• May 05, 2024, 08:56:03 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Alarm/Security for your Zero recommendations  (Read 1016 times)

ZeroPointZero

• View Profile
Alarm/Security for your Zero recommendations
« on: June 29, 2017, 03:18:20 AM »

I searched the USM wiki, the EMF and didn't see a topic on this.  My bike was recently F'D with whilst parked and resulted in some damage, and it could have been prevented had I incorporated a front brake grip lock and some sort of audible alarm system.  I don't want to wire a kill switch into the throttle as Ive read negative outcomes with that.  I even hesitate to wire a kill switch into the kickstand sensor, since that could malfunction causing the bike to shut down during riding.  I think the front disc lock would be a major PITA to put on and take off so that's off the list.  So does anyone recommend a simple solution that would incorporate an accelerometer sensor that triggers an ear drum piercing shriek if some asshat decides to move/touch/look at my bike?  It would be cool to be able to arm/disarm an alarm via Bluetooth as well, so I dont set it off accidentally...

I think the Ebike gets more attention and looks than my plain old Harley, and some of that attention has been negative as of late.  Considering the fact that I often "juice up" outside of businesses near the entrance/exit, the Zero is in the path of the General dumbass public a lot more than I would prefer, necessitating the alarm system.

ZeroPointZero

• View Profile
Re: Alarm/Security for your Zero recommendations
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2017, 03:40:32 AM »

So apparently my initial search for "alarm" and "security" turned up bupkis , but I now see there was an older topic from 2013 with no real resolution.

http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=3149.msg17871#msg17871

Булгаков

• давай быстрее!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 03:47:36 AM »

I think the front disc lock would be a major PITA to put on and take off so that's off the list. 

I don't know -- I use a disc lock every time I leave the bike, and it takes almost no time. It is purely instinct now.

I tried one of the Xena motion-alarm disc locks, and it was complete garbage. It would alarm so often with only the wind or rain that I had to return it. Now I use only heavy duty plain disc lock. Especially after some asshole rolled away my old motorcycle. Especially after some other asshole destroyed ignition on another motorcycle.

When was the last time that you heard somebody else's car alarm in a parking lot and you stopped working to go see if someone else was having their car broken into, and call police, or stop a [possible] thief? Most people would say, "never."

Also, steering locks are very easy to break.
2014 Zero 11.4

ZeroPointZero

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2017, 04:11:53 AM »

I'm wondering if this bully lock with pager is any good. 

http://www.motosport.com/Bully-Alarm-Lock-With-Pager

Wolfsbane

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2017, 06:27:48 AM »

I'm wondering if this bully lock with pager is any good. 

http://www.motosport.com/Bully-Alarm-Lock-With-Pager

Yup. I used one for several years on my old bike, and bicycle too actually. It works well, very sensitive though, which can be a good or bad thing depending on how you look at it.

Aikirob

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2017, 10:41:37 AM »

I've ordered a smarthalo for my bike, so not only can I locate it, it also has a very loud alarm and several other cool features.

ZeroPointZero

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2017, 03:51:46 AM »

I've ordered a smarthalo for my bike, so not only can I locate it, it also has a very loud alarm and several other cool features.

Any idea how many decibels the alarm is?  I watched a Youtube video of the alarm and it didn't sound very loud at all.

Aikirob

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2017, 04:39:22 AM »

Any idea how many decibels the alarm is?  I watched a Youtube video of the alarm and it didn't sound very loud at all.

The beeping alarm is 87 decibels, the full alarm is 107 decibels.

Topdown

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2017, 11:16:34 PM »

Interesting idea. Looks like it could be a good option. How do you plan to handle the light that comes on automatically? Will that reflect on the front display? Not sure if that could be disabled.

Aikirob

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2017, 05:15:27 AM »

Interesting idea. Looks like it could be a good option. How do you plan to handle the light that comes on automatically? Will that reflect on the front display? Not sure if that could be disabled.

Tape

GhostNdeMaSheen

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2017, 11:13:08 AM »

I just hooked up a Gorilla 9100 alarm to a Shorai LFX14L2-BS12 battery housed in a plastic container a little bit bigger than a 3 x 5 Index card box.  I picked this battery since it had a lot of amps for such a small size.  There is a smaller battery equivalent to a 9 AHr motorcycle battery.  The alarm is under the seat near the back of the bike with the remote/pager antenna about mid way under the seat.  The alarm works great and does not tap into the DC-DC power.  The battery box is locked in the powertank compartment (where the gas tank is on other bikes).  The battery also powers a Denali Soundbomb air horn that is triggered off the stock horn button.  Both horns also works at the same time since I'm not drawing current from the DC-DC power.  All it needs is the signal current to the stock horn to the 85 and 86 tabs on the relay. 
 With these two devices hooked up, it's been 33 days since and it still reads 13.36 volts but I have only used the alarm when I park in dubious locations. 

dukecola

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2017, 06:47:27 PM »

I use a cheap broken glass sensor alarm. Not as finicky as some motion alarms.  I also have a hotel doorknob alarm in the top case, doesnt false alarm from the wind, and is near100db. Good enough to scare away an amatuer or vandal f'n with the bike. But honsetly all those other rotor/brake locks can be defeated in seconds by a pro.
Pages: [1]