Makes And Models > Alta Motorcycles

2019 Alta Redshift EXR dual sport review

(1/3) > >>

Richard230:
Here is a review of the latest from Alta:  http://www.motorcycle.com/features/2019-alta-redshift-exr-dual-sport-first-ride-review.html

Fran K:
It would be nice if the writers of motorcycle articles that compare them to tractors had actually burned a few tanks full of diesel in a tractor.  To say twist the throttle and it tractors up to me is wrong.  A tractor is governed, the operator sets the throttle and it makes more noise as the load increases the operator does not adjust the throttle.  Pretty amazing actually a diesel tractor stand on the brake for one rear wheel and the thing comes right around.

My Ktm freeride actually does behave like a tractor at 35mph (top speed is 47 or so) at least the one time I went from flat to hill it held the speed with no throttle position change.  Not at low speed by any means though.  That is the kind of tractor comparison I can see as legitimate.

Richard230:

--- Quote from: Fran K on July 05, 2018, 03:25:01 AM ---It would be nice if the writers of motorcycle articles that compare them to tractors had actually burned a few tanks full of diesel in a tractor.  To say twist the throttle and it tractors up to me is wrong.  A tractor is governed, the operator sets the throttle and it makes more noise as the load increases the operator does not adjust the throttle.  Pretty amazing actually a diesel tractor stand on the brake for one rear wheel and the thing comes right around.

My Ktm freeride actually does behave like a tractor at 35mph (top speed is 47 or so) at least the one time I went from flat to hill it held the speed with no throttle position change.  Not at low speed by any means though.  That is the kind of tractor comparison I can see as legitimate.

--- End quote ---

And you think that a motorcycle journalist in Los Angles would know anything about tractors?  I have heard worse descriptions of vehicles that have good traction and torque at the rear wheel.  ;)  I thought it was a decent review of a new electric motorcycle model that the author had never ridden before.

Fran K:
To discuss the article not the motorcycle.  I also do not have anti kick start feelings the way he does.  It was long enough to be useful.  How about that rating of 9 out of 10 for ergonomics/comfort.  It is what it is the seat looks like a seat designed for standing.

The description of the extent of regenerative braking and control of it seems minimal for an article of that length.  Whether the charger is extra or included in the price quoted is missing. I thought the ex has two choices for charger, both extra $.  The article reads plugged bike into gasoline generator. Maybe it is that way for exr like supermoto one? The price I was given on an Alta bike perhaps a  year ago had some pretty steep dealer set up and freight charges. 

I think the military bike, diesel hybrid is exciting, any articles you manage to find about that would be appreciated.  Alta is involved in that.

Richard230:

--- Quote from: Fran K on July 05, 2018, 08:08:29 PM ---To discuss the article not the motorcycle.  I also do not have anti kick start feelings the way he does.  It was long enough to be useful.  How about that rating of 9 out of 10 for ergonomics/comfort.  It is what it is the seat looks like a seat designed for standing.

The description of the extent of regenerative braking and control of it seems minimal for an article of that length.  Whether the charger is extra or included in the price quoted is missing. I thought the ex has two choices for charger, both extra $.  The article reads plugged bike into gasoline generator. Maybe it is that way for exr like supermoto one? The price I was given on an Alta bike perhaps a  year ago had some pretty steep dealer set up and freight charges. 

I think the military bike, diesel hybrid is exciting, any articles you manage to find about that would be appreciated.  Alta is involved in that.

--- End quote ---

I haven't heard a peep about the mil-spec hybrid concept since it was first announced some time ago.  Perhaps the grant money ran out? I wouldn't think that the Alta chassis was large enough to enclose both an IC engine and its fuel tank, as well as their electrical drive system components.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version