• May 14, 2024, 02:18:55 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: 2013 SDS Monolith Replacement Campaign  (Read 4377 times)

manitou

• View Profile
2013 SDS Monolith Replacement Campaign
« on: March 29, 2016, 05:45:37 AM »

Hot damn.. Looks like us 2013'ers are getting new batteries.  Here's a snip of the email I got about an hour ago:
"Zero Motorcycles is passionate about the quality and integrity of our motorcycles. We continually monitor their performance and conduct ongoing durability tests. As a result of our ongoing testing and current field quality data, we have concluded that monolith power pack performance in certain 2013 Zero S and Zero DS motorcycles is declining more rapidly than we believe is acceptable as a result of a power pack supplier manufacturing defect. As a result, we are announcing the 2013 Zero SDS Monolith Replacement Campaign whereby we will replace the ZF11.4 and ZF8.5 monoliths in affected motorcycles with new ZF12.5 and ZF9.4 monoliths at no charge to the owner."

Ndm

• View Profile
Re: 2013 SDS Monolith Replacement Campaign
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 05:50:48 AM »

Got mine 2 weeks ago, it's already enroute, I wonder if the new battery will be power tank ready and have a higher auxiliary charge fuse
2013 zero S  ZF13.0 , 2017 chevy bolt, 2008 IGO Titan bike

manitou

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2016, 06:00:38 AM »

Yea sorry.  I scanned for a subject line before I posted. Guess I didn't scan well enough.

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 07:57:01 PM »

Just read the email again ...

It would require my bike be at Zero HQ for a week ... 0_0 On top of shipping times ... ugh ... we are talking about 3 weeks minimal here given I am on the east coast ...

While I have access to a friends motorcycle (which uses gas of course) it still is going to be a pain. I think I would gladly pay shipping to have a pack sent to and from my dealer and simply take the 30 minutes it would likely me take to swap the packs and do it here ...

As far as I can tell ... right now the only thing connected to my battery is the removable molex connector on the rear and the bolts on the frame since my birds-nest is on top of the battery and loose and my external charger has been heat shrunk so I could reuse the Anderson SBS75X connector elsewhere on the bike.

Makes me wonder how many other "race ready" 2013's are going to have the same issues I will have with having the battery replaced at zero HQ ...
All content I have created here http://bit.ly/1NX4KP9

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2016, 08:29:06 PM »

I had my battery replaced last summer.  It took about 2.5 months with a good bit of the time spent with my dealer messing up the shipping.  When I talked to I believe Manny from Zero on the phone I asked if they would replace it with the 12.5 and he told me they are not compatible with the 2013 platform so they gave me a 11.4 2014 monolith.  It has worked fine so far but would prefer the better 12.5.  I must say this is troubling as I thought I just had a lemon battery no big deal it happens, but if they are all bad after 3 years what does this say about the current line.  I love the bike but 2013 was the "ok we got this now" year model as far as the battery and BMS went.  This will be one hell of an expense just in shipping costs.  I wish they had an east coast base.  It is very outstanding that they are taking this action to help customers just concerned the batteries might not be 300,000 mile ready.

Ndm

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2016, 09:05:31 PM »

I was told in the letter that I will be receiving the 12.5kw , hopefully the shipping back and forth and the week replacement won't go over the estimated timeframe, I'm still waiting for a response from zero to see if they will be making the power tank connection available for the new battery, that would be sweet!
2013 zero S  ZF13.0 , 2017 chevy bolt, 2008 IGO Titan bike

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2016, 09:10:46 PM »

Its pretty cool that zero is doing this.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2016, 09:14:00 PM »

I haven't seen an email for my 13DS, for what it's worth.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2016, 09:36:11 PM »

Just read the email again ...

It would require my bike be at Zero HQ for a week ... 0_0 On top of shipping times ... ugh ... we are talking about 3 weeks minimal here given I am on the east coast ...

While I have access to a friends motorcycle (which uses gas of course) it still is going to be a pain. I think I would gladly pay shipping to have a pack sent to and from my dealer and simply take the 30 minutes it would likely me take to swap the packs and do it here ...

As far as I can tell ... right now the only thing connected to my battery is the removable molex connector on the rear and the bolts on the frame since my birds-nest is on top of the battery and loose and my external charger has been heat shrunk so I could reuse the Anderson SBS75X connector elsewhere on the bike.

Makes me wonder how many other "race ready" 2013's are going to have the same issues I will have with having the battery replaced at zero HQ ...
Can't you arrange to delay the operation until after your riding season?

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2016, 09:48:34 PM »

You are funny my friend ... my riding season doesn't end ... I ride year round in DC without a problem :D

I am less concerned about the bike being gone for 3 weeks and more concerned about my dealer using their discretion and saying "nope we won't do it because of X Y Z" and me not being able to "fix" XYZ because I can't get parts ...

I have a good friend who needs work on his ninja 250 ... you bet your butt he will let me borrow it for 3 weeks to a month while I "fix" it for him and ride it to work lol

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2016, 09:49:22 PM »

Did you register your warranty or in the case of a second hand bike a warranty transfer ?

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2016, 10:22:06 PM »

You are funny my friend ... my riding season doesn't end ... I ride year round in DC without a problem :D
I also ride year round but if I have to miss my bike for a few weeks I prefer it to be in the winter :)

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2016, 10:25:51 PM »

Did you register your warranty or in the case of a second hand bike a warranty transfer ?

After 3 years, I don't remember, but have warranty work recorded with Zero. I'll ask my dealer.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Honor

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2016, 11:05:19 PM »

I just got my bike back from California. It was there all almost all winter (3 months) getting the monolith replaced to the 12.5kw. Perhaps Zero is speeding up the process but if you guys are planning to do it, I would prepare for a longer wait.

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2016, 12:11:42 AM »

I just got my bike back from California. It was there all almost all winter (3 months) getting the monolith replaced to the 12.5kw. Perhaps Zero is speeding up the process but if you guys are planning to do it, I would prepare for a longer wait.

3 months!?

I don't think that is acceptable my bike is my primary means of travel >__<

Man, I might have to buy another bike just to wait for this bike to be updated.

UPDATE: Re Re read it again.

It seems like what they are going to do is the following.
1) contact local rep.
2) take bike to local rep and they inspect bike to make sure it qualifies
3) if rep gives ok it is entered into Zero system and you take bike home
4) Rep calls you up one day and says "zero is ready for your bike"
5) you take bike to rep and it is out a week or three (depending on how far it ships)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 01:43:33 AM by Burton »
Pages: [1] 2 3