Makes And Models > Zero Motorcycles Forum | 2013+

2013's and smart phone dashboard use?

(1/3) > >>

trikester:

Here's a thought for non-smartphone users like me who may (will) get a 2013 ZERO. I have read that the old, outmoded, horse and buggy, smart phones (meaning last year's, or really stone age two years old) phones can be bought for very little now. One could buy the cheap one and just not sign up for cell service. The wi fi connection should still work to connect you to the bike, just like a lap top computer. The problem, however, might be downloading the ZERO app to begin with, since the phone wouldn't have an ISP account either.

If there is a way to load the app into the device, without a carrier contract, then cheap old smart phones could serve as a digital dashboard on a 2013 bike, with no monthly cost. Being older and an outmoded model should also not tempt thieves as much.  8)

You smart phone techies, can this idea work?  ???

Trikester

amahoser:
Yep,
I have an old Android smartphone. Besides a small icon telling me that no SIM chip is inserted, it works just fine running apps, checking mail, etc. I can download apps on it via wifi.

You can use either an old phone or a "media player" like an ipod touch or an Android Media player if you want. They are phone sized and have all the smartphone functions without the phone part.

Jose Soriano

trikester:
amahoser,

Thanks! Here's a copy of the reply I posted on the "handlebar switch" thread to a reply posting there.

Thanks for the quick answer. I could see making some sort of "built in" instrument panel for the device where it would be more difficult to steal and it would always stay with the bike, as opposed to a phone that's in general use.

Trikester

manlytom:
So what features does the Zero have?
Display some info and interact to change settings like regen? While riding or just when standing still  like some car nav systems.

trikester:

--- Quote ---So what features does the Zero have?
Display some info and interact to change settings like regen? While riding or just when standing still  like some car nav systems.
--- End quote ---

I don't know if anybody has the answer to that question yet, outside of the factory.

Trikester

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version