• May 06, 2024, 07:31:05 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Zero S 0-40mph poor acceleration  (Read 2877 times)

Electric Cowboy

• View Profile
    • Miller's Premium Brand Electrons : YouTube
Re: Zero S 0-40mph poor acceleration
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2012, 02:11:56 PM »

I tweaked foxie C pretty well too, but this was referring to my 2012.

If you want me to tweak your 2011 for you send me a message on FB and I'll let you know what you need to get so I can do it remotely.

amahoser

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2012, 11:41:18 AM »

I visited Hollywood Electric today and test rode their ZF9 with the Sevcon 6 controller.... Now that's more like it!!

First, a little background:
I was seriously looking at electric motorcycles earlier this year. Waited and waited for the Brammo and then finally went to Hollywood Electric to check out the Zero. While I did like the ZF9 overall, I was quite disappointed with the off the line acceleration. Felt like a 150cc scooter. Once rolling and at speed, the bike felt pretty decent... not spectacular, but decent. I was riding on city streets so I didn't test high speed acceleration. I've been riding for about twenty years and I currently own quite a few motorcycles. For me, the Zero just didn't cut it. Although it would be used primarily for commuting, I felt that the bike lacked excitement.

Fast forward to present day. The Hollywood Electric modified ZF9 is a blast!!! I cannot believe that this little rocketship only has 28hp. Initial takeoff is soft (no clutch would be the reason, i'm sure) but off the line acceleration is now fantastic. Pinning the throttle from 30 mph  produces so much torque and acceleration, it left me giddy! Its no superbike but from a rolling start at say 40mph, because there is no downshifting involved, you'll probably leave those superbikes in the dust... for the first 100 feet at least!

In my opinion, this is the way the bike should have left the factory.

Thank you Josh and Harlan for getting me excited about electric bikes again!

Jose Soriano

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2012, 12:00:30 PM »

Any videos of the size 6 controller in action? : )
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

Electric Terry

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2012, 07:35:13 PM »

I visited Hollywood Electric today and test rode their ZF9 with the Sevcon 6 controller.... Now that's more like it!!

First, a little background:
I was seriously looking at electric motorcycles earlier this year. Waited and waited for the Brammo and then finally went to Hollywood Electric to check out the Zero. While I did like the ZF9 overall, I was quite disappointed with the off the line acceleration. Felt like a 150cc scooter. Once rolling and at speed, the bike felt pretty decent... not spectacular, but decent. I was riding on city streets so I didn't test high speed acceleration. I've been riding for about twenty years and I currently own quite a few motorcycles. For me, the Zero just didn't cut it. Although it would be used primarily for commuting, I felt that the bike lacked excitement.

Fast forward to present day. The Hollywood Electric modified ZF9 is a blast!!! I cannot believe that this little rocketship only has 28hp. Initial takeoff is soft (no clutch would be the reason, i'm sure) but off the line acceleration is now fantastic. Pinning the throttle from 30 mph  produces so much torque and acceleration, it left me giddy! Its no superbike but from a rolling start at say 40mph, because there is no downshifting involved, you'll probably leave those superbikes in the dust... for the first 100 feet at least!

In my opinion, this is the way the bike should have left the factory.

Thank you Josh and Harlan for getting me excited about electric bikes again!

Jose Soriano

The sevcon upgrade I predict will be the most common and popular upgrade to the 2012.  Perhaps to be considered necessary for any spirited rider.  Just because you have more power on tap doesn't mean you need to use it.  But when that teenager on the cell phone comes over on you, with someone right on your back fender, you'll be glad you did it.  I'm very anxious for perhaps Richard Walker himself (CEO of Zero) to endorse and support this as an accessory upgrade to help grow the company by having more positive feedback and more ICE riders turn their heads and investigate whether a Zero will be their next bike as well.  Perhaps it coul be sold with a left side air duct to the motor or a copper tubing water cooling kit to help remove any excess heat produced to the motor.  But from my experience, the motor cooling is not a problem.  It's the controller.
100,000+ all electric miles on Zero Motorcycles - 75,000+ on a 2012 Zero S and 35,000+ miles on a 2015 Zero SR
http://www.facebook.com/electricterry
http://instagram.com/electricterry
https://twitter.com/electricterry

Lipo423

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2012, 01:13:41 AM »

I cannot agree more offthegrid.
They should put this as an available option, not to use it every moment, as you pointed out, but it is definitely needed.
Bikes: Kawa GPX 600, Suzuki GSX 750-R, Yamaha FZR 1000, Suzuki Lido 75, Peugeot SV 125, Suzuki Burgman 400, Suzuki Burgman 650, KTM EXC 250, 2012 Zero ZF9 - All of them sold -
2014 Zero SR 11.4, BMW C1 125, BMW R 850R
Pages: 1 [2]