• May 04, 2024, 03:16:56 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Freeride E-XC dies on me after only 30 minutes of ownership!  (Read 2395 times)

Lagasss

• View Profile

Hi all, I have never experienced anything like this after owning tons of bike... I just bought a 2020 Freeride E-XC, had to drive 7 hours because there is only one dealer selling them up here in Quebec, charged the bike the whole night, next morning, after much anticipation, started the Freeride, drove it in my backyard for 30 minutes then the bike dies on me with error code 51. Now the dealer is 7 hours away... this is driving me nuts. I called them and they don’t have a clue as to why the bike is giving me that code. Grrr.

TEV

• View Profile
Re: Freeride E-XC dies on me after only 30 minutes of ownership!
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2020, 08:52:07 AM »

If you plug it in, it's charging?
2019 ZERO DSR
2020 ZERO FXS

TEV

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2020, 09:02:06 AM »

In the owner's manual:

Blink code 51 on the vehicle - Fault in the ECU - Switch the main switch Off and On.
2019 ZERO DSR
2020 ZERO FXS

Lagasss

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2020, 05:08:18 PM »

Yes it’s charging and fully charged. I tried everything, nothing works.

Fran K

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2020, 06:09:51 PM »

It appears to be y grrr post.

The bike should have had sufficient charge to wear out the average back yard.

It doesn't need all night to change.

Each dealership  only sends one person to battery bike school,. Did you meet them at delivery and speak to them .

Is there a language barrier,. French to English?

Did you go through a rain storm on the way?  I have numerous years with motorcycles and mine was on the pick up for a minor rain shower and the high beam indicator stayed on for 3 or so days no matter which filament was illuminated.  Never had anything like that before.  I can only imagine what a real rain storm might do to one of these things.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 06:50:25 PM by Fran K »

TEV

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2020, 07:09:57 PM »

Check all the connectors that you can find, unplug them, then plug them back, especially the one (ones) that are on the ECU. Maybe is just a loose connection. The main switch should be OFF when you do it.
2019 ZERO DSR
2020 ZERO FXS

Fran K

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2020, 08:43:15 PM »

Check all the connectors that you can find, unplug them, then plug them back, especially the one (ones) that are on the ECU. Maybe is just a loose connection. The main switch should be OFF when you do it.

Do you have one of these?  The battery is removable and the connections at that point seem all that there is really accessable.  There are some wires under the seat and a small lead type battery that could be tested for 12 volts, some more stuff around the headlight.  Mine a 2017 pretty much has the wiring harness for the street versions of Europe.  As far a ecu, it might be inside and perhaps cooled by liquid.  There is an on off sort of kill swith on the handlebar don't know why the manual says to use it and the key every time, I don't.   There may or may not be a tip over switch, usually it doesn't turn off on tipping over but sometimes it does.

Lagasss

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2020, 11:31:28 PM »

Thanks to all for trying to help, I tried everything, no luck. Will have to bring back the bike to the dealer tomorrow...

Lagasss

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2020, 08:51:46 PM »

Dealer changed the ECU, will be getting the bike back today. Wonder what could of caused the ECU to fail only 30 minutes after getting the bike brand New!

I know I jumped with the bike cause we have a backyard dirt bike track, wonder if that is the cause, if so it means the bike has be to be ridden quite softly...

Fran K

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2020, 04:41:59 PM »

I dropped mine pretty hard on frozen ground.  The filament in the light bulb for the headlight went bad. That has to be more shock than jumping it.  Metal hand guards.

TheGriz

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2020, 04:17:57 AM »

You were not alone.  Back in February, after 1 hour on a brand new 2020, mine also died with an error code 51.  I shipped the bike 7 hours to the dealer who had it for 2 months.  They also replaced the motor controller and have since had no problems.  The dealer indicated that there were signs of moisture in the case, but the only water it saw from me was from a single hose washing.

Have loved it ever since...

Pages: [1]