• May 15, 2024, 11:25:59 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: More electric mini-scooters  (Read 523 times)

Richard230

• View Profile
More electric mini-scooters
« on: November 23, 2014, 07:33:13 AM »

It seems like auto and motorcycle companies, as well as others, are really embracing electric scooters.  I guess that is because they provide more of a blank canvas for their styling efforts.  But I wonder how big the market is for these small, low power, scooters?  It would seem like they would only be useful in a city, but most cities accommodate and encourage bicycle riders more than scooter riders and most have decent public transportation systems.  Plus, not only is a bicycle less expensive than a scooter, it is much easier to secure your bicycle and to bring it into your residence for safekeeping when you are not using it.  While I appreciate these innovative electric scooters, I just don't think they are very practical:  http://cleanrider.com/mini-city-surfer-concept/
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

MotoRyder

• Riding innovative motorcycle machinery is a passion
    • View Profile
Re: More electric mini-scooters
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 11:21:33 AM »

I'm in total agreement with you, I don't see the market for these type of devices. 

However, in very crowded major cities in Europe or Asia, then something on the smaller side and less weighty might have some benefit.

Also I know I'm looking at it from an adult-sized perspective.  Perhaps some younger and/or smaller riders find them to be fun ??

Thanks for the daily posts to the forum, it's interesting to see the new topics that you bring forth and the variety of news from different angles.
Traveling by motorcycle, one can experience the true ambience of the surroundings

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 08:39:12 PM »

I've been assuming that "vehicles" like these allow the manufacturers to put forth an appearance that they're working toward alternative, eco-friendly vehicles without wasting a lot of dollars, time or energy actually doing so. Slap a few off-the-shelf components together, sell a few units (maybe enough to meet some quota) and wink at Uncle Sam..."See, we're working on alternatives! It's not our fault if nobody wants to buy them".
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 08:41:42 PM »

If I was in the market for a short-range, low-speed, easy to ride and store, urban transport that I didn't have to pedal much, I would just get a battery-powered bicycle.  There are a ton of those around at a fraction of the cost of even a small scooter.  You don't need a DMV license, no insurance, any bicycle will go as fast as an electric scooter, they are easy to carry into buildings, can be recharged anywhere, including at your desk at work, you don't need to work up a sweat to get somewhere, etc., etc,.   And, with the advances in power trains, such as Li batteries and small hub motors, an electric bicycle can be not much heavier than a regular mountain or other rugged bike (which is what you want anyway for riding in most cities).

So I see scooters as the auto or motorcycle designer's way of getting their wares into auto shows on the cheap, but the electric bike seems like the more practical and affordable choice for individual urban transportation to me.   :)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.
Pages: [1]