• May 16, 2024, 06:21:22 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: motorcycle trailers  (Read 2674 times)

DynoMutt

• View Profile
Re: motorcycle trailers
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2015, 01:42:08 AM »

I found a motorcycle trailer on eBay for 400.  It was something like 250 miles away though.

It cost me in gas and tolls almost as much as the trailer itself to retrieve it.

The behemoth I used to get it let me store the trailer inside, so I didn't have to worry about replacing the plate and registration until after I got it home.

dkw12002

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2015, 03:04:30 AM »

I discovered another possibility that hadn't crossed my mind until I saw a guy load a bike into his pickup but he backed up to a wall which lowered the distance to the bed. Turns out I have a patio that is raised 7" on one side and 15" on the other since I live on a hill. Heck, I could just ride the bike up a ramp onto the patio on the low side, back the truck up to the high side and ride the bike up the ramp into the pickup if I owned a 9' wide ramp ($400) unless I found a used one.  I then called around and turns out all the dealers unload and load bikes for you when you take them in. Who knew? They either have permanent ramps or they have portable ones and they do the unloading and reload for you. That leaves the issue of a dead bike, but turns out my driveway is slanted downward too, so heck, I could get a run at the ramp and load right from my driveway....I think. I could always get help too. I would still need a wheel chock $110 unless I make one. That U-haul rental is still looking like the best deal for me.

Yes, the Uhaul motorcycle trailer comes with a well for the wheel, but it is not a chock. Chocks have a rear ramp that you ride or push the bike over, and the ramp then rotates forward to lock the front wheel against the front of the chock which then requires a much simpler tie down because the bike can't really roll either forward or backward very easily. The chock would fit right up next to the Uhaul wheel well, but it is an additional expense depending on how safe and secure you want your bike to be. You would then secure the chock against the front trailer tie downs and the bike separately against the chock, along with tie downs from side to side in the back to stabilize the back of the bike from moving. That's the best way to do it from my research. 

pluto

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2015, 08:36:16 AM »

I have a Harbor Freight folding 4x8' trailer and wheel chock (has to be removed to fold the trailer for storage). I towed my S this past weekend with it behind my Chevy Volt and still got 40mpg after I ran out of battery. Trailer itself is pretty light - 250lbs I think. No annual registration cost up here in the great white north, pay once registered for life.

dkw12002

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2015, 06:58:05 PM »

I still think the best way to haul motorcycles is waiting to be invented. Seems like you could make a ratcheted hitch carrier that would use only a 6" off the ground ramp to ride or push the bike up, then use a traditional cruiser motorcycle lift since those go under bikes and have adjust down to under 5" and just lift the bike and lock the hitch. You would have to buy and haul around a separate motorcycle lift to do this, but that seems so much safer and cheaper than some of the Rube Goldberg techniques for loading motorcycles I've seen. Also no registration or trailer to store...or back up. I'm just too old to try and run a bike up the existing hitch carriers that are fixed 30" off the ground.

PhreaK

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2015, 05:24:17 AM »

There's quite a few design like this around: http://youtu.be/9MRpbS2harw. One of the nicer options IMHO.
2014 Zero SR

CrashCash

• Denizen of Doom since '88
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2015, 08:11:31 AM »

One of my friends that raced had an awesome trailer.

There was a long rail that went around the sides and front of the trailer. You unclipped this rail and it swung straight up, making an arch, and at the same time, the bed dropped *completely* flat to the ground. Roll the bike in, swing the rail back down, and it was ready to go.

It didn't tilt, the entire bed dropped flat on the ground somehow.

It was great if you were a racer by yourself at the track with no-one to help load/unload the bike.

Unfortunately, I don't know the make. I've lost contact with him since his wife said "get rid of the bikes and stop racing"
'07 FJR-1300 & '15 Zero SR

mikesubzero

• View Profile

ctrlburn

• 79_HD_Sportster 2013_Zero_S 2020_HD_LiveWire
    • View Profile
    • Charging Cycles
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2015, 11:19:26 AM »

http://www.harborfreight.com/400-lb-receiver-mount-motorcycle-carrier-99721.html

Very close on buying such a device (the 600# Rage) from Etrailer http://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Hitch_Cargo_Carrier-sf-Motorcycle_Carrier.aspx

Just last weekend I saw two motorcycles on an RV the inside one had handlebar removed to avoid bumping into vehicle and the rig had three supports to the vehicle frame.
Pages: 1 [2]