• May 07, 2024, 08:58:45 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Question/Request/Quick Test for 2013 owners (opened up to include2014/15 owners)  (Read 1040 times)

WoadRaider

• View Profile
Re: Question/Request/Quick Test for 2013 owners
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2018, 09:40:28 AM »

This thread is somewhat relevant:  http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=6253.msg47911#msg47911
I used to be somewhat nervous about reversing with the key on, but no longer.
Good memory quixotic! I'd actually seen that thread before; but I don't think I read it carefully & definitely didn't realize it answered my question.

I finally remembered to test this.  with ignition off, a mild pulsing, both forward and backward (same as mentioned above).  And with key turned on, the pulsing plus a vaguely metallic whir, both forward and back (again, as mentioned above).  I have zero worry doing this (no pun intended). 
Ok, so that's good news for my motor. But our experience seems to be at odds, depending on how mild your pulsing is, with what was said on the thread you linked to; that we should only feel the resistance when pushing the bike backwards while it is also keyed on.
Just to be extra clear, by pulsing you mean the notchy intermittent resistance to being pushed (both on and off and in either direction) that I've been describing? Is it a strong enough resistance to where you'd notice it if you weren't looking for it?
Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 09:42:05 AM by WoadRaider »
perspective, use it

WoadRaider

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2018, 10:18:49 AM »

My MY13 SR with MY14 SR motor would feel the way you describe when pushing the bike when powered off.
Would you characterize the sensation as fairly weak and barely noticeable or easily noticeable and requiring more effort to push your Zero than other bikes? And do you know if the feeling was the same on/off and in either direction?
perspective, use it

quixotic

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2018, 07:47:32 PM »

This thread is somewhat relevant:  http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=6253.msg47911#msg47911
I used to be somewhat nervous about reversing with the key on, but no longer.
Good memory quixotic! I'd actually seen that thread before; but I don't think I read it carefully & definitely didn't realize it answered my question.

I finally remembered to test this.  with ignition off, a mild pulsing, both forward and backward (same as mentioned above).  And with key turned on, the pulsing plus a vaguely metallic whir, both forward and back (again, as mentioned above).  I have zero worry doing this (no pun intended). 

Ok, so that's good news for my motor. But our experience seems to be at odds, depending on how mild your pulsing is, with what was said on the thread you linked to; that we should only feel the resistance when pushing the bike backwards while it is also keyed on.
Just to be extra clear, by pulsing you mean the notchy intermittent resistance to being pushed (both on and off and in either direction) that I've been describing? Is it a strong enough resistance to where you'd notice it if you weren't looking for it?
Thanks!

It's a very smooth, mild, notchy intermittent resistance.  Still noticeable, though.  And with the key on, you notice a resistance on top of that which is not notchy, but more like a typical drivetrain resistance. 
2013 Zero S. Isle of Man Classic TT is on the bucket list.

WoadRaider

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2018, 12:18:04 AM »

It's a very smooth, mild, notchy intermittent resistance.  Still noticeable, though.  And with the key on, you notice a resistance on top of that which is not notchy, but more like a typical drivetrain resistance.
Interesting. If by "smooth" you mean the pulses/bumps of resistance are evenly spaced apart it sounds like you, more or less, have the same sensation I do (obviously we have no direct way to compare strength). But what's interesting is that you have an additional resistance, with the bike on, that is not notchy. I don't have that. That makes me wonder if the notching you're feeling is something unrelated to the motor (bearings, brakes, belt, etc..) and that when you turn it on you are getting resistance from the motor (notchy or not) that is melding with or being masked by the other resistance.
If I remember right your first comment was in line with the other thread you linked to; in that the only real resistance felt was when pushing the bike backwards when it is keyed on. But upon actually testing your bike you found two separate resistances that are present when moving the bike in either direction; a notching sensation similar to what I feel when the bike is off and on and a steady resistance when it is on. Do you feel they make it harder to move than a new ICE bike in neutral?
perspective, use it

quixotic

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2018, 08:19:20 AM »

Interesting. If by "smooth" you mean the pulses/bumps of resistance are evenly spaced apart it sounds like you, more or less, have the same sensation I do (obviously we have no direct way to compare strength). But what's interesting is that you have an additional resistance, with the bike on, that is not notchy. I don't have that. That makes me wonder if the notching you're feeling is something unrelated to the motor (bearings, brakes, belt, etc..) and that when you turn it on you are getting resistance from the motor (notchy or not) that is melding with or being masked by the other resistance.
If I remember right your first comment was in line with the other thread you linked to; in that the only real resistance felt was when pushing the bike backwards when it is keyed on. But upon actually testing your bike you found two separate resistances that are present when moving the bike in either direction; a notching sensation similar to what I feel when the bike is off and on and a steady resistance when it is on. Do you feel they make it harder to move than a new ICE bike in neutral?

And ICE bike in neutral has no sensation during keyless movement (except that given by the chain).  The pulses from the zero are extremely mild sensations.  I assume you'd feel the same, or otherwise something would REALLY be wrong with your bike.

WoadRaider

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2018, 11:25:00 AM »

And ICE bike in neutral has no sensation during keyless movement (except that given by the chain).
Right, or if it's not well maintained all sorts of other drag/interference can crop up. To my memory; the additional sensation of a keyed on (running) ICE bike is vibration, not resistance to being pushed.

The pulses from the zero are extremely mild sensations.  I assume you'd feel the same, or otherwise something would REALLY be wrong with your bike.

If that's how you characterize the sensation you're feeling I think it's fair to say the resistance on mine is stronger. Strong enough to where I have to exert a decent portion of my strength (I'm not that strong) to get the bike moving (once it's up to ~4-5mph it smooths out). It doesn't seem dangerous, and as far as I can tell there are no other symptoms or drawbacks, but it is annoying.
perspective, use it

quixotic

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2018, 07:20:26 PM »

And ICE bike in neutral has no sensation during keyless movement (except that given by the chain).
Right, or if it's not well maintained all sorts of other drag/interference can crop up. To my memory; the additional sensation of a keyed on (running) ICE bike is vibration, not resistance to being pushed.

The pulses from the zero are extremely mild sensations.  I assume you'd feel the same, or otherwise something would REALLY be wrong with your bike.

If that's how you characterize the sensation you're feeling I think it's fair to say the resistance on mine is stronger. Strong enough to where I have to exert a decent portion of my strength (I'm not that strong) to get the bike moving (once it's up to ~4-5mph it smooths out). It doesn't seem dangerous, and as far as I can tell there are no other symptoms or drawbacks, but it is annoying.

Yeah, that's definitely different than my bike.  Very easy push/pull with key off.  Only slightly more difficult when keyed on. 
Pages: 1 [2]