• May 04, 2024, 08:42:15 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: 2015 SR VIN - wrong digit/character?  (Read 1205 times)

frode

• View Profile
2015 SR VIN - wrong digit/character?
« on: May 08, 2015, 01:41:15 PM »

Hello.

I haven't received my bike (2015 SR) yet, but the dealer sent med the VIN: 538SM7Z3xFCGxxxxx (removed control digit and serial number :) )

According to the manual the M7 part means "15 MY S/SR/SP (9.4)" and M8 means "15 MY S/SR/SP (12.5)".

Has anyone else noticed this error in their VIN?

Frode

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
Re: 2015 SR VIN - wrong digit/character?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2015, 06:26:05 PM »

There are no official 9.4 SR bikes. Possibly your bike was built with a frame meant for an S then they switched in assembly for some reason?
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

MadwitTY

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2015, 02:06:09 AM »

When I was purchasing my '14 SR and was trying to insure it, the VIN didn't show up when the insurer tried to use it. I can't remember if it was usable at the dealership. The insurer thought it was pretty strange though.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2015, 03:38:56 AM »

When I was purchasing my '14 SR and was trying to insure it, the VIN didn't show up when the insurer tried to use it. I can't remember if it was usable at the dealership. The insurer thought it was pretty strange though.

When I bought my used 2011 Royal Enfield last month the insurance company said that there was something wrong with the VIN in the title of the bike.  When I looked at the actual VIN on the bike it said ME, while the title said MF. When I told the insurance company that the VIN was wrong and it should read ME (the manufacturer's code), they were then able to find the bike in their computer system and I got it inured.  After that, I called the selling dealer and they had to inspect the VIN themselves and then had to contact the DMV and get the title for the bike corrected. (I sure am glad that I didn't have to deal with the CA DMV.)  :o  Now all is well with the title and insurance.   :) 

I sure love the Royal Enfield.  ;) It feels great to get off of a bike that doesn't like going faster than 60 mph and vibrates like a paint shaker and then go riding on the Zero.  It really shows off the different technology.  One from the mid-20th century and the other from the 21 century.  :)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 03:47:24 AM by Richard230 »
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Doctorbass

• Battery tech
    • View Profile
    • Endless-sphere.com
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2015, 09:07:39 AM »

No worrie guys... I HAVE A BIGGER PROBLEM than everyone here: The VIN of my ZERO 2012 S indicate that the power is 9kW... but it is required to have at least 12kW here to drive on the highway in Canada !!! The Canada transportation regulation agency use the european equivalence for power calculations.. and here to drive n the highway it is required to have  a motor of above 125CC.. witch is a class that is 12kW equivalent or more...

I contacted Zero and never got any response.. even the spec page of the 2012  mention a HIGHWAY range.. but here in Canada they stic with the power rating of from  the VIN...
But Ryan told me that the power they put on the VIN at Zero  is a power measured during a 2h test on a dyno and that mean the controller does not increase mre than 1 degree C over that period.. so the 9kW power is the power that meet that criteria if i have understod correctly...

But what is rediculous is that nobody seem to take care of the conditions the power rating is tested  and here in canada they just use the VIN.. that's it.. even the motor is  a 12kW continuous and 30kW peak...

other thing rediculous is that it is impossible to draw 9kW during 2h on the Zero S 2012.. it would require 18kWh... so with the real 7.9kWh this mean the same conditions could make the motor to work a higher power ( above that tested 9kW) for the time the battery discharge)... not for a 18kWh discharge..

So mine oficially can not ve drive on the highway !!! >:(

The power rating Zero measure and put on the VIN DOES NOT CORRESPOND TO WHAT "TRANSPORT CANADA" THINK IT IS......  Zero fin dthat power by using a 2h test that measure a stable temperature of the controller.. not the motor!

Ryan correct me if i'm wrong?

What is frustrating is that in Quebec province we have 5 Zero dealers and it's like i'm the only guy that debug most of the  technical problems customers have because all dealer say they just can't reach any support from Zero.. and they feel they will abandon Zero if that is is persisting!

In other words i'm contributing the best as i can  to help keeping the Zero products by making likely free technical support to the customers and dealers to not have them to abandon the Zero products due to bad customer/dealer  support.... Because i want Zero to Stay.

And in exchange  i can't get any  help to solve the problem of legislation regarding the wrong power on the VIN of  my  2012 S Zero!

That's really frustrating guys !

We love the Zero in our  Quebec province but the technical support is like not existing!.. I really miss the time we had Kent Aubichon as Zero Canada rep ! Until 2012 He was the man that helped alot !!

Doc
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 01:06:53 AM by Doctorbass »
Zero Drag racing bike: 12.2s 1/4 mile and 7.3s 1/8 mile

T w i t t e r  :     http://twitter.com/DocbassMelancon

Cortezdtv

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2015, 07:59:46 PM »

Sounds like what I had to deal with to get one of mine registered, my vin is correct, I didn't have the proper "smog sticker".   God I have the dmv
"I keep it real!"
Not endorsed by:
Zero motorcycles

07 Electricross
And a family of pre 14 Zero X's

ctrlburn

• 79_HD_Sportster 2013_Zero_S 2020_HD_LiveWire
    • View Profile
    • Charging Cycles
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2016, 12:47:48 PM »

I haven't received my bike (2015 SR) yet, but the dealer sent med the VIN: 538SM7Z3xFCGxxxxx (removed control digit and serial number :) )
According to the manual the M7 part means "15 MY S/SR/SP (9.4)" and M8 means "15 MY S/SR/SP (12.5)".
Frode
Yes - Same here 2015 SR 12.4 is VIN'ed with M7 now in my garage  (at least the "G" is correct)
I also checked another unit on the dealer floor - same result, a 12.4 SR with a M7 VIN.

I sent Zero an email as it seems an error in the owner's manual and likely trickled into federal paperwork.

LeftieBiker

• 42 Years of Motorcycling - 13 years with EVs
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2016, 12:40:58 PM »

My 2015 SR 12.5 Demo - still at the dealership in CA - also has "M7" in the VIN.
EV Ownership:

2001 Oxygen Lepton
2008 X-Treme XM-3000
2011 ZEV 5000LA
2015 Zero SR
Too many electric bicycles to list, mostly EZIP

CrashCash

• Denizen of Doom since '88
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2016, 01:56:58 PM »

Yes, my 2015 SR is a "M7" as well. At least it matches the title.

all dealer say they just can't reach any support from Zero.. and they feel they will abandon Zero if that is is persisting!

Yes, I went in to buy a spare belt & the accessory socket kit, and found out my local dealer is no longer a Zero dealer. The nearest is now 153 miles away. Ah well.
'07 FJR-1300 & '15 Zero SR
Pages: [1]