• May 17, 2024, 01:48:10 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: 2015 SR review by Rideapart  (Read 3336 times)

MichaelJohn

• View Profile
Re: 2015 SR review by Rideapart
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2015, 11:16:12 PM »

Motorcycle Consumer News, in spite of getting a mediocre 0-60 time with a heavy rider and Power Tank, dyno'd the '14 SR and got 72.8 HP and 109 LB.-FT...and that was at the rear wheel so Zero's numbers appear to be on the conservative side.
2015 Zero SR - urban terror
2015 Honda NC700X - long distance cruiser

kensiko

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2015, 01:16:18 AM »

OFC it's on the rear wheel ????
Zero S 11.4 2013
Tesla S60 2014 CPO base
Gone -> Nissan Leaf 2014 SV rented (transfer)
Gone -> Prius 2010 bought at 180000 km.

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2015, 01:45:05 AM »

Ken, often horsepower and torque numbers are tested at the motor's output shaft rather than at the rear wheel. That gives slightly higher numbers because you aren't adversely affected by drivetrain losses.

Although neither a belt drive nor chain drive lose very much...they're both very efficient drivetrains.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

CrashCash

• Denizen of Doom since '88
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2015, 01:53:02 AM »

Ken, often horsepower and torque numbers are tested at the motor's output shaft rather than at the rear wheel. That gives slightly higher numbers because you aren't adversely affected by drivetrain losses.

Although neither a belt drive nor chain drive lose very much...they're both very efficient drivetrains.
And a Zero isn't suffering clutch slippage or transmission losses either :)
'07 FJR-1300 & '15 Zero SR

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2015, 03:47:14 AM »

I have heard that a 15% power loss is the rule-of-thumb for a typical IC motorcycle engine with chain drive, between the crankshaft and the rear wheel. Maybe as much as 20% when shaft-drive is used.  I wouldn't be surprised to hear that the Zero drive train is about 95% efficient.  :)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Chocula

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2015, 12:35:14 PM »

As far as I can tell (only talked to 2 Brammo owners) I think anyone actually riding a Brammo sticks it in 2nd or 3rd and leaves it there unless they're drag racing sportbikes. So basically the transmission ends up being dead weight and a nip on efficiency.

I can only speak to the way I ride my Empluse R.  I start in 1st gear ~90% of the time, occasionally I will start in 2nd.  I almost always have it in Sport mode.  My accelerations are "spirited" but not wide open and I generally stay pretty close to the speed limit. I tend to let the motor rev and normally ride with the RPM between 4k and 5k so I don't shift as frequently as I do on my ICE bike and rarely use 5th or 6th gear, but I still shift quite a bit.  I have tried leaving it in 2nd or 3rd and just don't enjoy it nearly as much as utilizing the transmission. 

Most of my rides are short enough that range is not a concern so I make no effort to ride efficiently.  My motorcycle is a toy that happens to provide transportation, but it is still a toy and I ride it as such.  I am fortunate to have several beautify twisty canyon rides available without requiring me to recharge en-route as well as having public J1772 charging stations available if needed.

I test rode the 2014 Zero S and the 2014 Brammo Empluse R back to back.  My preference for the Brammo was in large part the suspension, brakes, on board charger, and the transmission.  I found the riding experience to be more enjoyable on the Brammo, though the performance, lower sound level, and lower maintenance of the 2015 Zero SR had some appeal.  Others will have different priorities and many will choose different bikes.

roma258

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2015, 07:37:11 PM »

Most of my rides are short enough that range is not a concern so I make no effort to ride efficiently.  My motorcycle is a toy that happens to provide transportation, but it is still a toy and I ride it as such.  I am fortunate to have several beautify twisty canyon rides available without requiring me to recharge en-route as well as having public J1772 charging stations available if needed.

I test rode the 2014 Zero S and the 2014 Brammo Empluse R back to back.  My preference for the Brammo was in large part the suspension, brakes, on board charger, and the transmission.  I found the riding experience to be more enjoyable on the Brammo, though the performance, lower sound level, and lower maintenance of the 2015 Zero SR had some appeal.  Others will have different priorities and many will choose different bikes.
Jealous, sounds like you live in a perfect ebike environment (LA?). I look forward to experimenting with my Brammo R now that this long winter is finally over.

Chocula

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2015, 11:26:40 PM »

I am about half way between LA and Santa Barbara.  It's expensive to live here, but I don't miss shoveling snow and I get to play with most of my toys year round.

roma258

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2015, 12:50:10 AM »

I am about half way between LA and Santa Barbara.  It's expensive to live here, but I don't miss shoveling snow and I get to play with most of my toys year round.
Ohhh, you get to play on rt 33 out of Ojai don't you? I officially hate you, but commend your great taste in bikes  >:(

jheth

• View Profile
2015 SR review by Rideapart
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2015, 09:37:07 PM »

After 2+ months of riding my 2015 SR, I can say that I love it... but mildly wish it had more power (my last bike was a Honda 1000RR).

MichaelJohn

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2015, 02:46:12 AM »

After 2+ months of riding my 2015 SR, I can say that I love it... but mildly wish it had more power (my last bike was a Honda 1000RR).
With 170+ horsepower plus roughly 80 pound feet of torque it's no wonder - you're spoiled! But I'll bet you the SR is far more comfortable. How does the Zero compare in midrange acceleration? That is where the SR feels the strongest to me.

jheth

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2015, 05:26:32 AM »

With 170+ horsepower plus roughly 80 pound feet of torque it's no wonder - you're spoiled! But I'll bet you the SR is far more comfortable. How does the Zero compare in midrange acceleration? That is where the SR feels the strongest to me.

The Zero is comparable in low and mid range acceleration. Get the RPM's up there, and the 1000RR beats it for sure. It's a different feeling, so it's tough to compare. The underlying thing I can state when comparing the two is that the Zero is so easy to ride fast. Twist and go. It's awesome, and way more fun. I'll never go back.
And yes, the superbike riding position of the 1000RR is the main reason I got a new bike... I'm getting old  :-(

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2015, 06:03:57 AM »

I'm hoping to pull the trigger on a Honda NC750S DCT within the next week or two. It's the closest I'll get to the experience of riding a Zero whilst being affordable (for me).

There's no doubt in my mind that it won't be as much fun as an SR or my current Fazer 1000. It'll use half the fuel of the latter though and will be more practical and chilled out for my commute.

I'll report back to you all on how it all goes. In my mind the Honda will be a stop-gap for a few years until bikes like the SR become more affordable and dealership support is provided here in London, UK.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2015, 06:50:33 AM »

In a recent conversation with a Honda salesperson, I was told that the Honda DCT system was very popular with new riders and has helped the sales of their newer models and was bringing in more new riders to the sport.   :)

I continue to believe that electric motorcycle sales will really take off some day once the initial purchase price can be brought down to IC motorcycle levels.  That will only occur when batteries become more power dense and less expensive. It will take a while, but it will happen.   :)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

MichaelJohn

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2015, 10:08:45 AM »

I'm hoping to pull the trigger on a Honda NC750S DCT within the next week or two. It's the closest I'll get to the experience of riding a Zero whilst being affordable (for me).

There's no doubt in my mind that it won't be as much fun as an SR or my current Fazer 1000. It'll use half the fuel of the latter though and will be more practical and chilled out for my commute.

I'll report back to you all on how it all goes. In my mind the Honda will be a stop-gap for a few years until bikes like the SR become more affordable and dealership support is provided here in London, UK.
I test rode a Honda NC700X DCT (I don't think we get the S here, and we don't get the 750 either) and was very impressed. I am looking to replace my scooter with something a little more freeway capable for longer rides beyond the Zero's range. The Honda is very easy to ride, has a comfortable upright seating position and it feels way lighter than its 500 lbs due to its impressively low center of gravity. I actually like the added weight for better high-speed stability. The faux-tank storage is a strong point as that is one of the things I really like about my scooter for running errands. The double clutch transmission works well but it is a little clunky. I have a BMW M car and its DCT is WAY smoother and more refined. At least on the Honda you have real gears that you can control if you want to and not a power-robbing CVT. I tried all the shift modes and as soon as I put it in manual with the paddles, or rather buttons, I immediately hit the rev limiter. The redline is really low, around 6500 rpm, so short-shifting is mandatory. It is no speed demon, but it has decent torque and responds quickly - it's just that there isn't a whole lot of acceleration after the initial response but it's really not too bad. It's not quite an SR :) but it's a fun ride. At least it's faster than my scooter! I am looking at other motorcycles too but when I get on a standard bike and grab the clutch I realize that I don't miss it at all. In fact, I think I'm a better and safer rider not having to think about changing gears. I think you would probably really like the Honda. I have been lurking on their forum and the bike has a very devoted following and it has also been very well reviewed and gets exceptional mileage - up to 70 mpg in our gallons. I think it is a very good choice and as far as a hand-clutchless ICE bike with a real transmission it's the only game in town. I may very well buy one myself as I am quite taken with it. Would love to hear your thoughts if you get one.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 10:52:54 AM by MichaelJohn »
Pages: 1 [2] 3