• May 05, 2024, 05:02:44 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Almost got splatted today...  (Read 2090 times)

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
Almost got splatted today...
« on: July 05, 2020, 04:32:18 AM »

A pickup truck decided to blow a red light I was stopped at today; the light had gone yellow and I wouldn't make it even if I gunned it so I just regened down to a stop and let the traffic behind me catch up (it was a ways back when I started on the brake).

This guy gunned it around the car behind me into the oncoming lane and through the intersection just as the other stopped car was about to go.

Inches from being squished!

Ugh.

-Crissa
« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 08:30:45 AM by Crissa »
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
Re: Almost got splatted today...
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2020, 07:27:16 AM »

So you found a department store to get a change of underwear, then?
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2020, 08:35:38 AM »

I got strawberries from the fruit stand before continuing on home.

Made for enough of a break I was safe to ride again.  Man, riding takes so much concentration that a little distraction makes my riding so much worse.

At least now my riding is good enough that a little worse isn't disastrous ^-^

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

KrazyEd

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2020, 11:00:18 AM »

Glad that you are safe.
I have been relatively fortunate in my riding. I started on a motorcycle, getting my licence to ride in 1969.
I believe that STARTING on a motorcycle rather than getting one later has helped. If someone pulls out and
hits your car, you have a dent. If they do the same on your motorcycle, you have broken bones.
I like my bones in one piece.

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2020, 11:35:01 AM »

Yeah, tho honestly when I was a teen I rode a bicycle five miles to school (and five back) every nice day the last two years.  Which, on the edge of the Olympic peninsula, was not exactly alot of days.  So I'm used to being the smallest thing on the road.

I do wish more drivers got access to small motorcycles and e-bikes before cars.  If the licensing system encouraged it, I'd be all for it.  Studies show that drivers who have been trained as motorcycle riders are more likely to identify motorcycles even when behind the wheel.  Which should translate to being safer drivers.

-Crissa
« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 11:18:21 PM by Crissa »
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

shayan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2020, 01:53:01 PM »

I couldn't agree more! I kind of nerd out on any motorcycle when I drive and more so if it's electric 🙂
-Shayan

2020 Zero SR/F standard + ChargeTank

BigPoppa

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2020, 07:41:23 PM »

Glad you made it through okay. As the years wear on, I’m no longer shocked or caught off guard by the sheer stupidity exhibited by both drivers and riders, but drivers especially. I’ll admit I’ve done my fair share of stupid sh*t over the years but nothing like I’ve noticed over the past few years. I chalk it up to a selfish, me first attitude that seems to be permeating society as a whole.

My wife and I we just talking about this a couple of days ago and IMHO it’s also partly due to the car culture in the US and the general feeling that driving is a right, not a privilege. People don’t have enough skin in the game to curtail their more reckless behavior. If licensing was a longer, more expensive process and the consequences included a higher probability of permanently losing your license I would argue we would see less of this kind of general f*ckery.

Of course this would also mean major improvements in our public transportation infrastructure to account for the number of people permanently banned from the roads.

Sorry, feeling a bit disgusted with people in general this morning after being kept up most of the night by illegal fireworks.
2023 Can-Am Spyder F3 Limited

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2020, 07:48:36 PM »

I rode a BICYCLE everywhere until I got my motorcycle license.  You think you're invisible on a motorcycle??  On a bicycle, even if they see you, they assume you're moving a LOT slower than you really are.  That's how I honed my street survival skills (though I didn't realize it at the time).
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR
Pages: [1]