Tech > Tech Help

Two wheel drive electric motorcycle problem

(1/3) > >>

tonylai:
I'm building a two wheel drive electric motorcycle with front hub motor and rear hub motor and no gear, which means there are no gear ratio.
But my question is:
When there are no gear ratio, can the front and rear's horsepower output be 50:50?
Is 50:50 the best performance? Or 40:60? 30:70?
Thanks for your reply!

Fran K:
You choose to put all that mass in the hubs and then ask about performance.  Then bring up % of power.  I would think % of ground speed would be key.

Yamaha with hydraulic front wheel drive

Alta/military project

Ubco utility vehicle

Christini two wheel drive that actually hired a pro Rider and entered competition.  They used a one way clutch that only powered the front when it turned slower than the rear.

tonylai:

--- Quote from: Fran K on June 13, 2021, 07:37:25 PM ---You choose to put all that mass in the hubs and then ask about performance.  Then bring up % of power.  I would think % of ground speed would be key.

--- End quote ---

Actually, I build it for my research, and yes, I agree that ground speed would be the key to maximum the performance of my 2WD electric motorcycle, but should I give the same throttle signed to front wheel and rear wheel?
I mean, should I give the same output/dirving force to these wheels?
Or should I give 40% throttle signal output to front wheel and 60% to rear wheel?

thanks for your reply!!!

princec:
Generally seems to have been implemented elsewhere as 30% front, 70% rear.
Your real problem is that you will lose half of the major traction advantage of 2WD if the motors are not actually physically geared together. With your design it will be possible to spin up the front and lose it, which is otherwise impossible with 1WD, and self-correcting with mechanically geared 2WD. In other words ... an advantage that can suddenly become a disadvantage.
Cas :)

T.S. Zarathustra:

--- Quote from: tonylai on June 13, 2021, 03:26:12 PM ---When there are no gear ratio, can the front and rear's horsepower output be 50:50?
Is 50:50 the best performance? Or 40:60? 30:70?

--- End quote ---

Horsepower output depends on the motor. 50:50 is easily achieved by using identical motors front and rear.
Define "best performance". Acceleration, speed, max power, torque? On what surface; road, track, asphalt, dirt, rocks?
Why not use two different motors and have high torque at rear and high speed at front? Gives you good acceleration and good speed. Then you can have the rear motor act as dynamo and charge the batteries at high speed for limitless range. (Just kidding, you can't  ;D)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version