• May 04, 2024, 12:09:21 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Cable to access Main Bike Board setup  (Read 12001 times)

JasonS

• View Profile
Re: Cable to access Main Bike Board setup
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2015, 04:07:10 AM »

Posting a follow up on this to confirm that this pinout described by evtricity worked for me. 
My USB to TTL cable looked like his did, and the color of the wires matched up (unlike Burton's experience).

I'm also providing links to the exact items I bought to make mine:
USB to TTL Cable
OBD2 Connector

The OBD2 Connector might not be the ideal one (not all of the pins are connected to plated-through-holes that you can attach wires to), but, by soldering the wires directly to the backs of the pins, it worked.  The strain relief is good enough that I feel OK with that approach.

I do wish the cable was longer.  As it is, you're sitting on the floor by the back wheel, laptop on your lap, or you're perching it on the seat, hoping it doesn't fall.

Here are the parts and steps to create the cable:

Parts:
- USB to TTL cable (see photo below) with 5V (red), ground (black), tx (green) and rx (white) wires
- OBD II male plug (see photo below)

Steps:
1. Cut the connectors off the end of the green, white and black wires to expose bare wires.
2. Solder the wires to the pins on the OBDII connector as follows:
- black wire to pin 5
- white wire (RX) to pin 8
- green wire (TX) to pin 9
- red wire is not connected (+5V)
3. Plug cable in to Windows laptop and device should be recognised and driver installed successfully
4. Take note of COM port used
5. Connect cable to OBD port on bike (above the motor on Zero SR/DS/S not sure where on FX)
6. Turn on bike
7. Open Putty terminal program (freeware) and use Serial connection to connect to COM port (eg COM4) and set baud rate to 38200
8. Open connection and MBB prompt should be displayed (hit enter key if not)
9. Type help and hit enter to get a list of commands that you can run (see photos)
2002 BMW R1150RS
2015 Zero SR
Houston TX

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2015, 04:14:26 AM »

I broke down and purchased one of EC's diginow reaper dongles yesterday to avoid needing to use a laptop all together if desired. I will plug it in, tape it down to seal it better, and leave it there.

No more removing my "rain coat" which I tucked into the tank area (which is where my birds nest is) to access the ODBII connector :D

The funny part is I own EC's former race bike and it has this huge diginow sticker on it but I didn't own one lol Now when someone asks (which has yet to happen) I can pull out  my ipad and be like "this is what it is."
All content I have created here http://bit.ly/1NX4KP9

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2016, 11:10:31 PM »

I've wikified this now with at least the baud rate correction: http://zeromanual.com/index.php/Unofficial_Service_Manual#Diagnostics
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

TomerBA

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2016, 04:25:29 PM »

There are 3 password levels but the mentioned one will help you for the lowest level. (also for 2013...)

As much as I remember it will not allow you to change settings you need level 2 or 3 :-X

Hi Guys
Any progress in getting the passwords?

Thanks in advance :-)

Keith

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2017, 02:09:54 AM »

I've been working on improving the python log parsing software and could use some example decoded data. A set of files with both decoded text from the serial link and .bin files from the app on the same bike would be a great help in deciphering the binary files. I'm just starting with parsing the BMS logs. What data does the BMS command produce? Can you get a BMS log dump? Has anyone even tried communicating directly with the BMS?
2016 Zero FX, 2014 KTM 1190

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2017, 03:48:05 AM »

Hi Guys

Maybe this post is about the DigiNow data reaper passwords or I don't know it could be the MBB: http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=6587.msg52354#msg52354

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2017, 05:38:25 PM »

There are 3 password levels but the mentioned one will help you for the lowest level. (also for 2013...)

As much as I remember it will not allow you to change settings you need level 2 or 3 :-X

Hi Guys

It seems that you've been living two lives ______________ One life, you're Thomas A. Anderson, program writer for a respectable software company. You have a social security number, pay your taxes, and you... help your landlady carry out her garbage. The other life is lived in computers, where you go by the hacker alias "Neo" and are guilty of virtually every computer crime we have a law for. One of these lives has a future, and one of them does not.

(Not sure if the clue above still applies to the latest bikes though)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 05:41:52 PM by Justin Andrews »
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Cable to access Main Bike Board setup
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2017, 11:31:35 PM »

Hi Guys

Maybe this post is about the DigiNow data reaper passwords or I don't know it could be the MBB: http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=6587.msg52354#msg52354

Those are Bluetooth pairing codes for the dongles.

Inquire privately for Zero login passwords. (I wish we had a better method.)

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2017, 11:33:44 PM »

I've been working on improving the python log parsing software and could use some example decoded data. A set of files with both decoded text from the serial link and .bin files from the app on the same bike would be a great help in deciphering the binary files. I'm just starting with parsing the BMS logs. What data does the BMS command produce? Can you get a BMS log dump? Has anyone even tried communicating directly with the BMS?

Log dumps when connected via OBD-II do produce these. Not sure when my next opportunity for this is.

hubert

• '14 Zero S, nuke charged
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2017, 05:16:24 AM »

could communicate using the described USB-serial-OBD2 cable assembly.

Putty never wanted to open a communication window. Used Teraterm instead of. 38400-N-8-1-no-no very classical setting.

here is the BMS dump

2014 Zero S
Velomobile "Quest"
Mitsubishi i-MiEV

hubert

• '14 Zero S, nuke charged
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2017, 04:15:14 PM »

update

by the way, I never could get the BMS data throught app, only the MBB log.

The 1st level login uses PW "1.21gigawatts" and mainly enables setting of the "custom" torque/speed/regen parameters. Luckily, since on some Zeros this setting is not possible through the app. However, the figures are strange, e.g., regen 15% means 100%, or regen 10% means 66%. and the torque setting is somehow strange as well. Finally the max speed setting works fine but only in mph, which is not a great deal calculating for the non-anglo-saxons...

I would like to know higher level logins, especially thoses enabling speed calibration (currently the speed and distance indication is 5% excessive), and very basically, adjusting the onboard real time clock, which is not related to the clock display on the dash and currently 10 min ahead.
2014 Zero S
Velomobile "Quest"
Mitsubishi i-MiEV

Keith

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2017, 12:31:09 AM »

I finally got my cable connected and working. I had a lot of trouble, got the laptop part working, tried every serial setting there is (!), connected RX and TX together and got echo but no MBB prompt, ever. Then I happened to look inside the USB connector and found the problem. The cable ground wire was cold soldered by the factory and had come loose, no ground to the bike means no data transfer.

Now I know more of the MBB log parser unknowns since I can compare my app logs to the MBB bike event dump. Here they are:
Code: [Select]
0x31 0x00 0xb2 0x0c 0x3a ???
BMS Isolation Fault        BMS: 0

0x31 0x01 0xb2 0x22 0x2c ???
BMS Isolation Fault        BMS: 1

0x02 0x20 0x03 0xb2 0x46 0xfd ???
High Throttle Disable.     thr   = 800 mV
There are still some mysteries there, some of the hex is not decoded fully by the MBB, but this is progress and will make the parser software better when I find the time to update it. Again, I ask for any other examples of app log and cable log pairs so that other unknowns can be identified. There are seven more MBB known-unknowns, possibly more unknown-unknowns. BMS codes are all known unless more are discovered. Search parsed log files for "???" to find unknown entries.

https://github.com/zero-motorcycle-community/zero-log-parser/blob/master/log_structure.md
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 12:55:08 AM by Shadow »

Keith

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2017, 12:35:36 AM »

So three consecutive question marks turn into this ??? Huh!!! Probably someway to prevent that but what I meant was "? ? ?" with no spaces.

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2017, 01:03:41 AM »

I've edited your post and added 'code' '/code' bbcode tags around that block, as an example you can edit your post to see how to do this.  Sorry about the forum software clobbering your data.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2017, 12:57:35 AM »

I finally got my cable connected and working. I had a lot of trouble, got the laptop part working, tried every serial setting there is (!), connected RX and TX together and got echo but no MBB prompt, ever. Then I happened to look inside the USB connector and found the problem. The cable ground wire was cold soldered by the factory and had come loose, no ground to the bike means no data transfer.

Now I know more of the MBB log parser unknowns since I can compare my app logs to the MBB bike event dump. Here they are:
Code: [Select]
0x31 0x00 0xb2 0x0c 0x3a ???
BMS Isolation Fault        BMS: 0

0x31 0x01 0xb2 0x22 0x2c ???
BMS Isolation Fault        BMS: 1

0x02 0x20 0x03 0xb2 0x46 0xfd ???
High Throttle Disable.     thr   = 800 mV
There are still some mysteries there, some of the hex is not decoded fully by the MBB, but this is progress and will make the parser software better when I find the time to update it. Again, I ask for any other examples of app log and cable log pairs so that other unknowns can be identified. There are seven more MBB known-unknowns, possibly more unknown-unknowns. BMS codes are all known unless more are discovered. Search parsed log files for "???" to find unknown entries.

https://github.com/zero-motorcycle-community/zero-log-parser/blob/master/log_structure.md

That's great! I saw the code change just yesterday. For some reason, it was not clear enough to me how decoding progress was made, but this clarifies it a bit. In the worst case, one can always send trouble logs to Zero and ask to see the decoded result for an explanation and comparison.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4