Tech > Home Brew

Lightfighter Racing Blog

(1/19) > >>

ZeroBrian:
A little blog site to write about the development and race activities for my Lightfighter race bike.  Hope some here find it interesting! 

https://www.lightfighter-racing.com/

For those that missed the adventures of Lightfighter v1 last year, here's a nice recap: https://www.lightfighter-racing.com/post/lightfighter-version-1-lfr19

NEW2elec:
Thanks very much for the post.  Loved it (V1) when I first came across it and very glad to see you continuing with your efforts for V2.
Always a great idea to add lightness as they say and swap-able batteries should be a game changer for your future endeavors. 

I hope to see some videos posted as well.

Thanks again.

ZeroBrian:

--- Quote from: NEW2elec on October 17, 2020, 08:32:41 AM ---Thanks very much for the post.  Loved it (V1) when I first came across it and very glad to see you continuing with your efforts for V2.
Always a great idea to add lightness as they say and swap-able batteries should be a game changer for your future endeavors. 

I hope to see some videos posted as well.

Thanks again.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for checking it out!  Yes - we've had a great photo/video guy with us this season and I'll post some videos to the blog when he's done with the edits.  Unfortunately, there's not a ton of race action as we really only raced the v1 bike at Laguna in February and then v2 in August at Buttonwillow.   

Frank:
What a fantastic build!  Everything is common sense and logically developed, based on prior experience and a true understanding of what's needed.  Thanks for documenting this Brian.

Dyno question: did you have a chance to figure out how base speed changes as a function of voltage drop as the pack is used up?  I know this can't be changed on-the-fly but I'm curious as to the process you used to figure out it's setpoint.  It sure looks like that was a worthwhile couple of hours!

ZeroBrian:

--- Quote from: Frank on October 17, 2020, 05:53:10 PM ---What a fantastic build!  Everything is common sense and logically developed, based on prior experience and a true understanding of what's needed.  Thanks for documenting this Brian.

Dyno question: did you have a chance to figure out how base speed changes as a function of voltage drop as the pack is used up?  I know this can't be changed on-the-fly but I'm curious as to the process you used to figure out it's setpoint.  It sure looks like that was a worthwhile couple of hours!

--- End quote ---

Frank - Thanks for the kind words.  As you know, the things that look like "common sense" in hindsight are often the toughest to come to when you're staring at a blank sheet of paper! ;)

I did not perform a sensitivity analysis to voltage/SOC with the base speed setting, but I did conduct the dyno test slightly down on SOC and I set the base speed lower than I would if I were just trying to post an impressive number.  It's a good idea and I would certainly do this if access to the dyno was a little easier to come by.  With another couple of dyno sessions, I think I could make further gains, especially now that I know the increase in peak torque had no ill effects (current control faults, etc...) on the track.  That said, there are equal gains to be had in optimizing our chassis setup and simply providing the rider with more time in the saddle to get more comfortable with the current performance level.  The Cascadia Motion (formerly Rinehart) inverter is a pretty bad @ss piece of equipment and although it's pricey, you get what you pay for.  I can see the power decrease with voltage over a full club race run, but the difference is almost imperceptible to the rider.   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version