• May 12, 2024, 07:49:01 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: LiveWire vs SR/F article  (Read 260 times)

Richard230

• View Profile
LiveWire vs SR/F article
« on: December 29, 2019, 04:48:20 AM »

The Los Angeles Times published an article in the auto section of my newspaper today, written by Charles Fleming, that compares the LiveWire with the SR/F, after he rode both models.  He liked them both, but he liked the LiveWire a little better than the Zero.

His complaints about the LiveWire were that it's seat is too hard, the mirrors are useless and it is very heavy. He did not comment on the LiveWire's suspension compliance.  His complaints regarding the Zero were that its brakes were unresponsive, especially the rear brake, the suspension settings were too stiff for anything but a racetrack and the feedback from the front Pirelli Diablo Corsa III front tire was less than desired.

Near the end of the long article Harlan Flagg and his shop, Hollywood Electrics was mentioned several times.  Harlan is quoted as saying that the SR/F "is a pivotal product for us.  It is bringing in a new demographic into the room real motorcycle people."   ???
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

shayan

• View Profile
Re: LiveWire vs SR/F article
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2019, 08:46:09 AM »

I guess the Zero is great piece of engineering. The fact that it does not need complicated cooling systems for any component for it to operate in real world (non-racing) conditions is really incredible! The less complicated it is, the easier it is to maintain in the long term. I guess the harley has a liquid cooled motor and controller and air cooled battery (which is why it probably does not accept a high kW DC charging input), so its still not minimalistic. I would still like the Zero's to have a battery heater though.

SR/F is the first of the new gen models and is bound to have issues. Just like the first batches of Model 3 had (maybe even the early Model S's). Production quality issues will surely be corrected in the future and now with OTA kind of updates, software issues can be corrected even faster.

I think Brammo, if it were still alive, would've been the true competitor to Zero's. Those already started out with similar high spec components back then and with similar range figures as the Livewire :)

-Shayan
-Shayan

2020 Zero SR/F standard + ChargeTank

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
Re: LiveWire vs SR/F article
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2019, 09:01:56 AM »

I wonder about the negative braking reviews, as they're opposed to others' observations.

Kinda like the complaints on throttle response, as if they didn't know about the throttle modes?

Like, was something set wrong?

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5
Pages: [1]