• May 05, 2024, 09:24:16 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Zero LED Turn Signal Installation on 2020 SR/S  (Read 963 times)

konacyclist

• View Profile
Zero LED Turn Signal Installation on 2020 SR/S
« on: November 29, 2020, 11:48:03 AM »

I recently had my Zero dealer install the factory accessory LED turn signals. Something doesn't seem right with the way the rear turn signals are contacting the passenger grab rail. I made some measurements and learned that the turn signals project further from the mounting point in the front than in the rear. The length in the front is 128 mm. The length in the rear is 115 mm. Is it possible that the dealer's tech mounted the front turn signals on the rear of the bike and vice versa with the rear turn signals? If so, the longer turn signals now on the front would extend further out and miss hitting the present contact point on the grab rail. Has anyone on this forum done this installation themselves?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 11:52:18 AM by konacyclist »
2020 ZERO SR/S Premium
2022 BMW R1250RT

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
Re: Zero LED Turn Signal Installation on 2020 SR/S
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2020, 01:12:57 PM »

Well, the installation instructions are here:  https://www.af1racing.com/OEM-Zero-LED-Turn-Signal-Kit-Clear-ZM10-08294-1

Are they different sizes?  Not according to the instruction manual.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

konacyclist

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2020, 11:07:21 PM »

Crissa,
Thank you for your response. When I picked my bike and asked for the old turn signals back, the instructions were not in the box. So, I am really glad to be able to print a copy. All 4 turn signals do appear to be identical. Until I read the directions, I thought perhaps the spacers, of which there are only two, should have been placed on the rear turn signals which would have provided clearance for the passenger grab rail. According to the instructions, my turn signals were installed correctly. The spacers are on the front turn signals. I don't know if placing spacers on the rear signals also is feasible. The threaded portion of the turn signal might not be long enough to allow this. I guess I need to get over the fact that the rear signals contact the grab rail and droop a little as a result. Thanks again.
Lou
2020 ZERO SR/S Premium
2022 BMW R1250RT

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2020, 02:31:22 AM »

Well, sometimes options don't all go together.  Glad you were able to figure it out.

If you figure out something, come on back and share it! ^-^

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

lunarx

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2021, 03:41:43 PM »

Crissa,
Thank you for your response. When I picked my bike and asked for the old turn signals back, the instructions were not in the box. So, I am really glad to be able to print a copy. All 4 turn signals do appear to be identical. Until I read the directions, I thought perhaps the spacers, of which there are only two, should have been placed on the rear turn signals which would have provided clearance for the passenger grab rail. According to the instructions, my turn signals were installed correctly. The spacers are on the front turn signals. I don't know if placing spacers on the rear signals also is feasible. The threaded portion of the turn signal might not be long enough to allow this. I guess I need to get over the fact that the rear signals contact the grab rail and droop a little as a result. Thanks again.
Lou

Interesting, I never would have guessed a factory accessory, would have a fitting issue.
Do you mind posting a pic?

I actually removed the Spacers, from my Front (Analog) Turn Signals, to help my cover slide on/off easier.

You wouldn't have any issues putting Spacers on the Rear Turn Signals, the threaded shaft is plenty long enough.

if you got the original Front Turn Signals back, you should have a spare set of Spacers (to now install on Rear LED's).
I confirmed, the Spacer Part#'s for LED & Original Turn-Signals are the same.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2021, 12:47:55 AM by lunarx »
21 SR/S, 16 K1300s

NervEasy

• View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2021, 06:58:16 PM »

I have fitted the factory LED blinkers myself.

The non LED standard blinkers have the spacers in the front. yhe LED upgrade blinkers need to have the spacers in the back.

With these spacers they just (the gap is about 1 - 1.5mm) clear the grabrails on the SR/S.

I can post pictures if needed.
2019 Zero S 11kw - 2020 SR/S

konacyclist

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2021, 08:56:56 PM »

That is good to know about adding the spacers to the rear LED turn signals. I will look to see if I got spacers back with my old turn signals.  It would definitely look better with some gap, even as little 1 - 1.5 mm. Thanks!
2020 ZERO SR/S Premium
2022 BMW R1250RT
Pages: [1]