Makes And Models > Alta Motorcycles

Alta web article, corrections and additions?

(1/1)

spinningmagnets:
Hi, my name is Ron and I've recently started writing for a new web-magazine, electricmotorcycle.com...Here is an article I put together fabout Alta Motors. I was just wondering if anyone here would take a look and possibly find any errors, or point out anything relevant that was left out.

Eventually, I'd like to add more information about the motor and battery, which is what brought me here. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

https://electricmotorcycle.com/alta-motors/

Fran K:
There are a few folks on here that like to write articles.  I think your article is quite good.  Now I know why they call them red shift.  A good reason for me to wait until they have another model as I want something a bit more utilitarian.

The part that could use some re writing, at least from my viewpoint has to do with the reduction gearing.  I think every other mx or dual sport or supermoto has gear primary drive.  The advantage of a chain primary drive is that usually the transmission input and output shaft are one inside the other and in high gear the transmission is basically bypassed and only the chain primary (or belt) and secondary chain (or belt) is really in use.  The alta  uses a helical cut primary reduction gear. I thought these motors spun in the 5000-6000rpm range  I could be wrong one might compute from the wheel circumference, secondary reduction (chain) and primary reduction (gear) and see what rpm one gets at 70mph.  Where did you get the 12,000rpm figure from?  Your prototype picture with straight cut gear and two stage  reduction is different from what is inside the owners manual.  I think it is helical cut and single stage now.

Something that could be discussed is why they chose to use the forks from KTM models that that have one fork different from the other as opposed to ones that use springs and internals the same on each side.

I see you are Mercedes Benz oriented when talking about timing gears on automobiles.  I am more pick up truck oriented.  My 1984 in line 6 cylinder had a timing gear while the v8 of that era had a chain.  Now the Diesel engines have the gears and the gasoline ones chain.  Salesmen can act like chain is great because it is not belt.  Not sure I would even keep that stuff perhaps note the advantages of a helical cut gear as I think similar gasoline bikes are usually straight cut.  One can go to bike bandit site or tucker rocky and pull up the exploded parts sheets to verify.

Does it really have a radiator, I thought it used the insides of the frame.  Kind of strange they do not use hose clamps but disposable bands, Have spare hoses on hand, see manual.

Check out with someone who does something in the cold other than rolling out a warm bike and riding it.  Lithium Ion power hand tools are all over the place in the low temp usage lower limit.  Makita is do not recharge if below 50 degrees F.  My electric Freeride drastically powers down in the cold after about 2/3 of the usual range and usually it does not power down that drastically.

That is all I recall to comment on at this point.

spinningmagnets:
Thanks for taking the time to respond. I will dig into this on my next day off...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version