• May 09, 2024, 12:06:10 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: What Zero should work on for the 2021 models ?  (Read 3761 times)

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
Re: What Zero should work on for the 2021 models ?
« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2019, 01:53:59 AM »

Universal Building Code requires a dedicated circuit for each built in appliance or EV charger.  (which is weird when you find out your oven and fridge only use a couple hundred watts, but better safe than sorry, right?)

Zeros are designed not to draw more than a personal space heater.  But I've pointed out, I've popped 15a circuits with mine, so I make sure it's the only thing on a 20a circuit (well, aside from some LED lighting.  I gotta see what I'm doing.) when I'm charging now.  Technically I'm running it on a 130' run of cable so I'm careful.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2019, 04:25:04 AM »

in .no you are required to have a dedicated circuit for EV charging..
It depends. An electrician who has a connection to Tesla in any way has that requirement. I wish I knew that when I had my "Tesla Wall Connectors" installed. I could NOT get it done the way I wanted. I wanted a Circuit breaker panel right next to it at three different houses. I wanted to use the CB panel as a switch to turn off and on the Tesla Wall Connector. One house I used a Tesla guy (this house in Reno), the other two I  did not. I was told by the electrician with a connection to Tesla that he  had to take a photo of the work they do and send it into Tesla. It would not pass Tesla's requirements if there was a way  possible to add circuits to it. Since a CB box could be added to, it was a no-go. But I was able to get an air conditioner type disconnect added, as there is no way to add to such.

In the other two houses, I made sure the electrician had NO connection to Tesla. I got the work done exactly the way I wanted and all three houses were inspected by the city inspector and all was fine.

It's just that Tesla has their own ways of doing things. And that isn't my way. So if you're too lazy to install your own Tesla Wall Connector (like me), do NOT get an electrician who has to report back to Tesla, if you want the work done your way. The city codes are NOT the issue. It's Tesla. It's possible for other EV companies  as well, but I can only tell you about Tesla.

-Don-  Reno, NV

1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2019, 06:21:33 AM »

Sure, there's a requirement for an "EV charger". But we have generic 110 VAC cords, with generic plugs, that plug into generic 110 VAC outlets. The outlet doesn't know anything, and the breaker doesn't know anything about the nature of the load plugged into it. It's just a plug-in device. It might as well be a table lamp.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2019, 11:58:51 AM »

No, the Universal Building Code states that there should be only one installed appliance per circuit.

Now, Tesla might be extra-careful, trying to make sure that no one violates that.  There's liability and there's what makes them look bad, and they don't want that.

There's nothing in the rules saying you can't put a cut-off box.  But the universal rule still is one installed appliance per circuit.

A table-lamp and a television or a Zero aren't 'installed', so they can legally share their outlets.  Just don't overload the circuit! ^-^

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

MrBlc

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2019, 12:11:57 PM »

@DonTom: Perhaps it depends where you are, but in .no the rules are quite clear. ;)

Coming from a family of EE and EI's, i created my own CB setup.. But then again.. having 3 EV's where some can handle 400v 3phase charging and some don't, i wasn't about to pull more than one supply cable from the house..
So.. Having built my own setup (not recommended if you don't know how this stuff works) of charge controllers, circuits for each outlet/pigtail, transformer, relays and EMC filters, i have no issue proclaiming to people without knowledge that this is not something to take lightly.

IF YOU USE AN EV CHARGER REGULARLY AT HOME, INVEST IN A PROPER CHARGER INSTALLATION!

In that sense, it's kinda weird to see the zero's (pre SR/F) with a normal pin plug.. Looking forward to getting the DigiNow charger installed instead.

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 17, 2019, 01:05:07 PM »

Even a Tesla can charge from a regular ol' outlet.  It's just about not pulling more than the infrastructure.

I like that more things are being built where the stuff at the ends is smart enough to ask (from L2 charging to the variety of USB charging standards out there now) what the pieces connected can handle.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 17, 2019, 01:46:25 PM »

Even a Tesla can charge from a regular ol' outlet. 
If you have three or four days to wait for the charge to complete!

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 17, 2019, 11:30:23 PM »

If you have three or four days to wait for the charge to complete!
Why does everyone assume 0->100%?
Besides, a Tesla is smart enough to keep itself warm or cool when plugged in, which maintains battery charge instead of exhausting it.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

NoMoreIdeas

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 18, 2019, 10:21:26 AM »

Better charging options would be nice, even if they are off board. The quiq chargers are very outdated and slow compared to the aftermarket stuff you can get now. Actually factory on board chargers would be a good upgrade too, the FX pulls a whole ~5 amps at 120v.. that stock charger is a joke!

I doubt we'll see DC fast charging anytime soon, as they will have to change the motor wingdings, charger and controller as well as the battery. The bikes are pretty decent as they are now and from what I understand are selling well, I dont think they have went this long without any changes to the X line at least

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 18, 2019, 12:45:17 PM »

Why does everyone assume 0->100%?
Yeah, then get your 50% charge in only 48 hours or so!

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 19, 2019, 07:35:56 AM »

Yeah, then get your 50% charge in only 48 hours or so!
Better than coming back and having lost range sitting in the car park.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]