• May 08, 2024, 04:52:56 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: New rider and delivery time  (Read 2291 times)

AustinSZF8.5

• Zero S ZF8.5
    • View Profile
Re: New rider and delivery time
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2014, 11:50:39 PM »

You were in a parking lot, and feared you might "go over his hood..." How fast were you going in a parking lot?

Please excuse the dramatization, it was more a figure of speech than anything. I was probably doing 10-15 mph, I wouldn't have gone over the hood. Let's try again: The front of the kid's car was inserted into my path of travel at a very close proximity. I swerved to avoid him and lost the bike.

IMO the only people that say that adage about dropping bikes, are people that have dropped bikes. Like its an excuse for it, and its an inevitability... I also love how people call you a liar, if you have never dropped your bike. So because you have dropped your bike(s) that means everyone has dropped their bike... Im not saying you are doing this, just telling my experience.

I wouldn't call you a liar, I'd congratulate you and comment that you're the exception to prove the rule. One of the very few exceptions in my experience.
Jeff - Austin, TX
14 Zero S ZF 8.5
08 Kawasaki Versys
09 Honda CRF230L

97 Honda Magna - sold 2015
03 Triumph 955i Sprint ST - RIP 2013
87 Honda VFR 700 F2 - sold 2008
92 Yamaha Seca II - sold 2004

dkw12002

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2014, 11:58:22 PM »

I certainly remember every time I've dropped a bike, but I ain't talkin. Not all of them happened when I was a new rider. I have never dropped an expensive bike though. Dirt bikes don't count.

cloroxbb

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2014, 03:08:05 AM »

You were in a parking lot, and feared you might "go over his hood..." How fast were you going in a parking lot?

Please excuse the dramatization, it was more a figure of speech than anything. I was probably doing 10-15 mph, I wouldn't have gone over the hood. Let's try again: The front of the kid's car was inserted into my path of travel at a very close proximity. I swerved to avoid him and lost the bike.

IMO the only people that say that adage about dropping bikes, are people that have dropped bikes. Like its an excuse for it, and its an inevitability... I also love how people call you a liar, if you have never dropped your bike. So because you have dropped your bike(s) that means everyone has dropped their bike... Im not saying you are doing this, just telling my experience.

I wouldn't call you a liar, I'd congratulate you and comment that you're the exception to prove the rule. One of the very few exceptions in my experience.

Glad you didn't think I was being a dick. Only the question, was for you, and why I quoted :) I have had people call me a liar elsewhere for saying I haven't dropped it. Im sure someday it may happen, but I try to lessen the percentage of probability. :)
'16 Zero S 9.8

AustinSZF8.5

• Zero S ZF8.5
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2014, 12:38:31 AM »

Glad you didn't think I was being a dick. Only the question, was for you, and why I quoted :) I have had people call me a liar elsewhere for saying I haven't dropped it. Im sure someday it may happen, but I try to lessen the percentage of probability. :)

Sometimes that's all you can do. So much of motorcycling in general is minimizing (or mitigating) risk. I guess the whole point of the dropsie stories is to point out that it happens to so many, even those who are absurdly careful, so if it happens to you <shrug> don't feel too bad about it, ya' know? You're in good company. If you're not gonna' feel bad about dropping an expensive bike, sweet, your pockets are deeper than mine!  ;D  If that's gonna' make you feel real bad, maybe start with something cheaper that you won't care so much about until you get some experience and more confidence that the dropsies are behind you. I've got plenty of experience on two wheels and lots of confidence that I am less likely to drop a bike as many times in a given time period than I was when I started. I don't kid myself, I know plenty well that it could happen tomorrow, and I've just gotta' find a way to be okay with that.
Jeff - Austin, TX
14 Zero S ZF 8.5
08 Kawasaki Versys
09 Honda CRF230L

97 Honda Magna - sold 2015
03 Triumph 955i Sprint ST - RIP 2013
87 Honda VFR 700 F2 - sold 2008
92 Yamaha Seca II - sold 2004

krash7172

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2014, 10:24:46 AM »

Thread has officially gone off topic so I'll chime in. 2 drops in traffic / normal conditions. 6+ for various reasons that we don't need to talk about. :)
2015 Triumph Daytona 675R
2015 BMW R nineT
2014 Zero SR
2013 Ducati Monster 696
1991 Honda VFR 750
Pages: 1 [2]