• May 08, 2024, 05:01:43 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Extreme Charging Makeover  (Read 2414 times)

Rugby4life

• View Profile
Re: Extreme Charging Makeover
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2018, 05:42:31 AM »

@Electric Cowboy is building the adapter cables for me. I have easy access to the Anderson connectors leading to the J-plug inlets. So instead of making adapters with expensive J-plugs, I'll connect straight into the Andersons. For our testing sessions we used his personal development unit.  which Ys from the tesla inlet to the Andersons. As far as signaling, you'll have to ask him. That's beyond my limited knowledge at the moment.
"Before attempting to beat the odds, first determine if you can survive the odds beating you."

Rugby4life

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2018, 06:58:21 AM »

Oops, popped my first circuit breaker today. I should have guessed it was a shared station with 3.3kw per side based on how skinny the cords were. Ran for about 2 minutes before it shut down. The other plug that was feeding the single Diginow kept running, so like an idiot, I switched it to the other side and 2 minutes later... silence. I'm learning something new each day and in the 500 miles of fast charging, I still haven't paid for a single electron. Saving time and saving money, that's how I roll.
"Before attempting to beat the odds, first determine if you can survive the odds beating you."

Emtkopan

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2018, 11:08:45 AM »

Oops, popped my first circuit breaker today. I should have guessed it was a shared station with 3.3kw per side based on how skinny the cords were. Ran for about 2 minutes before it shut down. The other plug that was feeding the single Diginow kept running, so like an idiot, I switched it to the other side and 2 minutes later... silence. I'm learning something new each day and in the 500 miles of fast charging, I still haven't paid for a single electron. Saving time and saving money, that's how I roll.

Where are you charging that it’s not costing you anything?

Rugby4life

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2018, 05:17:58 AM »

Where are you charging that it’s not costing you anything?

A lot of places don't bill you for J Plug charging. This is where apps like PlugShare come in really handy so you can a.) scope out what costs around you and b.) route planning for free.

Here's a screen shot from PlugShare of the free stations within a 50 mile radius of my house. I've also mapped out all of my favorite rides within a 5 state radius without having to stop at a single pay station. Considering I didn't pay any more for the Zero (with Diginow charge pan) than I have for any of my recent BMW and Ducatis, and factoring in the greatly reduced maintenance costs and ZERO fuel costs, the economics swing in my favor quite quickly.

Rugby4life

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2018, 08:55:56 AM »

Selling the stock charger from my '17 SR. Just over 1k miles of charges on it. I live near GSP airport in upstate SC. Will meet you within 150 miles. $500 with free pick up (or meet up) or actual shipping costs. Also posted in the marketplace.

Doctorbass

• Battery tech
    • View Profile
    • Endless-sphere.com
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2018, 02:59:48 AM »

Very nice review Rugby4life

I also work with 3 SCV2 and have a  2017 SR.

I also got the famous more and more known what you call "Zombie charger" problem.

For what i know is that once i reconnected the stock GW 1.3kW charger the green light now remain OFF and i can key ON and key OFF the bike without that problem of green light or 0:00 charge time displayed.

It seem that the GW charger have the circuit or bypass that is used to bleed  any residual energy stored in a caps in the BMS or MBB.

Since i reconnected temporarely that GW cahrger problem never reapearred. However i will have to test if charging again with the SCV2 re-activathe the problem...

My firmware version is 16 i think.

Also... I have one of the few  frankenstein 2017 Zero that are made of 4 bricks and that does not have the long bricks...... kinda badluck but still unacceptable as it is clarely advertized that it now have the long bricks (2x 28s2p)technology...

Doc
Zero Drag racing bike: 12.2s 1/4 mile and 7.3s 1/8 mile

T w i t t e r  :     http://twitter.com/DocbassMelancon

Rugby4life

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2018, 07:12:43 AM »

DB, I read about a trick to get past the zombie charger error. Instead of sitting and waiting for the excess energy to bleed off, put the bike in run mode with the kickstand up just like you are going to ride away. With the throttle closed, roll forward a few feet, the zombie disappears and the run light comes on. Then you ride away like normal. It has worked for me for the last 1k miles. In my layman's mind I think the forward motion (doesn't work rolling backwards) tricks the bike into thinking the excess charge is coming from regen.
As far as the battery construction goes, it doesn't really bother me. I've worked in a BMW factory for 24 years now and know how many rolling changes are made to a car's design throughout a model year. Now, if Zero gets twinges of guilt over giving me a 2016 runout battery, I'll gladly let them substitute a 2018 14.4kw battery as penitence.   ;D

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2018, 07:14:32 PM »

My firmware version is 16 i think.

Also... I have one of the few  frankenstein 2017 Zero that are made of 4 bricks and that does not have the long bricks...... kinda badluck but still unacceptable as it is clarely advertized that it now have the long bricks (2x 28s2p)technology...

Doc

I think I experienced the zombie charging bug once as well, rolling forward did fix it in the past. Version 22

How did you check for # of bricks?

Running the BMS command on MY17 DSR

- Model Year                : 2017
  - Pack Capacity             : 104 AH
  - Pack Capacity Remaining   :  89 AH
  - Total Energy Used         : 182 KWH
  - Number Of Bricks          :   4

I do see 28 battery voltages

All content I have created here http://bit.ly/1NX4KP9
Pages: 1 [2]