• May 06, 2024, 12:51:28 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: How to test kickstand switch for 2016 DSR?  (Read 1862 times)

vkruger

• View Profile
How to test kickstand switch for 2016 DSR?
« on: February 09, 2016, 06:32:20 AM »

My DSR acts like the kickstand switch is broken. It doesn't look like a mechanical switch so it must sense the aluminium kickstand. I tried laying metal and a magnet on it with no response.  The connector is nearly impossible to get at so does anyone know where the red black and blue wires go that I may be able to get at and what to short out? I could cut the cable but if it isn't the problem I'd hate to start messing around while still under warranty. Just my luck that this is the first really hot day of the year (90 degrees) and I can't ride it.

BeezrGeezr

• View Profile
Re: How to test kickstand switch for 2016 DSR?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 08:21:18 AM »

If it is the same as a '16 FX I think you'll find that the kickstand has a little round magnet in it and it sits directly adjacent to the switch when the stand is up. After removing the switch from it's two screws and still dangling from its wires, I found a small, strong magnet and taped it to the switch. Then stuffed the wires, switch and all, under the rubber cover to the front. Works great and I didn't destroy anything!

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 08:45:35 AM »

Sanity check: safety cutout switch? I haven't had to do continuity checks on a Zero yet, thankfully
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 02:57:43 AM by BrianTRice »
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

vkruger

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2016, 09:20:54 AM »

Yes my kickstand still has the magnet in it. I added a small one on top of that and tried several different magnets to the corner of the switch with no luck. I guess I'll have to truck the bike to the dealer.

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2016, 10:42:58 AM »

Stupid question: double check the motor kill switch? I've accidentally flipped mine more than once and taken far longer than I should have to realize it...
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2016, 03:00:53 PM »

Yes my kickstand still has the magnet in it. I added a small one on top of that and tried several different magnets to the corner of the switch with no luck. I guess I'll have to truck the bike to the dealer.

You're not explaining how you identified the kickstand switch as the problem. What else did you check? From reading the thread, it's not clear why you should believe that this failed versus even the simplest thing like your motor kill switch is in the off position (or maybe the kill switch is defective - this is what continuity checks are for).
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

ultrarnr

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2016, 07:50:55 PM »

Here's another vote for checking your motor kill switch!  :)

vkruger

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2016, 08:15:28 PM »

I cycled the kill switch several times and nothing happened. It could be the problem or the kickstand switch or something else. I can check out the kill switch but I don't know what the 3 wires to the kickstand switch should act like. That is why I started this thread. When I installed the side racks I was working near the kickstand switch and wires so that is where I wanted to check first. I'll try tonight to get at and reset the kickstand connector in case I pulled it loose. If I get at it it would be nice to know what to jumper to test the switch.

chdfarl

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2016, 10:19:03 PM »

DISCLAMER: i am not a zero tech or even familiar with your particular bikes wiring.

I don't know but here's how I'd say to approach your issue.  Using a voltage meter probe neg to one wire pos to each of the other wires. Do that with each two wire combination when you see a reading then you've identified the feed and ground (black lead would be on ground unless meter reads - then it's the other wire). So know you can put the black probe on the ground and the red to the wire that is left over.  When you move the magnet you should see a reading.  If not there are two actions to try but since you bought a brand new warranted bike I'd say it was time the place that you bought it at replace and test it.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 10:20:49 PM by chdfarl »

aaronzeromoto

• View Profile
    • Zero Motorcycles
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2016, 01:37:35 AM »

vkruger,

Especially since your motorcycle is under warranty, I want to urge caution. As several have pointed out, it's not clear why you think the kickstand is the problem.  There is a Dash Error code that should confirm whether it's down or not.  But its likely best to work with a dealer to sort this out.

In particular, you should avoid shorting the red and black wires on the kickstand switch that can have bad consequences. We have seen instances where people damage their MBB and other components when attempting to make kickstand modifications. Cutting the wire is also highly discouraged.
@aaronzeromoto
Zero Motorcycles
Director of Customer Experience

2018 Zero DSR + 6kW Charge Tank
2016 Zero FXS
2015 Zero DS + 2.5 kW Charge Tank
2014 Zero SR + Power Tank
2013 Zero DS ZF11.4, Zero FX ZF5.7 and Zero XU 2.8
2007 Yamaha V Star

vkruger

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2016, 08:37:39 PM »

It turned out to be the connector for the kickstand sensor. I could not dig it out but was able to release and reconnect and everything worked! I don't know if it was loose, had some obstruction  or was not seated properly. My commute was fine. I hope the problem doesn't reoccur. Thanks everyone for you suggestions.

evdjerome

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2018, 04:43:22 AM »

Anyone know how to "release and reconnect" the kickstand sensor as vkruger said he did? Trying to leave work for my 46 mile commute home and the bike is acting like the kickstand is still down. Yes, I've tried the kill switch multiple times.
2015 Zero DS 14.4 (originally 12.5)
2012 Zero DS 9 (sold)

UW4E

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2019, 01:12:24 PM »

I have a problem with the kick stand switch as well now.
But it seems, that this is happening only while below 0°C
Does anybody has the same experience?

I could ride last weekend, but now on monday morning it's not working again (had the same problem last week...).
It's clearly an issue with the switch, because "Error 45" is shown in the display.

For the (long time) not answered question above see:
https://zeromanual.com/wiki/Kickstand_Switch_Replacement
and
https://zeromanual.com/wiki/Unofficial_Service_Manual#Kickstand_Switch

Greetings,
Uwe

With an electric motorcycle to Iceland - June 2018:
http://www.uw4e.de

Zero S 2015 - 41,000 km / 25,800 miles since July 2016 (Status Nov '18)
Pages: [1]