• May 10, 2024, 02:27:39 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: *APRIL 28* Zero Factory Tour, ride from Saratoga  (Read 2909 times)

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
Re: *APRIL 28* Zero Factory Tour, ride from Saratoga
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2018, 06:44:55 AM »

Hmmm. Hour by hour they are predicting 93% chance of rain overnight dropping to 69% in the morning, 13% by noon and 2% at 6pm.  Maybe push is back a little?
Did  the ride happen? Who/how many showed up? I opted out due to not wanting to ride wet highways from Livermore to Saratoga. But afternoon weather was great, so I road my MTB bike for a few miles instead. Alternate date of April 28 was mentioned; what's the status?

I posted date change here and to the f-book group.

Maybe I should have been clearer.

It'll be April 28 now.

our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2018, 10:21:20 PM »

I've got 6kW charging operational, will do my very best to attend on-time.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2018, 02:37:16 AM »

I cannot attend until later that day, due to a software development research group meetup that I am a critical part of. I'll try to meet onsite at Zero when I can, but will likely miss the tour or something.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

togo

• View Profile
Re: Hwy 9 ride, Zero factory tour Saturday 2018 March 17
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2018, 09:47:53 AM »

> Yes, plenty of charging at the factory.

"Aaron Cheatham > ‎Hwy 9 ride, Zero factory tour, lunch

"Looks like we will have decent weather this time. Looking forward to the ride. Please be sure to mark that you are going to I can confirm we have plenty of charging ready at the factory."

Post here if you are coming but not on f-book and I'll pass along the count.

togo

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2018, 09:49:27 AM »

I cannot attend until later that day, due to a software development research group meetup that I am a critical part of. I'll try to meet onsite at Zero when I can, but will likely miss the tour or something.

I'm glad you'll try to come for part of it and will let you know where we go for lunch after

Shadow

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2018, 09:03:31 PM »

At Santa Clara Water District 100%. What a mess it was trying to get my bike's charging systems to behave on the ride up from Reno. Looking forward to this group ride! Heading over to Big Basin Cafe in a few minutes see y'all there.

gyrocyclist

• Zero. Because motorcycles should be seen and not heard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2018, 04:09:47 AM »

I plan to attend, riding in from Livermore. Not worried about charging at Zero HQ, as I have two elcon chargers.
2018 SR
2016 Honda CB500X
2022 BMW F900XR

Curt

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2018, 11:37:08 AM »

That was a nice ride and tour. Zero's operations are extremely professional. Thanks to all, especially Aaron, Justin, Jeff and Sam for taking such good care of us on a Saturday and juicing up our bikes. It was impressive what some of us have accomplished in terms of charge & capacity mods.

Steve (on the Honda) and I had a Mexican lunch then headed back to Mountain View via Mountain Charlie and Bear Creek. By that route (32mi) I'd be able to make it there and back.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 04:28:03 AM by Curt »

Shadow

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2018, 01:03:14 AM »

The Q&A session did bolster my confidence in the brand and direction Sam/Zero (CEO) is taking with the company. I was glad to ride with all of us attending!

It was said very clearly to the group by Aaron/Zero that modding your bike with a third party charging system (specifically digiNow as a directed example), is NOT and cannot be looked at as widely invalidating the "bike" warranty, but that repairing damages from a modification would not be covered by the "bike" nor "battery" warranty. Simple Magnusson law stuff for USA people, but it is Aaron saying this is the way it is for Zero Motorcycles (not specifying any single market) and anyone who says otherwise should talk directly to him and get updated to the correct policy. The counterpoint to this as an example is that there are some firmware improvements which add protection of the Powertank for example and it disconnects if any charging power to the whole system goes over a certain limit. This is why Powertank plus QuiQ is not a supported configuration. It is totally insane to me as a technician-minded person that there's no ChangeLog mentioning this very basic and clear explanation; however as both Sam and Aaron have mentioned the Zero Motorcycle customer is a weird blend of Consumer Tech Gadget and "Motorcyclist or Motorcycle Rider" and it's always going to be the case we as a customer base will find a way to misinterpret official statements in the worst possible way.

There is also a Zero Motorcycles concept of Vehicle Off Road (i.e non operational sitting at a dealership for service) and Aaron stated the high importance of tracking these instances. I do get the feeling personally that he's still trying to scale his workflow / get assistance from other Zero employees, to grow with the demands and actionable items won't get overlooked or forgotten about; he clearly cares and is aware that an issue may have been buried by higher level and so company operations level items (the 2012 battery recall) when I interact with him.

I've seen bike logs where a contactor welded shut from this exact scenario, and a firmware update would add these protections that prevent damage to the contactor by "dumb" bulk fast charging; side-effect is that attempting to fast charge above a certain rate will lead in effect to Powertank and Monolith at different voltages, so a bike that won't run, and/or possibly no way to get it to charge without takong the bike apart...  That particular bike sits with no resolution on the dealership service queue and the dealership is too short staffed to address even the main Polaris / Indian bread-and-butter service jobs. It's my local dealership too and I've experienced this gap in service with months of VOR. I'm glad to hear Sam talk on the focus to develop out the existing service model to support customers when dealerships fall flat (while firstly supporting and respecting dealerships with training). Aaron clearly shouldn't have to interact with me when he's juggling a recall so I was interacting with Nicholas, and actually I shouldn't have to do this either it is my dealership that fell into a gap, the whole thing is sort of confusing as a customer wanting some support but I do find all persons involved to be well-meaning.

I'm omitting some points but those are the big ones to me...  and yes I tend to harp/ too long on this I'm excited to hear sensible things from Sam and Aaron that should (given some time) be positive for Zero Motorcycles and owners of their products.

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2018, 02:07:22 AM »

some firmware improvements which add protection of the Powertank for example and it disconnects if any charging power to the whole system goes over a certain limit.

That just dashed the hopes of people installing diginow chargers in place of the stock charger and making room for a power tank add-on latter. It would be good to know the "certain limit" mentioned. I wonder if it would be a setting inside the MBB or Controller on bikes with powertanks?

there's no ChangeLog mentioning this very basic and clear explanation
As someone who knows more about these bikes then most dealers in my area this is also very frustrating.

That said ... it seems odd that zero didn't program in a CAN directive to limit charging to a certain Amp rating when a powertank is installed so the charger connecting to the bike would know what the bike wants vs simply disconnecting it :/ I am sure I am missing something here but ...
All content I have created here http://bit.ly/1NX4KP9

gyrocyclist

• Zero. Because motorcycles should be seen and not heard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2018, 03:34:19 AM »

I plan to attend, riding in from Livermore. Not worried about charging at Zero HQ, as I have two elcon chargers.
I got to Saratoga -- then another rider asked if I knew my rear tire (which has < 400 miles on it) was nearly flat. S--t! Bikes parked in Saratoga, my brother drove out from Livermore to pick me up. Hopefully I can get San Jose BMW to pick up the bike on Tuesday.

Sorry I missed the ride and tour!
2018 SR
2016 Honda CB500X
2022 BMW F900XR

ESokoloff

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2018, 06:59:15 AM »

I got to Saratoga -- then another rider asked if I knew my rear tire (which has < 400 miles on it) was nearly flat. S--t! ............

Glad things turned out as well as they did for you. 

There are many reasonably priced tire pressure monitoring systems available now.

I'm using this one,
https://www.amazon.com/FOBO-FB1574-Bike-Black/dp/B00YCAVGMK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1525049477&sr=8-1&keywords=fobo+bike+tpms

After almost 1 year of ownership, I can report that I'm very satisfied with it with the exception of the battery life not as long as stated.

Eric
2016 Zero DSR

heroto

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2018, 07:30:13 AM »

When you visited the mother ship, did you ask them why it takes 2-3 months to get parts and accessories to their dealers?
Another poster used the term "professional", but that's not what I'm seeing away from their home base. Embarrassing would be a better term.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 07:32:38 AM by heroto »

togo

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2018, 12:45:13 AM »

I got to Saratoga -- then another rider asked if I knew my rear tire (which has < 400 miles on it) was nearly flat. S--t! Bikes parked in Saratoga, my brother drove out from Livermore to pick me up. Hopefully I can get San Jose BMW to pick up the bike on Tuesday.

Sorry I missed the ride and tour!

Oh, man!  Sorry I missed you, didn't notice you were there!

There was a gas station right there.  If it was a slow leak, you could maybe have made it, it wasn't such a long ride.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 01:22:24 AM by togo »

togo

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2018, 12:50:22 AM »

When you visited the mother ship, did you ask them why it takes 2-3 months to get parts and accessories to their dealers?
Another poster used the term "professional", but that's not what I'm seeing away from their home base. Embarrassing would be a better term.

Well, we didn't ask them that specifically, but we did meet with the CEO, and there was some bluntness about frustration of the experience with dealers when it comes to service and parts.  It sounded like they are working out how to have regional factory service centers to deal with things that the dealers get over their heads with, handling turnover at dealers and the training problems that results in, and basically have to
(a) work out how to do a factory service center in a way that's fair totheir dealers and (b) set one up as an experiment.  It sounds like their investors are supportive of the concept, but just want to see it verified as effective before they commit to a major expansion like that.

Anyway, that's how I interpreted what I heard.

*Mod edit corrected for SMF formatting issue*
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 01:38:04 AM by Shadow »
Pages: 1 [2] 3