Makes And Models > Zero Motorcycles Forum | 2013+

How about this product, Zero?

(1/2) > >>

trikester:

For the 2013's, that have quick remove batteries, I'd like to see Zero market an aftermarket portable charging station. It could either have a built in charger or use one of the external chargers now available from Zero (probably better). This would be a unit that a FX, XU, or MX battery could be plugged into, when out of the bike. Basically just a fixture to hold the battery and a mounted connector that it plugs into, just like the ones on the bike. Without the charger this shouldn't be a very expensive item.

There would be several advantages to this. Batteries could be brought into a motel or hotel room to charge so that the whole bike didn't have to be wrestled into the room, or the door open for an extension cord (been there - done all of that). Riders in cold climates could charge the batteries in the warm house instead of the garage and store them inside after charging. Rider training schools could take the batteries back to the office for charging each night, while their bikes were stored on site of the course (no AC power there). Last but not least, while one battery was charging with the 650W charger built into the bike, the other battery could be charging in the external fixture with the additional charger. Or, for those big long rides, while the bike is charging both on board batteries, a third battery is charging in the external fixture.  8)

How about this, Zero?

Trikester

BSDThw:
I think the MX Drivers will need it too!

protomech:
It would definitely make a lot of sense to introduce a quick-swap charging station for fleet sales. It'd be awesome if they also could configure the number of chargers; anywhere from a single charger @ 0.65 kW (8h charge) to 8 chargers @ 5.2 kW (1h charge).

Charging station might be too pricey for most residential users to buy - maybe around $7000 with 2x ZF2.8 modules and 1.3 kW charger.

For portable use, even a single 650W charger would charge two ZF2.8 modules overnight. Bear in mind that the modules are around 42 pounds apiece..

trikester:

--- Quote ---I think the MX Drivers will need it too!
--- End quote ---

I listed the MX (& XU) in addition to the FX in my posting.

--- Quote ---Charging station might be too pricey for most residential users to buy - maybe around $7000 with 2x ZF2.8 modules and 1.3 kW charger.

For portable use, even a single 650W charger would charge two ZF2.8 modules overnight. Bear in mind that the modules are around 42 pounds apiece..
--- End quote ---

You wouldn't be buying the batteries, they come with the bike. It would use one 650 W charger if you only owned one station.

I was just talking about portable use, motel rooms etc. Since it would work with the extra charger that Zero sells the only additional cost would be for the fixture. As I mentioned, that shouldn't be much since it's mostly a fixture to hold the battery and a connector for the battery and a connector for the charger DC output. No electronics in the fixture.

Of course some might want two of these so they can charge both batteries at the same time. I was thinking of one unit and you get up in the middle of the night and swap batteries after the first one is charged, Get up to pee and swap batteries - both charged by morning and you're on your way. ;)

There are lots of possibilities here.

Trikester

protomech:
For overnight charging it would make sense to have a charging harness with two module hookups. No need to get up halfway to change them.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version