• May 04, 2024, 07:54:13 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: External Super Quick Chargers?  (Read 1782 times)

gyrocyclist

• Zero. Because motorcycles should be seen and not heard.
    • View Profile
Re: External Super Quick Chargers?
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2019, 07:50:13 AM »

know it's a little over the saddlebag weight limit, but will the Elcon PFC 2500  Chargers  fit in those saddebags?
Yes, they do fit just fine, one in each Zero / Givi side case (I figured I will answer my own question since nobody else did, in case anybody else needs to know).

-Don-  Auburn, CA
FYI, I have two of the Elcons (not for sale) that I can carry in the side bags on my 2017 SR. My bike also has a charge tank. On a recent trip (from the Bay Area, CA, US, to Reno NV, US) I was able to charge -- using two J1772 plugs -- at 1C. One thing I learned: while most Chargepoint stations would let me use two plugs (I used my card for one, and my cell phone for the other), a couple would only let me use one plug, no matter what I tried.

Also, after a bit of experimenting, you can put both the elcons *and* the wiring harnesses in the side cases.
2018 SR
2016 Honda CB500X
2022 BMW F900XR

DonTom

• View Profile
Re: External Super Quick Chargers?
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2019, 09:23:33 AM »

FYI, I have two of the Elcons (not for sale) that I can carry in the side bags on my 2017 SR. My bike also has a charge tank. On a recent trip (from the Bay Area, CA, US, to Reno NV, US) I was able to charge -- using two J1772 plugs -- at 1C. One thing I learned: while most Chargepoint stations would let me use two plugs (I used my card for one, and my cell phone for the other), a couple would only let me use one plug, no matter what I tried.

Also, after a bit of experimenting, you can put both the elcons *and* the wiring harnesses in the side cases.
I purchased a couple of new Elcon PFC 2500's direct from Elcon in Sacramento a couple of weeks ago.  For $700.00 each. All programed for a Zero, but not the correct cables. So I  made my own adapters. I wired up two  50 amp Anderson connectors each with a  with 25 amp blade fuse direct to the motor controller battery terminals.  At home, I can charge at 8KW (using two Zero quick chargers as well), but only 6.3 KW while on the road. I have plenty of storage space as I also have a tank bag, travel trunk and I often carry a backpack as well, so the cables are no issue and don't take up much room anyway.

I have the Pwr Tank, so no charge tank.

BTW, I am from the SF Bay Area and I used to work (34 years) for the CC of SF.  Now retired for five years. And I was born in SF.

Next time you're headed for  Auburn, CA or Reno, NV or even Sacramento,   let me know if you would like to meet up. But I have been trying to avoid the SF Bay area as much as possible in the last few years.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X