Makes And Models > Zero Motorcycles Forum | 2013+

How about a 2013 FXU model?

(1/12) > >>

trikester:
I have placed an order with Hollywood Electrics for what amounts to an FXU model. It will be all FX in power, wheels, tires, etc., but mounted on the XU suspension for low stand-over height. Everything FX except the XU suspension. However, the factory won't build to a dealer's specifications, so Harlan will be making the mods himself. He will be creating the "FXU" for me.

I suggest to Zero that they add an FXU as a standard option. It won't cost them any design time, so it seems like a "no brainer" to me. I have had many happy years, and thousands of miles, of riding the ever popular Yamaha TW 200's, in all kinds of terrain. I'm an older rider (now 77) so I'm a "dirt cruiser" not a "balls out" "catch big air" rider and I don't need the suspension travel of a typical dirt bike. I like to be able to easily dab or tripod with my feet in some nasty situations. To me the FXU would be like an electric TW 200 (without the big tires), but with more power and all the other dirt riding benefits of Zero's electric bikes, including fantastic handling.

A lot of shorter women could go dirt riding with their boyfriends or husbands on this bike and be able to keep up, which the XU alone might have trouble doing, with its reduced power and street tires. The TW 200's have been popular for many years to this category of rider and even tall riders like me (6' 2") who have a relaxed dirt riding style.

Think about it ZERO. Add an FXU to your list of products.  8)

Trikester

protomech:
I think they missed out not giving the XU 5.7 a Size 4 controller. $2500 delta between both the FX 2.8/5.7 and the XU 2.8/5.7, but you get a lot more for the money in the FX.

Marshm:
The 2 bikes look very similar.  I wonder if the forks and shock are the same, just the spring length and something internal to limit how far they extend.  It appears the XU is 15 pounds lighter.  Thats a a pretty big difference.  I wonder where that comes from.  

How do they switch to chain drive because it looks like the rear sprocket for the belt is very large diameter.  It doesn't look like the gear ratio will be the same, because typically sprockets don't come that big for chain.  The switch to chain is typically for offroad use, but gearing faster is probably not what most offroad people want.  Anyone know the gear ratios of the belt verses the chain? 

amahoser:

--- Quote from: Marshm on November 14, 2012, 03:49:51 AM ---How do they switch to chain drive because it looks like the rear sprocket for the belt is very large diameter.  It doesn't look like the gear ratio will be the same, because typically sprockets don't come that big for chain.  The switch to chain is typically for offroad use, but gearing faster is probably not what most offroad people want.  Anyone know the gear ratios of the belt verses the chain? 

--- End quote ---

Belt drive generally uses larger rear AND front sprockets. I assume that this is because a belt cannot bend enough to accomidate a small front sprocket. When they switch over to chain, they use a much smaller front sprocket... and in turn use a smaller rear sprocket. The effective final drive ratio remains the same.

Jose Soriano

trikester:
The forks and shocks are not the same but they fit the same frame. That's why Harlan can make me an "FXU".  I get the high power controller of the FX with the lower stand-over height of the XU. I don't know where all of that 15 lb weight saving comes from. Probably a little here and a little there. The tires of the XU are probably lighter but of course I will have the tires of the FX and then probably change those to Kenda K270's.

As to chain conversion. When I changed my 2012 DS from belt to chain I actually geared it a little lower than the belt drive, on purpose. Yes the front sprocket is a lot smaller on the chain drive and so is the rear. I like the smaller rear as it is less likely to hit rocks.

Trikester

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version