

Yeah. I did that on my 2010 ds.. the battery was about 6V... i slowly trickle charging all cell bank to about C/10. I have 2 back that are totally dead.. they have curent leak that self discharge them and they can't keep 4.2V. But al the 24 other bank (2x12bank) seem ok but i have not tested the RI and capacity of all these bank yet

i'll work on that during this winter in my battery lab. I also plan on building a range extender for my DS2011. i'll use A123 LiFePO4 20Ah pouch cells in 16s2p + BMS. I will remove the onboard charger and will place the cells at that location.( protected as well). I found some great 1250W VERY compact 48V server power supply that i will install under the seat. This will replace the old deltaQ charger. the volume is like 4 time smaller! and i can adjust/boost that PSU to 58V wich is perfect!

Doc
Zero Drag racing bike: 12.2s 1/4 mile and 7.3s 1/8 mile

T w i t t e r  :     http://twitter.com/DocbassMelancon

emotofreak

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2012, 12:16:24 AM »

Hate to be a wet blanket, but this pack is toast. At best, it would be a marginal pack for low current stuff where you could keep an eye on temps and voltages. Running this pack in a bike an charging it on a deltaq is asking for something VERY BAD to happen. Like burning down the bike and maybe your house. If this pack had gone to 2v a cell maybe you could recover it, but 1v/cell is just too far gone.
Pages: [1]