• May 15, 2024, 09:49:52 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Vibration on 2013 S After Replacing Rear Tire  (Read 1773 times)

Spenny818

• View Profile
Vibration on 2013 S After Replacing Rear Tire
« on: July 31, 2015, 06:16:18 PM »

Hi folks,

I recently replaced the rear tire on my 2013 S at 16,000km. I installed an Avon RoadRider, however since it has been replaced I have noticed a slight vibration on the bike. It is most noticeable between 30-60km/h, and it almost feels as if you are riding on cobblestone. I don't hear any noise that is out of the ordinary, and I tried adjusting the belt alignment with no change. Any thoughts on what could be causing this?

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
Re: Vibration on 2013 S After Replacing Rear Tire
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 06:38:45 PM »

Wheel bearings, or slightly off-balance after mounting the new tire?
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

grmarks

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 07:26:45 PM »

I had this problem on my Aprilia ICE scooter. Felt like the front tire was elliptical at slow speed. It got worse as the tire wore down. I complained the the Aprilia dealer just after buying it, the response "probably the tires", no offer to try and fix it!
I lived with it until I wore the tires out. Put new tires on and problem was gone.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 08:20:37 PM »

The most likely thing to check is the wheel balance. Installing the balancing weights may not have been done correctly.

When wheel bearings go they usually make a rumbling noise first and can be easily checked by taking the wheel off and rotating the bearings with your finger.  If anything is wrong with the bearings they will feel "rough" when being rotated.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 08:46:18 PM »

I'd agree with Richard, most likely it's wheel balance, though that generally doesn't go away with speed, it usually gets worse. If you shop actually didn't balance the tire, you need to find a new shop...that's really basic stuff.

Is the belt tension correct? First time I had the rear replaced on my 2014 SR the mechanic over-tightened the belt, which caused a vibration that only happened in a range of speeds...higher or lower speeds were smooth. I loosened it a tad and it went away completely.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

Spenny818

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2015, 02:08:43 AM »

Thanks guys. I will check with the shop to see if they balanced the wheel. If that doesn't fix it, I will tinker with the belt adjustment a bit more.

hippiesparx

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2015, 02:30:29 AM »

Is the belt tension correct? First time I had the rear replaced on my 2014 SR the mechanic over-tightened the belt, which caused a vibration that only happened in a range of speeds...higher or lower speeds were smooth. I loosened it a tad and it went away completely.

There's no need to touch the belt when removing and replacing the rear wheel.
If your tyre fitter can't R&R the wheel properly or balance the wheel after fitting a new tyre, kick him in the nuts and find a competent tyre fitter.
2014 Zero S 2014 CFMoto 650TK
Fonzarelli Electric Moto dealer

Spenny818

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2015, 05:38:10 AM »

Just curious, but how do you replace the rear tire without touching the belt?

BenS

• Adelaide, South Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2015, 07:40:25 AM »

Lol, Spenny, I was wondering the same thing!
2015 FX 5.7, DIY Electric "Jesse James" chopper bicycle, and DIY Electric 26" Lowrider bicycle. ('10 KTM 530exc, '06 GasGas EC250, '06 YZ450F, '06 GSXR1000.)

hippiesparx

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2015, 03:43:33 AM »

Just curious, but how do you replace the rear tire without touching the belt?

I'm an electrician, not a tyre fitter.
These guys managed it, https://www.facebook.com/pages/Motorcycle-MAD-Mechanical-Dyno/440617306113827 .
Mick made the point that Harleys have a similar set up and that it saves arguments about belt tensions.
2014 Zero S 2014 CFMoto 650TK
Fonzarelli Electric Moto dealer

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2015, 03:08:27 AM »

Thanks guys. I will check with the shop to see if they balanced the wheel. If that doesn't fix it, I will tinker with the belt adjustment a bit more.
Take a look at your rim weights if they look new or not. It could be that the balance was spot on when they put the new tire one so they didn't need to install new ones but that rarely happens.

Spenny818

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2015, 03:16:21 AM »

It doesn't look like any rim weights were added. I am taking it back in tomorrow to have them check the balancing. I will report back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spenny818

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2015, 12:24:44 AM »

They had a look at it, and said there isn't anything wrong. One mechanic suggested it's possible it is a problem with a slipped belt on the tire, because he has seen that on Avon tires before. Maybe it's all in my head  :-\

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2015, 12:41:52 AM »

Seriously....just try loosening the tension on the belt a tad. It made my problem go away completely.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2015, 01:55:40 AM »

Seriously....just try loosening the tension on the belt a tad. It made my problem go away completely.

I second this. Also if you can use a flat jack to get the rear wheel off the ground and spin up the rear a bit it can help ID problems depending what happens when you do.

If I feel vibration in the rear the first thing I do is check for flat spots and tire wear. Then I check for wheel weights (I have had them fly off in my direction before btw). Then I check belt tension. Then put bike up on stand and check for sound with wheel off ground. If it is still there I remove belt and check front pulley for play and make sure the rear pulley is tightened down. Then re-adjust tension on belt when I put the belt back in place and check it again.
All content I have created here http://bit.ly/1NX4KP9
Pages: [1] 2